Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Kamala Harris Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2024 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

To be fair, the Affordable Care Act is hardly universal.  It’s not inexpensive nor is it consumer friendly, yet compliance is mandatory.  So it’s what you have left if you’re out of a job, don’t even have a job where you or your significant other are supplied health care, can’t afford COBRA if you’re laid off, or are a minimum wage worker with no coverage at all.  My experience with it has been limited, a year, and was forced upon us with upheaval in the entertainment industry (I’m sure you’ve read the news) such that my wife and I were out of work for an extended period of time and she, most importantly, was the one who had the “regular gig” that offered health insurance as a regular condition of her work.  Thankfully, that changes in a month after she just accepted a job. That said, the healthcare landscape is a mine field.  It’s an awful, scary, terrible place to exist without the safety net of at least one earner who has a job that offers it upon employment.  

To be clear, Affordable Care is better than what came before it, but it’s hardly great and America can and should do better.  We’re the richest nation on the planet yet we treat healthcare as an afterthought.  Shameful.  
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2024 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Harris proposed gun confiscation and eliminating private healthcare when she ran in the primaries.

Going to clarify these:

In terms of the "gun confiscation" that's twisting the truth quite a lot.  That's an NRA driven lie.  And, YES, it is a lie. She favors banning assault weapons, as any reasonable person would do, as well as fully enforcing the laws currently on the books. She's not out to get yer guns....

And as for "eliminating private healthcare", mostly true.  In 2019 she did talk about a single-payer health care system. The right tends to denigrate it by calling it "Medicare for all".  However, it doesn't mean that private  insurance companies would be going away, it just allows people the option to obtain health insurance through the public Medicare plan or through a Medicare plan offered by a private insurer.  The reason Biden was (still is) against it is that he thought it would raise taxes on the middle class. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2024 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

TFW your reasons for voting for the racist rapist are all lies…

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2024 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Trying to suss out what "TFW" means...

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2024 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

All I could come up with is "That Feeling When" and that doesn't sound right in this situation...

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2024 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

TFW TFW doesn't sound right...

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2024 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I meant “That feeling when…”

A series of arguments have been presented for voting against Harris and for
the racist rapist.

Those arguments have been exposed as lies.

At that point, some folks would experience a feeling in response to seeing
their reasons destroyed before their very eyes. They would have “TFW all
your reasons are lies”.

I agree that will probably not happen since Trump voters rarely see the lies
as lies, but now is when “that feeling” should happen.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2024 at 2:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Ah, and a link to a Wall Street Journal Op Ed."

Ignore the op-ed.  That's not why I posted it.  Watch the video.  Harris in her own words talking about price controls.  

"However, it doesn't mean that private insurance companies would be going away, it just allows people the option to obtain health insurance through the public Medicare plan or through a Medicare plan offered by a private insurer."

This was the position taken by several Dems.  The counter argument was that private insurance carriers would be unable to compete against a tax subsidized government plan.  Hence, their elimination would be the natural result of a single payer system; not necessarily the intended consequence.  

I think Harris's goal is laudable, but the ideas that having the government make healthcare decisions instead of private insurance carriers will actually reduce bureaucracy, or that big government can provide the same services at a lower cost are laughable.  The Congressional Budget Office estimated that both Sanders's and Harris's plans would cost roughly 11X the amount of the Affordable Care Act.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2024/07/25/if-you -like-your-health-care-plan-will-kamala-harris-let-you-keep- it/

So even if the direct out of pocket cost of healthcare premiums would be less under her plan, we would be paying the difference elsewhere.  

"A series of arguments have been presented for voting against Harris and for the racist rapist."

Not by me.  Frankly, I find both to be completely unpalatable for different reasons, so I haven't decided what I'll do yet.  But criticizing the bad ideas of one does not equal support for the other.

Edited by John Wickett on 26 August 2024 at 2:41am

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2024 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Why are so many of you beholden to glorified middlemen ( insurance companies ) that charge a huge premium?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2024 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

so I haven't decided what I'll do yet

OK, I need to ask:  WHY? You've got a rapist/felon vs a prosecutor.  Why is it such a hard decision?  It's like trying to decide between Al Capone and Eliot Ness.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2024 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JW: But criticizing the bad ideas of one does not equal support for the
other.

In discussing the choice between a felon/rapist Trump and career
prosecutor Harris, it does.

Getting into the details of what’s wrong with the alternative to the racist
rapist is to invite the idea of voting for the racist rapist.

And when the “details” turn out to be intentionally exaggerated in order to
villainize her, it makes it all the worse.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2024 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Assuming the debates actually happen, d’you suppose Trumf will try to stalk Harris around the stage like he did Clinton?

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |