Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: January 6 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2022 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think the term "activist judges" is overused.  Everyone wants judges to be interpreters of the law, rather than creators of the law, and they deem any judge who's interpretation they disagree with to be an activist.

At the most basic level, what the Supreme Court is supposed to do is read a statute and decide whether it is constitutional.  But the fact is, even when that is all they do, new law and/or policy is inevitably created.  For example, when the Brown court declared that racial segregation of schools violated the 14th Amendment, that changed the law of the land in many states, and effectively created a new law that said you couldn't do that anymore.  

Despite the vastness of the change, I would not consider that judicial activism.

In my opinion, activism occurs when instead of just upholding or rejecting a statute, the Court tries to re-craft the language of the statute to make it work.  We see that less often, but when we do, I think the Court is improperly taking upon itself powers that are properly vested in the legislative branch.

Edited by John Wickett on 30 March 2022 at 2:38pm
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2022 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Beginning this Thursday, Jan. 6 committee is set to make its case public with prime-time hearings... interesting to hear how this plays out. I will watch as much as my sanity can handle... but I'm hoping this isn't spun badly by our media.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2022 at 1:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Watching the live hearings which is being presented with a wealth of video footage. It never ceases to chill or sicken.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2022 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The presentation was stellar tonight. The case is being made in a way that puts tremendous pressure on Trump... and on Merrick Garland.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 10 June 2022 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Very well put, Mark - I agree. If there are no consequences, then January 6th
was just a rehearsal and we have worse things to come.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2022 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I believe Garland’s lack of action is calculated. I have to believe that in order to reconcile the absence of direct action against Trump and those closest to the plot. I could be wrong, but I think the calculation is to allow the Jan 6 hearings to unfold in the hope some public opinion can be swayed from The Trump supporter camps. We shall see. Day 1 certainly showed enough evidence to disprove many popular theories about deep state, Trump looks out for the little guy, etc. Now will people have the sense to change their minds or dive deeper into the nonsense.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2022 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

How did America end up with an insurrection?

According to Late night host Stephen Colbert, “It began at the Correspondence Dinner in 2011 when a black man made fun of a white man with a very small penis.”

-C!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2022 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I feel I don't need to watch, I already have a good idea of what happened and why it happened, and even before it happened who was naming the place and the day! It's just going to be adding some detail. I guess we're supposed to hope that people who backed or believed in the genius fake orange tanned one (though how could anyone believe him if he said the sky was blue without confirming it for themselves I'll never know) tune in and grab a clue not to put inflated con men in any position of power over others.

People and media laughed widely at the little corporal who had been writing manifestos in a prison cell once, and designing costumes and flags. He didn't even love his favorite dog, he tested out the cyanide pills on it because he didn't trust Himmler to have given him lethal doses. Social Justice Warrior supreme Jim Jones probably at least made sure to directly supervise importing the special kool-aid knock-off brand ingredient, he only tested that his believers would actually drink it. And Trump really wanted to share his tax record, protect people from covid, and save those "beautiful babies"... yeah, tell us another one; I'm sure he will.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 10 June 2022 at 6:29pm

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2022 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yesterday, I was switching back-and-forth between CNN and Fox News. CNN was covering the January 6 hearing, and Fox News was covering…random violent crimes perpetrated by black males.

So, do I think any Trump supporters will be swayed by the January 6 hearings? Nope!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2022 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

At this point, anyone who thinks January 6th wasn’t a big deal, or supports Trump, or supports Trump-supporting politicians, is dead to me. I don’t need people like that in my life. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2022 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

He and his election lie are the only bulwark against being 'replaced'! Which says something of the futility of their xenophobic cause in that nobody better would 'lead' them to that great 'again' time.

Again, if 'it' made consistent logical sense what would be the value of 'faith'? Remember the photo of a black woman with the 'I believe in Jim Jones' sign.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 11 June 2022 at 6:19pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2022 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Today's J6 hearings-

Vice Chair Liz Cheney: "the President rejected the advice of his campaign experts on election night, and instead followed the course recommended by an apparently inebriated Rudy Giuliani." LOL

Former Atty. Gen. Barr says trump had "become detached from reality."
The DOJ found allegations of fraud after the 2020 election were "without merit" and "usually based on complete misinformation."

Sidney Powell, what a piece of work.

The clown's Digital Director: the "Election Defense Fund" was a marketing tactic.

Cheney said of the next session: we'll look at trump's "plans to corrupt the Department of Justice".

-C!

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |