Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Biden’s health Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2024 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Jason>> I see no reason why Trump might not run again in 2028<<

Well, the Adderol and his healthy diet might finally catch up with him.

A friend of mine wonders what happens if *both* of them die prior to the election.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2024 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB wrote:
I’m sure the Republicans already have plans afoot to repeal that pesky amendment that won’t let Trumf run for a third term.

Bump it up to the Supreme Court, who care naught for precedents set by, you know, themselves, and will give Trumpf as many terms as he wants under an originalist interpretation of the Constitution.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2024 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Republicans wouldn't have enough votes to repeal that amendment. Because every Democrat, most independents, and (hopefully) most non-MAGA GOP would vote against it.

SCOTUS does it, they might as well all resign.

Then again, if we're lucky Trump will be in no condition to run in 2028 well before 2028.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 29 June 2024 at 11:51pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2024 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

An amendment can only be repealed by passing a new amendment, which is extremely difficult.  First you need a 2/3 majority of both houses of Congress to send a proposed amendment to the states for ratification.  Then 3/4 of state legislatures must ratify the amendment for it to pass.

In the alternative, a national convention can be called by Congress at the request of 2/3 of state legislatures, and then it would still need to be ratified by 3/4 of the states.

There is nothing the Supreme Court can do to change the process.  They could opine about the meaning of an amendment, but the wording of the 22nd is very clear and does not refer to consecutive terms.  No serious jurist could suggest otherwise.

IMO there is no danger of a third Trump term.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2024 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If Trump is elected again, I'm not sure we'll have to worry about the possibility of him running for a third, for two reasons:

1. He's younger than Biden, but looks like he's in much worse physical shape. He very well may not be in any condition to attempt a third term, let alone actually serve one.

2. If he gets to implement even half the crap he's talked about - especially the dictatorial things - he won't get to finish his term. I give it two years max before everyone non-MAGA (and even some who are) demand impeachment.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2024 at 2:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Oh no, not impeachment!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2024 at 3:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Trump was impeached twice in term one. If anything it emboldened him.
He’ll never resign and the koolaid drinking creeps from MAGA / cowering
jello-spined repubs who should know better won’t stand up. He’s a 34 time
convicted felon and yet the “liberal” NY Times called for Biden to resign,
not Herr Don.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2024 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Vinny and Rick, I mean that he has talking about implementing a few things that are likely beyond his power in some respects, downright dictatorial, and in at least one instance stupid. (Tariffs will just lead to rising prices.) 

And these things, if he gets to do, could very well have Congress actually removing him from office, because this time it could be a situation where their constituents tell them `get rid of him, or we'll get rid of you.'

He's actually talking about using the DOJ to get revenge on his enemies and prosecute people, including Biden. Which means wasting taxpayers' money when there's not really anyhing he can actually successfully prosecute them for. The GOP and Trump are fools if they there will not be eventual retaliation if they try that. And we all know he's going to pardon his flunkies and like Bannon and the Jan 6th rioters, who are actually borderline traitors.

Its too bad voting is done anonymously, because anyone who votes for Trump a third time should never be allowed to vote again.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 30 June 2024 at 1:44pm

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2024 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I love the way so many act surprised at Biden’s health when anyone could tell he was not well.

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2024 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Who's acting surprised? I'm only surprised at how bad he looked compared to the state of the union address. It was obvious when he ran 4 years ago he wasn't the same guy who had been the VP and now he's not even close to the guy from 4 years ago.

Regardless, I'm voting for the guy who isn't a convicted felon.

We've come a long way from the days of Gary Hart.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2024 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Anybody read Seth Abramson?

LINK

He points out that according to a recent poll, the people
who want Biden to step aside are mainly Trump voters who
claim to be Democrats. Most Democrats who plan on voting
for Biden do not want him to drop out of the race.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2024 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I agree with Abramson that the debate isn't going to cause many decided voters to switch sides.  I think coming out of the debate, the danger for Biden lies in two areas that are related: 

(1) All of the media reporting about Biden being seen as unfit, especially on CNN and MSNBC, could influence undecided voters.  It may not turn them into Trump supporters, but (2) people who don't see a good option on the ballot may decide to stay home.

Voter turnout in 2020 was record breaking.  Both candidates made history.  In losing, Trump won more votes than any sitting president ever has, but Biden won the largest popular vote ever.  Biden needs a big turnout again.  If he doesn't get it, that may flip the election to Trump.

Trump came across the way he always does, so I don't think he hurt or helped himself.  To the extent the debate has any impact on the outcome of the election, I think it will have to do with the way Biden performed, and how his performance has been characterized by the media.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |