Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11
Topic: Biden’s health Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2024 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's definitely an interesting moment.

There's one side that's saying this is the most important election in American history and another that says it isn't important enough to hurt Biden's feelings over.

Gotta pick one, and soon. 

With the benefit of hindsight, the problem isn't really what's happening now, but the decisions made in 2020. Choosing Biden was a huge mistake then, but the real consequences are being felt now.

Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2024 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JW: I disagree. The Court said "when the President acts pursuant to
constitutional and statutory authority he takes official actions to perform
the functions of his office."

They went into 3 categories of action— official, semi-official, and private.
They gave a sense of how to argue what parts of the current indictments
might go here or there, but not definitively or clearly. They made certain
NOT to clarify what would let the trial continue quickly.

Your apparent “clarity” is purely hypothetical.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2024 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Your apparent 'clarity' is purely hypothetical."

I think it depends on the situation.  Certainly, there could be times when it is difficult to discern whether an act is legally official or unofficial, or whether it involves a core duty of the president, or something on the "outer perimeter" but there are also situations where it is pretty clear.

With regard to the election interference indictment, it appears to be the latter.  I'm not saying Smith will win the case.  That's a different discussion.  But I think it will go forward for a determination on the merits.

I would also argue that the more outrageous the conduct by the President, the easier an analysis becomes.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2024 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Rodrigo Castellanos wrote:
There's one side that's saying this is the most important election in American history and another that says it isn't important enough to hurt Biden's feelings over.

It's not about "not hurting feelings."  First, you don't want to let one bad night outweigh a 3.5 year (and still ongoing) presidency.  Since the debate he's done an "after debate" party, campaign events, a primetime speech, a radio interview or two, etc. and there are no reports of him exhibiting similar behavior there.  

More importantly, there are the very real considerations tied to switching horses at this stage of game, which way too many of the "drop out" crowd seem to be handwaving away.  

There's hardly a unified front behind a "back up candidate," even among those calling for Biden to withdraw.  The last time the Democrats tried to swap out an incumbent the year of the election (Johnson in 1968) they ended up losing (that part seems to be left off most of the stories I've seen comparing the two situations for some reason).  

Even if party leaders could agree on someone quickly, anyone but Harris would have a severe uphill battle just getting their campaign set-up and any one with national name recognition HAS a job already and there's no telling how voters will feel about not having a chance to weigh in formally on who they'd want (i.e. via a primary).  

If the idea would be to nudge up Harris, what would be the point?  We're already in a situation where if, at any point, Biden can't perform his duties, she'll be the one to take over.  So for anyone who considers her an acceptable alternative, why go through the hassle?  If it WAS just a bad night and not The Beginning of Biden's end, Biden's good and if he's in worse shape a year or three from now, so be it.  

Plus who would be her running mate?  Has anyone been "pre-vetted" for this situation?  If so, would they be interested in the position?  (One pundit I saw suggested Biden resign as President to give us all a chance to see how well she'll lead, but didn't seem to consider how she'd get a Vice President confirmed.  Had to see the current House letting her have whoever she wanted.)

Some states have already locked down their ballots and Republican-led states have already demonstrated their lack of interest in getting the proper name on the ballot.  You could argue the replacement candidate may not win the state anyway, but why go in with a handicap?  The Heritage Foundation has also said they'll try to block any attempts to swap out candidates as well.

The Biden Campaign, DNC, et al., should definitely be having Serious Conversations right now, and presumably are, but I do think the initial calls for him to drop out were ill thought out.  If he flubs the George Stephanopoulos interview tomorrow and/or the Press Conference he has planned for next week, I'll likely feel differently.     

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2024 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Biden told the Democrat governors that he met with that he needs to get more sleep, and will no longer schedule events after 8 pm.  So now Russia, China, and Iran know if they want to start something, wait until 8:01 pm EST.

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2024 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's not like he looked great before that debate. My speculation is that with a teleprompter and or prepared speech he can manage to get by with only looking like a doddering old man. When he has to think on the fly in a debate scenario we got what we saw in the debate and it was enough to make me a bit nauseous. It was everything the right has been saying about him for years on display for all to see.

I didn't vote for him the first time, I voted against Trump and I will do the same this time even if it's Biden...but I don't feel good about it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 11
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |