Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.19--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Maybe! Looking around the web I still find these pages posted on many other sites--including a "John Byrne" Facebook page--where they gather tens of thousands of views. Some of those other sites even declare them to be "free", as if there is a charge for looking here.

sigh

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Brian Miller: "...Years ago when my cousin and I less-than-halfway attempted to break in to comics, we actually used the What If? idea from THE ART OF JOHN BYRNE as the basis of our story. We actually did a handful of pages..."

While still a teenager,  I did basically the same thing, only I did just a couple of pages. LOL! I so wanted to see the story based on JB's description in his interview,  and figured since it was likely never going to happen,  I'd do my own version.  I whipped up a couple of pages that covered the part of showing what happened to Professor Xavier. In addition,  I drew my version of Cyclops and Marvel Girl, using JB's headgear for Cyclops.  The drawings in "The Art of John Byrne" didn't reveal Jean's outfit,  or the lower part of Cyclops' outfit, so I came up with something of my own.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The above are two of the pages I did as a teen for my version of JB's "What If..." X-Men story. Even back then, I was unhappy with how I drew Marvel Girl in terms of her figure (especially those legs).

The sequential page was a retelling of what really happened, and the following page, for which I only got as far as rough breakdowns, had the Watcher show the alternate version of what happened to Professor Xavier, as JB described it in "The Art of John Byrne."

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This thread has caused me to do some research to understand what you guys had been talking about and the genesis of the ELSEWHEN issues 18 and 19. Man, how ignorant I was !!! ...I've found the mock JB cover for What If Magneto ... and I'm going to use as cover for issue 19when I print it for personal reading purpose...Just wow...

Neil James
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Way back when in 1979? 1980? I wrote (more like plagiarised) an X-Men story as if the X-Men had died in the Savage Land after the fight with Magneto. 

Jean, Prof X and the Beast reformed whoever was still around, Havok, Polaris, Madrox (at the time I never understood why Madrox wasn't an active character). I think I replaced characters in the Proteus storyline and kind of had the Beast saying Wolverine's lines and Havok replacing Cyclops, etc. I wrote it in an old out of date diary - it would've been rubbish lol. So What-If? stories have always been a favourite of mine.  

The strange thing about this Elsewhen series is how it has placed me back in the moment when I read the original series. I remember reading the 'Jean Grey' funeral issue in my bedroom listening to The Jam's "Down in a Tube Station at Midnight". Whenever I hear that intro to that song I think of that actual comic,  the smell of my mum's cooking (boiled ham and boiled potatoes) - it was 5pm on a Saturday and how sad I was about Jean Grey and the lyrics of the song are about a guy being attacked and killed on a tube station and his wife not knowing where he was. Although quite morose and depressing it's actually strangely comforting. 

Frank Miller's Daredevil issue where Bullseye killed Elektra has equally strong sensory memories for me. 

I was only about 10 or 11 at that time. 

Elsewhen is the ONLY ongoing comic I read. I ditched all the others about 10 years ago. All these multiple Earths, re-launching and basically the poor writing and disrespect of characters and continuity had ruined comics for life. Elsewhen is brilliant. Genuinely. And it's free. I would happily pay a subscription to keep it going. 

If only John Byrne had become the CEO or Editor in Chief at Marvel or DC. Imagine how those universes would be now. Now that's a 'What If?' worth pondering upon.

Neil James
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Something I've been wondering about...

In Days of Future Past Magnus gives Rachel a device that helps her send Kate back 'in time' into her younger self. (Or was it just to an alternate dimension and nothing to do with time?)  

Could alt-Magneto be using a similar device to cross into the Elsewhen world?

Was Rachel just a conduit for the device and not actually her own source of power to send people back in time?

Could alt-Magneto have trained alt-Jean to do the same as her potential 'future daughter'? 

So although a Prof X wasn't around to develop alt-Jean's telepathic abilities nor Rachel's 'time/dimension travelling' abilities - different Magnetos were around to train Rachel and alt-Jean.    

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

We moved so often when I was a kid—nine schools in 11 years—that I can practically tell time by where I lived. Another factor there is the comics I was reading at the time. And, of course, those fold together with sense memories of food and cooking smells. Among my favorites, mentioned before, is taking my weekly allowance to a drugstore that was a short bike ride away, picking up the latest comics (12˘!) and then scooting across the street for a KFC dinner to take home.

We only lived in that house for about a year and a half, but some of my richest comic reading memories are of lying on the living room rug eating fried chicken and paging thru the latest Marvels.*

~~~~~~~~~~~

* Technically not yet Marvel to me. Those corner boxes emblazoned with that name were about a year in the future.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Could alt-Magneto be using a similar device to cross into the Elsewhen world?

•••

No.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB: "...We only lived in that house for about a year and a half, but some of my richest comic reading memories are of lying on the living room rug eating fried chicken and paging thru the latest Marvels.*..."

I am now imagining all those chicken grease-stained comics!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Oh, you bet! Comics were transient things, to be read and reread until, often, they literally fell apart.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I remember folding up X-Men #135 of all comics to stick in a pocket! I'd had trouble finding X-Men every month so when I saw that as the new issue, even though I wasn't going to be home for awhile, I bought it. Have since bought it at least two more times.

One thing about a virtual or e-comic... no wear and tear!

Samuel P. Barden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2021 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Angel is finally here!!!  I will take what I can get.  I said the same thing in FF 250!!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |