Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Back To Basics Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just reading some of the Kurt Busiek Avengers circa 2000-2001 now and it is a great back to the middle! Mostly I'm loving it (and with George Perez, Steve Epting or Alan Davis art that's not very hard at all).

I actually was surprised how much I enjoyed Jim Shooter's return to Legion Of Super-Heroes that happened in 2008 (starting with #37), lots of balls in the air like JB and Busiek at their best, but it looks like they cancelled the book from under him and someone else came in to wrap-it-all-up in one final issue (#50). :^(
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2019 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
Just reading some of the Kurt Busiek Avengers circa 2000-2001 now and it is a great back to the middle! Mostly I'm loving it (and with George Perez, Steve Epting or Alan Davis art that's not very hard at all).

That's good comic book reading! George Perez's art was wonderful, and those Alan Davis issues were AMAAAZING! (Speaking of Davis... Like JB, his art is so phenomenal that his writing is undervalued!)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2019 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Not generally a fan of most of Bendis' big two output, but ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN was a very back to basics Spider-Man comic and I thought it worked very well. The entire Ultimate line was supposed to be sort of an all ages back to basics approach to the Marvel characters, but none of the other titles, especially not ULTIMATES, really pulled this off. Of course the book devolved to being just another grim and gritty Marvel comic but the early part of the run worked quite well. 
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |