Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.19--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Absolutely agree with Steven. Even if Wolverine heals injuries quickly, brain injuries are almost certainly more complicated-- and enough damage can result in memory loss and personality changes. 
Let JB do his thing here, folks, and work through what happens with Logan. I'd suggest it will pay off in ways we do not expect.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well, I hope so!!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wolverine's brain injury can help explain something that I've thought about before....how can Wolverine get drunk with that healing factor of his? If we go with ELSEWHEN's position that the healing factor does not operate as well on his brain, then that would make sense.

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

As far as drinks are concerned, I guess
his healing powers slowdown or diminish
the effect...thus he has to drink harder,
faster to get drunk...or only appreciate
the taste as his curse !
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Has he been seen drunk?

Anyway, the point in ELSEWHEN is not that his healing factor doesn’t work as well on his brain tissue. It’s just fine repairing cell structure.

Memory, tho, is another matter!

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The mantra for this series is “Patience!”
>>

I have tons of patience, JB -now hurry up and get going! <kidding>

I do also trust that Wolverine will recover eventually (as I know JB will "put the toys back in the box"), and I know that the dark phoenix fight needed consequences, but that doesn't mean that I don't want Wolverine's state to improve some... (I always want the best for our heroes you see)

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

On an unrelated note, I'm loving the look of Jahf in panel 3.  Never really thought much about Jahf before Elsewhen, but I am glad he is sticking around (so far at least).

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB: The mantra for this series is “Patience!”

I just woke up to the new, excellent page and realized we are quite a ways into the equivalent of JB's original run on the X-Men. 19 issues of JB's Uncanny run stretched (with a fill-in for #110) from #108-128.

They covered the intro of Vindicator/Guardian, Mesmero/Magneto, the Savage Land, Japan, Alpha Flight, Murder World, and Proteus.

ELSEWHEN is bringing one epic storyline after another. The Return of Magneto. Project Wideawake. Phoenix Awakened. The Return of Jean Grey. What If: Magneto Formed the X-Men?

This series is patiently moving the entire earth!

Edited by Mark Haslett on 17 February 2021 at 11:07am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

ITEM: I think Wolverine is a little too important to be left a relatively impotent vegetable. Will he get better? I'll bet on it. Will he be back to being Logan? THAT we have yet to learn!

ITEM: Magneto has always been able to toss Piotr around like a rubber ball. I'll assume that applies to any Magneto. I wonder if Colossus is more susceptible to magnetism as Piotr. Normally I'd guess "as much as any person" - but he IS a mutant. Could be interesting.

ITEM: I suspect Logan doesn't get drunk. I think he drinks the alcohol, feels the buzz - and then the healing factor cuts in, and doesn't allow him to lose control. I recall seeing him punch-drunk once or twice (bad-dum TISH) but not actually inebriated.

ITEM: Each page keeps building the surprise and tension to this story. It gets tighter and tighter page by page, and is ready to explode. I cannot WAIT to see what direction this is going! Thank you Mr. Byrne!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB wrote: Memory, tho, is another matter!

Memories are "stored" in several parts of the brain based on their types. Motor skills, like how to draw with a pencil are not contained in the brain the same way as the flavor of steak or a trip you took when you were young. It is pretty damned cool that JB is suggesting Logan's brain can structurally repair itself when damaged, but there could be memory and even skill loss. Perhaps this isn't the first time Logan has suffered brain damage and would certainly give a plausible reason for his inability to remember the past clearly. It would explain how someone trained in combat might not be so technically proficient of a fighter, but more of a brawler. Of all the things Elsewhen has expanded on from the X-Men, this is the most interesting for me.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Wolverine would certainly never suffer from any long-term physiological effects of alcohol. Alcohol making you drunk is a short-term chemical process, affecting neurotransmitters in the brain. Might his healing factor mitigate this? Possibly, but I'm not sure. Alcohol is mostly removed from the body by enzymes in the liver. Does Wolverine's healing factor mean he produces more of these enzymes? Once again, it's possible. His healing factor might also make him sweat it out!

I think he can probably get a buzz from booze -- or why does he bother?

Some interesting points you raise there, Eric L., about this perhaps not being the first time he has suffered brain damage. In fact, that comment has caused me to have a thought about where this might possibly be heading (not going to say what my speculation actually is, of course).

Edited by Peter Martin on 17 February 2021 at 11:55am

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2021 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Peter, it is possible we are on the same page, but like you I try not to speculate. Not always good at keeping a lid on it. Of all the things Elsewhen has expanded on from the X-Men, this one part is my favorite. Logan's brain and what happens when it is damaged, has caused me to think more about the possibilities than any other element. JB has kicked over a domino that initially seemed matter of fact, but has so much potential that my eyes keep peeling back a bit more as I think further on this one point.

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |