Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Steve Ditko’s Alpha Flight Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 1  

Aurora didn’t need to be wearing a black turtleneck body-suit if you ask me… it’s not as cold as you all think it is up here!

And Aurora herself said she wasn't affected by the cold, until after Walt 'fixed' her powers for her.  Frankly, I love Aurora's full body costume.  It doesn't get any sexier than that.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 2  

The guy screws with another artists' characters while riffing on a Ken Steacy/Bruce Timm art style.

Ken Steacy!  Thanks for that: had been trying to think of the name of the artist that did AF in Marvel Fanfare:

Marvel Fanfare Vol 1 28.jpg
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 3  

Marvel reprints in the UK often would feature a main story with a back-up story or two (they used to slice and dice so that they only printed part of each story per issue). Machine Man used to run as a back-up story in one of the comics I collected, but I forget which one. Maybe Transformers or Secret Wars.

Peter - I think MM appeared in Transformers; wasn't it AF that was the back-up story in the UK Secret Wars reprints?!

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 4  

Ryan wrote:
Aurora didn’t need to be wearing a black turtleneck body-suit if you ask me… it’s not as cold as you all think it is up here!

And Aurora herself said she wasn't affected by the cold, until after Walt 'fixed' her powers for her.  Frankly, I love Aurora's full body costume.  It doesn't get any sexier than that.

Also, I guess he missed it when Aurora changed her costume?

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 20 January 2012 at 10:00am

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 5  

Matt H. wrote:
Frankly, this guy's attitude is disgusting.

Agreed. Shows a lot of gall.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 6  

Sasquatch is still perfect, but I wanted to draw him anyway, so there.

Given how it turned out, not sure I would have bothered...

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 7  

Posted this before in another Alpha Flight thread last year, but since we're discussing attitude...

QUOTE:

JMH: What is the Canadian Legion? What are its origins?

RICK: The Canadian Legion came out of my pitches to Marvel back when Joe Q and Bill Jemas were just starting out there at the top. I’d spoken to both of them about an Ultimate Alpha Flight. I was told two things; fans don’t care about Alpha Flight, and Marvel doesn’t hire people they don’t know. So with the idea that I had to make a name for myself first to get work there, I decided to do an Ultimate Alpha Flight book on my own. I wanted to prove them wrong that fans could and would support a Canadian superhero team.

But when I started dissecting the old Byrne issues and breaking them down to analyze and rebuild, I realized something strange. The characters were pretty lame. I mean they worked great in the 80’s and they still have a kind of edge within the Marvel universe, but at their core, they are weak concepts. A fish girl, a guy in a cheap Iron Man suit, a Sasquatch, a little person named after a rubber hockey puck, two super-speedsters and a shape changing supernatural cop. When you look at characters like Captain America or Superman, their iconography, their core concept is so strong that you can create a Fighting American, A US Agent, a Supreme, a Superior, or whatever and fans can still relate to it. How do you relate to Puck?? His novelty exists solely in his originality. So I decided to drop any similarity to AF, drop the homage and start from scratch.

http://comicbookinterviews.com/2011/07/interview-rick-evans/

Apparently, his book is finally reached publication stage, but what I've seen so far of it doesn't exactly blow my socks off in the slightest. 

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 8  

Bill wrote:
Apparently, his book is finally reached publication stage, but what I've seen so far of it doesn't exactly blow my socks off in the slightest.

The artwork samples look awfully amateurish. And I couldn't disagree more with his assessment of the AF.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 9  

How do you relate to Puck?? His novelty exists solely in his originality.

Wait what? Puck is lame but he is such an original character that he can't be copied. What a moron.

This is why Alpha Flight has failed under everyone but JB. He made such a unique group of characters that had a special voice to them. It's a testimate to his ability and vision that no one can cookie cutter it and make it work.

I find those who tear it apart are angry they don't have the creativity to match JB's. Losers.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 10  

I couldn't read that entire article. He wanted Alpha Flight, found he couldn't come up with anything as original, so he took what he wanted and tried to make the next Superman. His "Guardian" is essentially Captain America, but not. What a poseur.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 11  

Paul wrote:
Wait what? Puck is lame but he is such an original character that he can't be copied. What a moron.

Yeah; frankly, it's a pretty BIZARRE criticism.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 20 January 2012 at 10:47am

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 12  

The artwork samples look awfully amateurish. And I couldn't disagree more with his assessment of the AF.

The artists who worked on the Canadian Legion actually do good art...  But apparently not for this book (or writer).  ;)

If I remember one of Richards Evan's past blog entries correctly, the first artist, Jake Bilbao, was apparently no longer on speaking terms with him after the first issue (s ?), and the second one, Francisco Patronzini has moved on to other projects.   Evans has also blamed his first publisher Arcana for basically causing a host of production problems:

The promo art that was released a long time ago looked good:

But, the interior art of the actual book(s) looks rather weak.

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 20 January 2012 at 11:04am

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |