Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 256 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2012 at 3:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
we might as well be speculating on what would have happened if the Martians had sided with the Nazis. (Hm, War of the Worlds II?)

Slightly off topic, but have you see the trailer to Iron Sky? Lots of intended camp in this movie.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Due to a comment by my good friend* Bradley Krawchuk, I am looking to read 100 books this year, starting May 1 (why put it off?). 

For this exercise, I am not going to include graphic novels or TPB (which I can read in an hour, easy) but will include books on CD; seeing as I now have about an hour of commuting every day, seems like a good use of time.

*by that I mean, "someone I have never met nor even really interacted with much (that I can remember) but who has really good ideas"
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

1) "The Rook" by Daniel O'Malley

A novel about a mutant, super-powered operative of England's supernatural secret service, who not only has to stop what looks to be an invasion by Belgium's Scientific Brotherhood of Scientists (must sound better in German) but also find out who stole her memory.

An interesting First Novel, but in places tries too hard to be Douglas Adams-ish witty. Entertaining, tho.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

2) "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, as read to me by Tim Robbins

The most beautifully written crime drama I've ever "read": lush descriptions and cryptic but fully realized characters. I've put off reading this until now, and with my commute decided to listen to classic books I've tried in the past, with name narrators.

Chris Cottrill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"The Wind Through the Keyhole" Stephen King
A Dark Tower novel.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"The Wind Through the Keyhole" Stephen King
A Dark Tower novel.

I have that in the queue, I really enjoyed the Dark Tower series.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

hmm, I lost track of the Dark Tower after "The Drawing of the Three." I think at that point i was getting disenchanted with all things King, and never went back to that series (tho I've tried a few of his other books since).

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 17 May 2012 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

After a fairly steady diet of zombie fiction, I read Stephen King's latest, "11/22/1963" which deals with time travel and the JFK assassination.  Very good read, had a "Byrne" kind of feeling from a time travel perspective, IMO.

I've also been reading "The Hollows" series by Kim Harrison.  It's more or less "girl" fiction, with a female protagonist and some gratuitous romance/sex in each book, but the urban fantasy world that she's created in "The Hollows" (which takes place in a somewhat alternate version Cincinatti) is very compelling, as are the characters themselves.  Not the best stuff I've read, but it's kind of a fun romp.  Feels a bit like an Americanized version of Harry Potter for adults, sort-of.  Also, with werewolves, witches, vampires, and demons, what's not to like?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

3) "Taft 2012" by Jason Heller.

Mildly amusing book about the 27th President appearing in modern times after a mysterious disappearance, tries to adjust to this new world, public groundswell forms behind him to have him run as 3rd party candidate . . . you've heard it all before.

What could have been a biting satire of consumerism, politics, or any number of things, instead becomes a barely-drawn background to a book that is not about much of anything.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Having just finished an excellent book on the Teapot Dome scandal, I find it hard to believe that there would be a groundswell of support big enough to nominate a president who essentially sold his position at the White House to Big Oil.  The media being what it is would have a field day with a candidate like that.  Even die-hard Republicans distance themselves from Taft!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Finished the book on Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett.  Excellent.  Hightly recommended for anyone with an interest in Southwest history and the lives of these two men.  I've always been interested in cowboys, gunslingers and the Old West, so this book was right up my alley.  A happy case of perfect timing, I was in Costco over the weekend and noticed THE LAST GUNFIGHT: THE REAL STORY OF THE SHOOTOUT AT THE OK CORRAL AND HOW IT CHANGED THE AMERICAN WEST by Jeff Guinn.  Snatched it up and am now just starting it.  

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Gave up on AIRPORT. When I started, it had much the same feel as HOTEL, which I quite enjoyed, and I thought the fact that the whole book takes place in the span of about seven hours might add something -- but instead, I all too often found myself thinking Yes! Yes! We know! Get on with it!!

Still working on THE RISE AND FALL OF THE THIRD REICH. "Working" perhaps not a fair word. It's very well written, and doesn't feel like work.

<< Prev Page of 256 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |