Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: One-Shot Pairings Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2023 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 1  

I bet they brought in Angelo Torres to make sure the likenesses were accurate on those rich kids (since caricatures were his specialty at the time as one of Mad's Big Three TV/movie parody artists).
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2023 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 2  

Here's one I just came across (well, I just noticed it was a one-shot pairing, that is)--

CHAMPIONS #11 penciled by Gil Kane and inked by Bob Layton
I'm always pleasantly surprised when I find out that two big artists of my childhood who I didn't think ever worked together--did!

That said, and though it's a nice cover, it's clear that Layton over Kane is not the best pairing.  Since so many of these one-shot pairings were covers, it makes me wonder if covers were just fairly randomly given to whatever inker was around or available or if it was more of an intentional experiment editors did with a mind towards using those teams again for long-term series.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2023 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

I was looking around for some later Ditko work, and I came across these interesting pairings from the early 80's Red Circle/Archie line.

BLUE RIBBON COMICS #5 penciled by Jack Kirby and inked by Rich Buckler
With their similarities and shared titles, I'm surprised that Kirby and Buckler didn't work together more often!  Since Kirby didn't do anything else for Red Circle, I assume that this was a left-over piece that Buckler found to finish?

BLUE RIBBON COMICS #3 penciled by Alan Weiss and inked by Rudy Nebres
I don't know what the editor was thinking pairing the super-finelined pencils of Alan Weiss with the super-heavy & overwhelming inks of Rudy Nebres, but the final result is quite strong.

LANCELOT STRONG #1 penciled by Alan Weiss and inked by John Severin
Here's another pairing I never thought would have worked, but John Severin did a great job finishing Weiss' pencils.

BLACK HOOD #1 laid out by Rich Buckler and finished by Alex Toth (with Gray Morrow insert)
I can see some of Buckler in the Red Hood on the motorcycle, but Toth certainly took the whole thing and made it his own!

COMET #2 penciled by Carmine Infantino and Inked by Alex Nino
'Tino and Nino!  An odd mix, but not bad.

COMET #1 penciled by Carmine Infantino and Inked by Alex Nino
I can hardly think of two artists more different than the loose/fluid Carmine Infantino and the blocky/splotchy/jagged Alex Nino, but sometimes pairing diverse artists is one of the things that makes comics interesting!

Edited by Eric Jansen on 20 February 2023 at 12:13pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2023 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

Buckler doing layouts for Toth. My head hurts.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2023 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wow.  I would never have guessed the artists on the Comet #1 cover.  After you pointed it out, I see Infantino in the Comet's face.  The woman reminds me of Mike Kaluta's Madame Xanadu covers from Doorway to Nightmare.

Edited by John Wickett on 20 February 2023 at 8:08pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2023 at 2:32am | IP Logged | 6  

Eric Jansen wrote:
Since Kirby didn't do anything else for Red Circle, I assume that this was a left-over piece that Buckler found to finish?
To me it has the look of later Kirby work.  Kirby was close to being retired from comics by this point... I think the only interior art he did on a comic after this was the second Super Powers miniseries.  So my guess is that Buckler simply commissioned him to do a new cover for this reprint collection, and Kirby wasn't interested in doing anything else for the company.  Buckler also got Steranko to do a couple covers for The Fly #1 and #2 around the same time.     

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 21 February 2023 at 2:33am

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2023 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 7  

I could put these in the Ditko thread, but there's a LOT that can go over there!  And, really, they fit here better.  They're (mostly) pairings I didn't even know existed!

JACK KIRBY'S SECRET CITY #1 penciled by Steve Ditko and inked by Art Adams

JACK KIRBY'S SECRET CITY #2 penciled by Steve Ditko and inked by John Byrne (with Clinton's face by Angelo Torres)

JACK KIRBY'S SECRET CITY #3 penciled by Steve Ditko and inked by Bill Sienkiewicz

JACK KIRBY'S SECRET CITY #4 penciled by Steve Ditko and inked by George Perez

If I may mindread a little bit, it appears that maybe Byrne and Perez enjoy partaking of the Ditko feel more than the others.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2023 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 8  

I mentioned this over in the Ditko thread but it fits here too.  The first ten pages of Micronauts Annual #2 are pencilled by Rich Buckler and inked by Steve Ditko (with the remainder of the issue both pencilled and inked by Ditko).  I'm pretty sure this was the only post-60s instance in which Ditko inked another artist.  Kind of an oil/water combo:

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2023 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 9  

Michael Golden and Russ Heath in Mister Miracle 24 + 25. The final two issues of this great incarnation kicked butt.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2023 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 10  

We've seen Neal Adams inked by Bernie Wrightson a few times (a couple of pages are upthread), but here's a Wrightson-penciled SWAMP THING inked by Neal Adams!

A few years ago (it had to be before Wrightson passed away in 2017), I visited Neal Adams at his booth at San Diego Comic-Con and it was just the two of us for a couple of minutes and he kept working on a commission piece as we talked.  (He was always working on something!)

I honestly don't remember if it was this exact piece (I found online) or not, but he was busily and happily inking a Swamp Thing (lightly) penciled by Bernie Wrightson.  I think he said Wrightson was paying him $500 to ink it (to resell? or it was already sold?), but I think he would have inked it for free he was enjoying himself so much!  There I was, always a little nervous the couple of minutes every year I talked to the legendary Mr. Adams, and he was talking a bit like a fan about Wrightson!

(I remember him inking Swamp Thing's head, so I don't remember if it was a different picture or if he just hadn't gotten around to the arms yet.)

Edited by Eric Jansen on 22 February 2023 at 11:09am

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2023 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 11  

BLUE RIBBON COMICS #3 penciled by Alan Weiss and inked by Rudy Nebres.

I love that cover! If they did interior work, I'd love to see it. Google wasn't pulling anything up for me.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2023 at 4:05am | IP Logged | 12  

Here's some curiosities.  (One sort of led into another.)

ADVENTURES ON THE PLANET OF THE APES #6 penciled by Jim Starlin and inked by Klaus Janson

ADVENTURES ON THE PLANET OF THE APES #7 penciled by Mike Nasser/Michael Netzer and inked by Klaus Janson

CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN #81 penciled by Mike Nasser/Michael Netzer and inked by Neal Adams

PLANET OF VAMPIRES #1 penciled by Pat Broderick and inked by Neal Adams

Edited by Eric Jansen on 23 February 2023 at 8:02am

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |