Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17
Topic: Trump Guilty Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2024 at 12:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Michael Casselman wrote:

If they were to get elected, I'd put good money on them using the 25th-amendment on Trump.

That does not strike me as a plausible scenario at all.  Trump is far too popular with his base, and seemingly immune to accusations of craziness and mental decline in the sense that absolutely nothing he says or does has any impact on their support.  Trump wouldn't stand for this, and thus his base wouldn't stand for it.  The elites tried hard to unite behind DeSantis and get Trump off the ticket this year, and we saw how that went.  

More to the point, I don't see why removing Trump would even be necessary, given how incredibly easy it is to manipulate him.  He's an excellent figurehead and the Project 2025 group can easily get him to do whatever they want while continuing to ride his popularity with his base. 

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 18 September 2024 at 12:44am
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2024 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If they were to get elected, I'd put good money on them using the 25th-
amendment on Trump.
I’ll take that bet. If elected he’s gonna surround himself with yes-men and
loyalists. There’s not one of them that would turn against their lord and
savior.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2024 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Vance announced he wants an apology from the media, because the bomb threats he inspired in Ohio turned out to be hoaxes, and "most" were from overseas.

Almost all bomb threats are hoaxes. That's why they are called threats and not bombings. The supposed international origin for "most" is hardly an alibi given MAGA's significant overseas cohort, Trump's serial acceptance of foreign assistance, and the existence of spoofing technology, not to mention irrelevant since the calls were still inspired by Trump and Vance.

I wonder who would give the apology. Is there a pope of liberal media? Rachel Maddow, maybe?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2024 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

Nobody is using the 25th Amendment to remove Trump, short of a persistent and publicly acknowledged vegetative state.

If the president refuses to go quietly, and a cognitively alert Donald Trump would refuse to go quietly, removal takes a 2/3 vote of both houses of Congress, currently 357 votes. Just using numbers from the current Congress, every Democrat and 25% of Republicans would have to agree to both defenestrate Trump and elevate Vance. And I don't think those circumstances would make removal a gimme for Democrats.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2024 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

David: Vance announced he wants an apology from the media

“Hey, J.D.— Telephone!”

“Who is it?”

“The Media. It wants to apologize.”

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 17