Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: is superman boring? Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Message
Terry Thielen
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 30 May 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 480
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

I found this topic on Comicbookresources that recounts thoughts by Gail Simone (who does not understand why anyone would think he's boring) and gives snippets of other creators thoughts. 
I thought it was interesting. One guy says that he found that people in lower income areas really like Superman and people that are a bit more well-off didn't.
So, I'm pretty sure most people on here know that Superman doesn't have to be boring, but does he end up that way? Do you have friends that think he's boring?
Back to Top profile | search
 
Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 26 May 2005
Location: England
Posts: 11718
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

He`s only as boring as (bad) writers make him.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail
 
Terry Thielen
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 30 May 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 480
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

here is what Phil Jimenez (a nice guy I had the pleasure of sitting next to at a con a few years ago) is quoted as saying:


I find most folks resent Superman for being so good; he remains a constant reminder of the lack of moral and ethical wherewithal of most consumers. He just doesn’t let anyone off the hook (we all know that if Superman has a bad day, he’s still gonna be a pretty good guy at the end of it). Many readers prefer characters who embody revenge fantasies to aspirational ones, anyway. But I’m with you, Gail. I love that character, just the way he is.


Back to Top profile | search
 
Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 25 March 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 8369
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

I totally agree with Phil's statement. And it's not just Superman.
People seem to look for reasons to justify there immoral and unethical
behavior. To point out such behavior gets you labeled as "self
righteous and judgemental".
Back to Top profile | search e-mail
 
Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 17 June 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12185
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

He`s only as boring as (bad) writers make him.

***

Indeed.

I think the character, in the right hands, is anything but boring. I think his moral compass can lead in interesting directions. What would Superman do, for example, if he was confronted by someone who had brutally attempted to murder Lois Lane? It might be easy/easier to write for a vigilante character who would just throw the would-be-murdered off a roof, but Superman's moral compass would mean he'd have to step back from temptation and figure out what he's going to do. 

He's also one who could face temptation. It must be tempting to break every law and throw Lex Luthor into jail. If he wanted to, he could use his super powers to frame Luthor. He could allow a burning building with Luthor in to continue to burn, but he'd rather save his enemy. That's an interesting character, if you ask me.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 28 July 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 32264
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

He`s only as boring as (bad) writers make him.

**************

This.

But, this holds true for ANY character.

Back to Top profile | search
 
Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 16 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 4560
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

Right on, Phil. Perfectly articulated. It also shows how limited some people are when it comes to accepting the myriad different personalities that make up our group consciousness. It's this clannish, tribal mentality in microcosm that gets us in trouble again and again. 

Sure, I prefer Batman if given a choice, but Superman is right there behind him as my second favorite DC character. There are times when you should want to read about people better than you are, as there are times when you want to explore the psyche's of those on your level or below on the morality/ethical scale. That's what makes it all interesting. 
Back to Top profile | search
 
Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 21 September 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 2279
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

John can correct me but I would think that Superman is harder to write than
other characters as his powers would make finding challenges a little more
difficult unless you're going to go with silver-age style madness. I would
think that the flash and GL come with the same challenge.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 17 June 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12185
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

Sure, I prefer Batman if given a choice, but Superman is right there behind him as my second favorite DC character. There are times when you should want to read about people better than you are, as there are times when you want to explore the psyche's of those on your level or below on the morality/ethical scale. That's what makes it all interesting. 

***

It can also be inspiring. I've found Superman a very inspiring character at times and he has helped me. It's always important to have real role models (parents, siblings, teachers, sports coaches, etc), but Superman can be inspiring. I always found the TV shows, the Reeve movies, the Superboy series and Mr Byrne's run inspiring as it showed a Superman who was sensitive, but strong.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 16 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 4975
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

Superman is certainly not boring... if so, he wouldn't be the HUGE ICON he is worldwide for so many decades. Sadly, today's writers are too concerned with DISSECTING him and his origins rather than just writing good stories for him. We get it - he's superhuman from another planet - let's just tell stories about him taking on serious threats and villains as he proves himself 'Earth's Mightiest Protector'.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www
 
Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 10 June 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 5765
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

One of the reasons I think I've never been able to really get into Superman is that things are too easy for him. I don't mean fights and his powers, though. I mean his personal life. He was raised by great parents, is very successful at the job of his dreams, and even has the girl of his dreams chasing after him (or married to him). I think heroes with more struggles (not flaws) are easier to identify with and more interesting to root for.

I still like the guy...I just like many more characters much better.
Back to Top profile | search | www
 
Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 06 September 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 10461
Posted: 07 December 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 12  

He`s only as boring as (bad) writers make him.

***

Exactly.  



Edited by Aaron Smith on 07 December 2012 at 3:49pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail
 

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |

Forum Jump

 Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login

You are currently viewing the MOBILE version of the site.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL SITE