Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 31
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 05 -- Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2019 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I hope those truckers don't do anything rotten to Jean :-(

I'd be more worried about what Jean can do to those truckers.  Imagine a super-powered five year old having a tantrum.
Back to Top profile | search

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2019 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There was an old joke at Marvel that Doom always appears in the fifth issue of a new title. And a joke is all it was, since it wasn’t really true.

+++++++++++

Yet Mr. Byrne did the Spider-Man guest appearance in the third issue!!!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Imagine a super-powered five year old having a tantrum.

••

Coming soon to a computer monitor near you!

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There was an old joke at Marvel that Doom always appears in the fifth issue of a new title. And a joke is all it was, since it wasn’t really true.”

Aww, I was hoping for Doctor Bong!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Timothy Ewanyshyn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2024 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

When I saw the Magneto/Storm bit, this came to mind...

Seeing this brings to mind that I recently read UXM #94-153 again for the second time in preparation for diving into X-Men: Elsewhen.  I intended originally to read through to #137 and then read Phoenix: The Untold Story.  Instead, I pressed through to the end of the second Omnibus with the idea that it would be interesting and instructive to compare the continued storyline in Elsewhen with the "official" version.

I may have more to say about that as I go further into the Elsewhen chronology, but I want to comment on the Dr. Doom storyline in #145-146.  First of all, I view Dr. Doom as one of the great Marvel characters.  Many of the stories featuring Doom are great stories.  Unfortunately, UXM #145-146 are not included in that category, and I found that storyline to be disappointing and poorly executed.  The biggest crime of those issues is that the story is...   boring.  I thought posterity might be kinder to these issues in reading them again many years later but I stand by my original opinion.

I do not understand how you can take great characters like Victor Von Doom and the X-Men, and put them in conflict with each other, and have it be anything less than a stellar event.  Yet somehow UXM #145-146 accomplished this feat.  Perhaps it can be said that there are no bad characters but only bad storytelling.

Edited by Timothy Ewanyshyn on 16 August 2024 at 6:20pm

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2024 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The way Doctor Doom was portrayed in issues 145-147, he practically was a new character. And not one I'd ever care to read about again.

Timothy Ewanyshyn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2024 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As I've noted before, spending my formative years reading the serialized strips in EAGLE trained me, almost at an unconscious level, to think every page should end on a bit of a cliffhanger. Just enough to make the reader NEED to turn the page.

This page-turning cliffhanger aspect of your storytelling technique seems to be on display more so here in "And Call His Name Magneto" than in any of the earlier chapters.  Things are starting to come to a head in this chapter with a lot going on in different locations, from the X-Men's arrival at Muir Island, to Kitty's breakfast with Carla and Pablo, Xavier's conference with Captain America and his confrontation with Pablo the team's battle with Magneto, Jamie Madrox returning to Muir Island, and Jean Grey's departure from Anandale-On-Hudson.  All of this transpired in just 21 pages (up just one page from the usual 20 pages!).  No one can accuse you of a lack of economy and efficiency in telling a story!

Each of the pages in this chapter build momentum in story from beginning to end, and I can see that reading a page each day as these were parceled out originally would establish suspense in much the same manner and technique of the best daily and weekly comic strips. The experience is much the same when reading all 21 pages in one sitting in their collected version, so to speak, as I did; the story moves back and forth among various characters as the momentum builds to the end of the battle with Magneto and Jean Grey's big decision.  You always want to leave the reader wanting more.  Mission accomplished! I cannot wait to see what happens next!

Edited by Timothy Ewanyshyn on 16 August 2024 at 6:50pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 31
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |