Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Manchester Bombing Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

Steve, I guess I don't know what you want from Muslims. Facebook posts? Speeches? Signed petitions? A phone call? 

Maybe you could provide examples from your own public record of condemnations and disassociations of the kind that could serve as a model for every single Muslim worldwide.  

Here's a link to Council on American-Islamic-Relations' statements on terrorism:   https://www.cair.com/about-us/cair-anti-terrorism-campaigns. html 

It may not count since they also condemn non-Muslim terrorism. 

Out of curiosity, does every Catholic in the world owe you a condemnation of the Irish Republican Army and pedophile priests? 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 2  

That's all I've ever expected from Muslims.  I haven't gotten it
+++
Steve, and you never will. In my opinion a huge part of the problem is that people tend to analyze Islam from a western stand point, with a mindset of someone whose set of values and experiences was built in the western world.
I have some first hand experience with different cultures since my wife's parents (both were born in China and moved to Taiwan to run away from communism) and I confess that sometimes I am dealing with aliens, because their mindset is very different, complex and hard to understand. My father in law only speaks chinese, even after so many decades living in Brazil.
On the topic of Muslim mindset, yesterday someone sent me a video on Facebook showing an execution, an individual was beheaded on the street. Things like that are common place for most of the Muslim population in the world who don't like in big cities, and even those, if we are include Saudi Arabia.
So, if we agree that their mindset is essentially different, and we include their belief in conquest, as describe in their sacred book, they move to western countries, don't fully integrate into the culture and when they reach critical mass, they start to impose their way of life.
Lebanon is the best example of what are now beginning to see in France, Belgium and even UK.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

"Apparently we all look alike to the terrorists. Maybe they mixed the countries up, the way you mixed the Netherlands up with a country that didn't participate in the Iraq invasion. "

And apparently, even Muslims look like Westerners to terrorists. Just the other day terrorists killed three Indonesian policemen in Jakarta. And last year they took hostage and murdered people in a restaurant in Bangladesh (but first letting go anyone go who could recite the Quran to their satisfaction). What did Indonesians and Bangladeshis ever do against Muslims and Arabs? 

Western aggression covers only part of the motivation for Al Queda, ISIS and other jihadis. These guys are motivated by a fanatic belief in their religion, which prescribes violence against unbelievers. All the hugs and kisses, prayer circles and chest-beating that the West can muster will not change their views, or prevent the violence they are yet to commit. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 25 May 2017 at 4:40pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

Fundamentalist extremism is a problem to be opposed wherever it raises its ugly head and whichever religion it springs from -- the odious idea that the contents of a religious book allows someone to impose their own religious laws on others, whether they share that religion or not.

I imagine the overwhelming majority of Muslims are frankly terrified by ISIS.  

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

THIS is worth watching:
"What British Muslims Really Think"

By Channel 4

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 11:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

"the odious idea that the contents of a religious book allows someone to impose their own religious laws on others"

==============

Bluntly put, the message of all religions is "do it my way or suffer". If a religion teaches about an afterlife, the consequence is usually Hell. Islam is a little different; it's a punitive religion. Not only are unbelievers due for punishment in "the hellfire" but they are subject to penalties by Muslim authorities while still on Earth. 

So it doesn't matter if you're of a faith other than Islam, or if you're an outright atheist. Violating Islamic law subjects you to punishment, which is what happened to victims of the Charlie Hebdo massacre. Most Muslims condemned that attack, but some of them disagreed with it only because they did not view the attackers as having the proper religious credentials to carry out that "verdict". 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 25 May 2017 at 11:45pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:43am | IP Logged | 7  

One of the biggest problems is that many of our
authorities and institutions are crippled by Political
Correctness.Many are screaming for the Muslim community
to do more,but it appears that even when they do raise
their concerns regarding suspicious activity from
individuals within their community,the authorities don`t
act for fear of causing offence or being labelled
racist.The same happened for decades with child sex
grooming rings of Muslim men.The police and Social
Services buried their heads in the sand.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 8  

It's not "political correctness" to not arrest people who haven't committed a crime yet because you think there's a chance they might. Might as well start arresting people who sing along to gangsta rap lyrics, internet trolls speaking of "second amendment solutions" to politicians they don't like, etc., etc. One of them is bound to do something, right? Where's the line?    

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 9  

A few weeks ago Immigration agents delayed an entire planeload of passengers from debarking at JFK to check their citizenship documents. They were looking for a criminal. My twitter feed was full of people who apparently have been waiting their whole lives to live in a country where they can be arbitrarily ordered to produce their papers. The same people who've been waiting their whole lives for their tax dollars to fund $3 million weekly golf excursions. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 10  

But it IS Political Correctness to be presented with
evidence/informed of a crime,but to then do nothing,or
in some cases blame the victim for fear of being
labelled racist or `offending` a community.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 11  

Reform must be pushed. I saw some news about how things are going all wrong in Sweden, Italy and many other countries in which certain areas are basically "no go zones".

I was in Belgium early this year and I was told that certain areas are controlled and you can be beaten just for being white if you dare enter these areas. Stopping this would be an step in the right direction.
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------
And yet in another post you said you couldn't always believe media reports. It seems you pick and choose what you want to believe based on your own philosophy.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 12  

Remember Fox's reporting of Birmingham as no-go zone for non-Muslims? LOL

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |