Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: One-Shot Pairings Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2023 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 1  

"Michael Golden and Russ Heath in Mister Miracle 24 + 25. The final two issues of this great incarnation kicked butt."

I missed the original Kirby runs on New Gods and Mister Miracle, having been 3 years old when Kirby's last issues came out.  So I was introduced to the Fourth World when they started back up in 1977.  I remember picking up Mister Miracle #22 at 7-11 and being blown away by the art.  The Marshall Rogers and Michael Golden issues were all spectacular, but I am partial to Rogers.  My first issue of New Gods was #15, which happened to be a fill-in issue by Buckler, which was good.  The rest of the run was by Don Newton.  Very solid stuff.  

In the 80s when DC reprinted KIrby's New Gods in baxter format, I devoured that as well.  Great comics!

Edited by John Wickett on 23 February 2023 at 7:41am
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2023 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 2  

I got the first MORBIUS Epic Collection, which contains his first appearances, most of his solo run in FEAR, and then a lot of his b&w magazine stories from VAMPIRE TALES.  (The second volume finishes FEAR and VAMPIRE TALES and contains a lot of guest appearances.  I would have preferred just one volume with the complete FEAR and VAMPIRE TALES solo tales.  Oh well.)  I haven't read the VAMPIRE TALES stories yet, which are mostly by Don McGregor & Pablo Marcos or Tom Sutton, and maybe those are great, but the seven FEAR issues are one long disjointed story started by Mike Friedrich, made wild by Steve Gerber, and then quickly finished up by Doug Moench (my two favorite writers!).  It's illustrated by Paul Gulacy, Gil Kane, Rich Buckler, Craig Russell, and Frank Robbins, with just as many inkers.  Some interesting one-shot (or rare at least) pairings here.

We start with some pages from FEAR #20 penciled by Paul Gulacy and inked by Jack Abel.  Abel always perplexed me as his fine lines were good for getting a lot of detail across, but they also had an empty feeling to them.  I think he inked Gulacy on a MASTER OF KUNG FU or two, but here's their Morbius.  Abel on Gulacy is my favorite Abel, but not my favorite Gulacy.

I was going to say it was nice to see a rare Gulacy Spider-Man, but, looking at this page of original art, I guess that Spider-Man head was a paste-up from probably another artist (and the Torch too).

Edited by Eric Jansen on 25 February 2023 at 7:32am

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2023 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

That Starlin & Janson pairing looks great, too bad they didn't combine a lot more!

I'd have loved to seen more Steranko Fly & Fly Girl, also Jim Sherman (I read an interview where he said he had hoped to do more but it just wasn't possible to live on the income from comics alone and he was a meticulous artist) because I liked the characters so much I had a lot of the '60s original run. Speaking of Sherman there was a pairing with Joe Rubinstein in a Legion Of Super-Heroes that was brilliant, more were with Bob McLeod which was also brill so not complaining. With Jack Abel was not so good.

Alan Weiss has made such sporadic appearances on various titles (another meticulous one) but Shazam #34 seems saddest as having been only a one-shot. I imagine him being insanely difficult for someone else to ink, thus he usually inked his own work. m #34 seems saddest as having been only a one-shot. I imagine him being insanely difficult for someone else to ink, thus he usually inked his own work.

There was a Joe Kubert inked by Russ Heath story in a '70s DC Tarzan that was pretty successful. Not having seen a lot of war comics however it might not have been their only pairing.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 25 February 2023 at 5:46pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2023 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
That Starlin & Janson pairing looks great, too bad they didn't combine a lot more!
Janson also inked the interior art of Captain Marvel #33.

Here's another fun one.  Challengers of the Unknown #82 featured art by Mike Netzer (Nasser) and inks by Joe Rubinstein... except for the first panel of page seven, which was inked by Bernie Wrightson:

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2023 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 5  

Speaking of DC's Mister Miracle revival... Marshall Rogers pencilled issue #19 and his intent was to ink it also, but he ran into deadline problems so he took it down to Continuity for help.  Rather than just divide up the pages, they decided to have some fun and instead split up the characters.  Rogers himself inked all the Mister Miracle/Scott Free figures.  But the other characters were parcelled out as follows:

Barda inked by Dick Giordano:

Highfather inked by Jack Abel:

Oberon inked by Allan Weiss:

Kantu inked by Al Milgrom:

Granny Goodness inked by Mike Nasser (Netzer):

Dr. Bedlam inked by Joe Brozowski:

And on the splash page, Rogers inked everything except Scott Free's eyes, which were inked by Neal Adams:

Also, Terry Austin inked the Vermin Vunderbar figures, but I'm not including him here because he's most definitely not a "one shot pairing" inking Marshall Rogers.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 25 February 2023 at 8:39pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

Going to have to pull out that Miracle Man now! Also have that Captain Marvel luckily enough. :^)

I knew Terry Austin started doing backgrounds behind credited inkers at first and thought I might have spotted his work... but why Ilya Hutch? An anagram I haven't deciphered?

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 7  

I was going to say it was nice to see a rare Gulacy Spider-Man, but, looking at this page of original art, I guess that Spider-Man head was a paste-up from probably another artist (and the Torch too).
?*
Gulacy also pencilled and inked Spider-Man vs Morbius on the cover of Spectacular Spider-Man #8, again with a John Romita paste-up for Spider-Man's head. I would love to see what Gulacy's original looked like.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hmm, now that's almost a thread in itself - different inkers inking different characters in the same issue. That's not very common, either. I can only recall JB having Joe Sinnott ink the FF in an issue of XM:HY.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

Any chance to see Sinnott inking was an occasion and that Hidden Years appearance was a major highlight of the series for me as I started back with FF #213 which had that combo.

There was a 'jam' issue of The Spirit magazine (#30) in the early '80s that had a long list of artists contributing which lead to some unique pairings. I should drag it out and see, I know there was a very brief bit of Byrne and some Frank Miller. I most remember a Trina Robbins and Steve Leialoha combination that visually was pretty interesting though seeming very different in style.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 10  

Vinny Valenti wrote:
Hmm, now that's almost a thread in itself - different inkers inking different characters in the same issue.
Another one that comes to mind is FF #39, inked by Frank Giacoia except for Daredevil who was inked by Wood.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

Here's some more of those odd MORBIUS pairings.

Some pages from FEAR #22 penciled by Rich Buckler and inked by Luis Dominguez.  Am I recalling correctly--I don't remember seeing Dominguez outside of DC comics?

It's not a spectacular penciler-inker pairing, but I liked this two-page spread and thought it deserved a view.  Remember when Marvel tried to get 20 pages out of artists but only paid them for 19, by having them draw one page on its side and printing it as two pages?  I think this is one of those.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 26 February 2023 at 10:57pm

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2023 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 12  

What If #32, What If the Avengers Had Become the Pawns of Korvac?, was another comic with character-specific inkers, including JB. Mark Gruenwald did layouts, with Greg LaRocque on "finished art", with the following embellishers: Rick Magyar (Arishem, Universal Armada); Jack Abel (the Avengers, Grandmaster, Korvac, Energy, Thor); Alan Kupperberg (Badoon); Joe Rubinstein (Captain America, Captain Marvel, Korvac: Ultimate, Watchers); Vince Colletta (Carina); Walter Simonson (Chaos, Order); Terry Austin (Collector); Alan Weiss (Doctor Strange); Mark Gruenwald (Eternity); Rick Bryant (Gardener); Bob Wiacek (Godheads, Stranger); Bob Layton (Galactus, Hercules, Iron Man, Korvac: Human); Al Milgrom (Guardians of the Galaxy, In-Betweener, Starhawk); Larry Hama (High Evolutionary); John Tartaglione (Humanity); Klaus Janson (Immortus); Herb Trimpe (Jocasta); Marie Severin (Living Tribunal); John Romita (Ms. Marvel); Frank Giacoia (Odin); Dave Cockrum (Phoenix); Steve Mitchell (Shaper of Worlds); Ron Wilson (Silver Surfer); Dave Simons (Vision, Wonder Man); John Byrne (Zeus); Frank Miller (Moondragon); Jim Starlin ? (credited as Himself) (Death)

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |