Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Favorite Joker artist? Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2013 at 11:49pm | IP Logged | 1  

To answer JB's followup, my first Joker was Marshall Rogers, which probably explains why his is my favorite joker.

Eric Kleefeld brought up Marshall Rogers doing deliberate casting for the Joker. I believe he did, but it wasn't Cesar Romero or Jack Nicholson. I believe he went back to the basics and used the same model as Bob Kane, Conrad Veidt from the 1928 silent film "The Man Who Laughs." 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 26 March 2013 at 11:51pm
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 1:01am | IP Logged | 2  

Who really drew that page?  Was it Jerry Robinson?

Yep.  Jerry created the Joker and Robin, and drew their first appearances.  He was Kane's first assistant, and took over the art chores very, very early on. 

I'm still amazed that I got to talk shop on multiple occasions with such a major figure in comics history.  And to put things in perspective when it comes to WORLD history, here's a fun story from his 2004 Comics Journal interview:

"I have to tell you one little anecdote about the family. I said my father brought his grandfather over from Russia. That’s how they did it in those days, they sent for the next one to come over. My father’s father had died at an early age in an accident. He never came to America. He died when my father was fairly young. But his grandfather was living and my father brought him over. He lived in Trenton. I never met him, because he died before I was born, but my eldest brother Harold, who was 17 years older, knew my great-grandfather.

"He lived to be 116. He was reputed to be the oldest man in New Jersey. They didn’t keep records nationally at the time, but he might have been the oldest man in the country, and maybe even in the world. It always fascinated me. I thought that the story of my great-grandfather was apocryphal, but one of my cousins sent me an article from a Trenton paper, about 1911, that had a whole-page interview with him. Sure enough, it was a year before he died. He was only 115! He was still living alone, mind you. Took care of himself. When they came to the house to interview him, he was in the backyard chopping wood for the wood stove. He did a little jig for them. One of the questions, which fascinated me, was they asked him what was his earliest memory as a child growing up in some rural village in Western Russia. He said he remembered there was a big event in the village. Everybody ran out to the road — probably just a dirt road then — because there was a big parade. What was it? It was Napoleon on his way to Moscow. This is 1812. So my brother knew the man who saw Napoleon."

The whole thing's here.  Jerry was an amazing guy.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 1:24am | IP Logged | 3  

I really like Marshall's Joker too, and a main reason is cited above... that he went back to more realistic proportions for Joker's face and chin.  As much as I love Adams' work, I think he went too far with an elongated chin that appears cartoony.  And then all the other great 70s artists (Aparo, Novick, Garcia-Lopez) followed suit.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 4  

That excerpt in Brad's post (post 7) reminds me of an amusing exchange I had with Dick Giordano in my early days at DC. I had drawn the Joker without his characteristic smile, and Dick wanted me to redraw it, insisting that it was impossible for the Joker NOT to smile.

I pointed out to him that the VERY FIRST IMAGE of the Joker seen in the comics showed him without the smile!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 5  

I never noticed that. I like the idea that the first time we see the Joker, he's not smiling, but he pretty much is from that point on for the next 75 years.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 6  

Anthony V. thanks. That was the digest I read in the late 70's.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

That digest was my first exposure to the Adams Joker story, as well.  I found it at age 14 and I think it kept me reading comics at a time I was beginning to think about veering away. 

BTW, my favorite Joker artist is probably Aparo, though Adams' one contribution (did he ever draw the Joker professionally again?) is a close second.

Edited by Rick Senger on 28 March 2013 at 2:02pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

I pointed out to him that the VERY FIRST IMAGE of the Joker seen in the comics showed him without the smile!

The non-smiling Joker scared me more than the smiling Joker! It's one reason I really dislike the idea of a forced smile scaring Joker. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Raj Dhami
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

It would have to be either Mr Byrne's Joker as he appeared in the Superman series or Marshall Rogers / Terry Austin's Detective Comics run for me....Terry's inks seemed to bring an edge to Rogers' pencils that inkers like Dan Green (e.g. on Dr Strange) could not.

John's Joker seemed way more threatening though! 

Chris Rayman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

My favorite is Bolland.  My first was either Aparo or Garcia-Lopez.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

Marshall Rogers for me too.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2013 at 1:54am | IP Logged | 12  

On the subject of the temporary mandate of not featuring classic Batman villians in the late 60's, I never got that. I love this period of Batman, of course, and think it's probably my favorite, but Batman's rogue's gallery, certainly at the time, were as down to earth as "superhero's" got. With the exception of Mr. Freeze, all of Batman's major enemies were human's and quasi-gangsters. 

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |