The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 94 Next >>
Topic: Customizing Statues and Action Figures Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Steve Lyons wrote:
I really like your Cap, John.  The execution is sweet, from sculpt to paint.

How do you like Kneadatite?  I've never used it, but I hear it can be kind of flexible when cured.

Also, does the cape keep that arm from moving, or is it able to move more to the back so Cap can use both hands to punch the bad guys out?

Thanks Steve!  I love seeing all the WIP pics and the finished product --- gives me a nice sense of accomplishment, along with memories of how I got there.

To answer your first question, Kneadatite is pretty cool stuff -- it smooths VERY nicely, and I didn't have any problem getting it to take details.  It also carved pretty easily after curing even though it cures to an almost-rubbery consistency.  I'd say it's pretty durable, and probably less prone to cracking if dropped than Sculpey.  I like the fact that Sculpey has infinite working time without setting up, though, and I felt a sense of urgency when working with Kneadatite even though the working time is hours and hours before it starts to cure (I make sure I leave Kneadatite pieces to cure overnight once I get it "right" to ensure that it really IS cured).  Overall, though, I think it's pretty neat stuff and I'm thinking about doing my next Eaglemoss Marvel Figurine in Kneadatite, so I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

I couldn't imagine doing the cape, collar, and the neck "cord" in anything other than Kneadatite, though -- the collar in particular came out exactly as I envisioned, and Kneadatite made it a snap to do the cord and buttons for the cape.  Great stuff, definitely worth checking out just to play around with if for no other reason.

The cape DOES keep the arm from moving, and the joints are very stiff becauce the sculpt consists of a mixture of a Superman torso and Martian Manhunter arms and legs -- and once I started on the paint-up it became clear that it was going to be too stiff to allow for motion without paint rub, so I just painted it as though it's a "static" piece for display purposes only (the head IS movable, so you Cap at least gets to look around a bit).  Thankfully, he's a pretty tall figure (as tall as the Martian Manhunter and not a "shorty" like the JLU Superman figure) so he looks impressive and heroic just standing there.

;-)

Edited by John Bodin on 31 July 2008 at 3:58pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thanks for the Kneadatite info, John.  It's pretty consistent with what I've heard, and I may have to get some to try.  I've used Milliput in various grades over the years, and Sculpey.  I've got it down to where I'll use Milliput if I need one piece that can be handled safely, and I'll do my original sculpts in Super Sculpey.  If I need more than one of a Sculpey piece I cast it in urethane resin.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
Steve I used to do the figures more, the only problem was, I would do a figure then they would make it, I did a ton of Star Wars that Hasbro produced at a later date, which got old really fast. So I have enjoyed doing figures I know, will never be made.

That was my problem with Star Wars, too.  I had a rather extensive list of figures I figured Kenner/Hasbro would never get around to producing.  Silly, silly me.  I am glad though, that they've improved the quality of sculpts and articulation over time.  They've set quite a bench mark for other lines to achieve, and I'm looking forward to their new Marvel 3 3/4" line.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Jodi, that Stan Lee MUGG is fantastic!
Can a John Byrne Mugg be far behind?
Though I don't know how well that would go over with the Chief himself.

John Bodin,
That Captain Marvel turned out great!
Taking pictures in progress is a good idea too.

I've done only one Justice League custom, in anticipation that they will eventually, hopefully do all the characters.

Edited by Lars Sandmark on 01 August 2008 at 8:16pm

Michael Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Jodi:

Wonderful Stan Lee Mighty Mugg!!!  I am coincidentally designing a custom Mugg for a good friend, esp. once the white and black blank Muggs are released (or are they out already?)

If you will indulge a few questions:

Was it difficult to paint? What kind of paints did you use? Do Mighty Muggs come apart for ease of painting? How were you able to get such a smooth finish? Did you seal it in some way (urethane)? Thanks in advance for the tips, and again, my congratulations on a job well done!

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That was my problem with Star Wars, too.  I had a rather extensive list of figures I figured Kenner/Hasbro would never get around to producing.  Silly, silly me.  I am glad though, that they've improved the quality of sculpts and articulation over time

Steve I just got the new 2 pack with the ewok and baby, I love it! The first SW figure I did was Slave Leia, it looked a ton better then the custom Slave Leia I saw at a toy show and my son wanted, it was 75.00. No way was I going to pay that much. I got so cocky I sent one to a friend that worked for Kenner, he sent back a Slave Leia they were going  to release. Jonathan was so excited I was mortified I sent my crappy Leia :0)

Jodi, that Stan Lee MUGG is fantastic!
Can a John Byrne Mugg be far behind?
Though I don't know how well that would go over with the Chief himself.

Lars Thanks so much, you are so talented it means so much for you to enjoy my stuff, your Challenge piece was amazing!!!! I had posted in the Marvel thread I was thinking of doing a Stan Lee Mighty Mugg and mentioned a Byrne Mighty Mugg, thought it would be cool and asked if it would be OK, I heard Crickets chirping. I would LOVE to do one, but until I get a yes or no, I will avoid doing one out of respect.

Michael thanks so much. The Muggs aren't too bad to do, I have enjoyed it, the dome head is the only problem, I just use a pencil after I prime it, the primer lets me erase. The blanks aren't out yet, I take a Stormtrooper Mighty Mugg and prime it with Krylon Primer, I love that stuff! I put on about 7 coats. I don't hurry this, I use thin coats to prevent drips. ( it kills me to cover the Stormtroopers, but they work well because they are mostly white)

I use a blank form I made to test how I want it drawn on the Mugg using this( (feel free to use it if you want) :

I don't take the Muggs apart, I worry they would break, they aren't too bad to paint their arms are up high and their legs are far apart. I use craft acrylic paints, they cost about 80 cents a bottle, they last forever.

Bothers me they call the peach one "Flesh"

I get smooth coats, because I put thinner coats on more often, which takes longer, which is a pain, but I enjoy the result. If you get new paint it hasn't really thickened so going straight from the bottle works too.

Sealer I use a Matte acrylic spray, I put about 4 coats on.

I buy everything at a place called Hobby Lobby, but you can find all of this on line.

After you have the mugg primed and penciled out I use a Pitt XS pen and do the outlines, the ink is permanent so you can put the colors on and it still shows thru pretty well. After I am done adding color I go back over outlines with a Small point Pitt pin. Then I seal it.

Sorry for the extra long post. Good Luck with yours. Please post it when you are done.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 30 September 2011 at 11:07am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

question answered

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 02 August 2008 at 12:05pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I say Black, however I defer to the authourities on the matter,
(meaning the character's creator and/or designer.)

A similar discussion transpired a short while ago regarding black vs. dark blue.
JB was pretty clear that Cyclops wore Black. As did the FF when JB 're-coloured' their costumes.
Meaning I customized these figures 'incorrectly'. I sure do like the metallic blue paint I used tho'.
I think it looks kinda neat.

Cyclops was a Northstar figure, the other two simply re-paints.

Edited by Lars Sandmark on 02 August 2008 at 2:02am

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Shaman's hair was done with clay, which busted apart while posing for the pics.

Michael with a haircut.
Customs Marrina, Shaman and Guardian.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 1:56am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Conan and Belit.
Considered making them all bloody and battle-damaged, but dint do it.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

USAgent and Hawkeye were just re-paints.

<< Prev Page of 94 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |