Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Kamala Harris Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2024 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The two elections won by Obama were the only ones since 2000 that weren't ridiculously close. 2008 was over almost as soon as McCain picked Palin.
Apparently, Obama 'inspired' most of the racist idiots to actually register to vote for Chump in '16.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2024 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Obama won in 2008 with 365 electoral votes, 74 of which he won by a margin under 5%. Meaning, he could have lost all those states and still won with some 20 votes to spare. It was tighter against Romney in 2012. Obama won with 332 votes, 60 of which under a 5% margin, and had he lost those... he still would have won. Not bad, Barak!

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2024 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Obama winning sent the right insane - literally insane. & they haven’t recovered.

Evidently, but they were pretty quiet about it at the time.

While he was in office he seemed untouchable with one of the few contrarian voices being that of... Donald Trump, with his birther crap that was widely ridiculed.

Obama himself brutally roasted him in the White House Correspondents Dinner, and that supposedly made him so mad he became determined to run.

And we all laughed along.

A bit of hubris on everyone's part, that.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2024 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't recall the right being quiet at all. The Tea Party was gaining steam. Unless you're talking about that brief pause for some of them to come up with new coded language without using 'uppity', 'well-spoken' or the N-word outright. The tan suit outrage. Beer summits. Alex Jones and Glenn Beck were leading the chorus. There were daily outrages.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2024 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

While he was in office he seemed untouchable with one of the few contrarian voices being that of... Donald Trump, with his birther crap that was widely ridiculed.

———

They weren’t quiet at all. They just stuck to the “Obama is a foreign-born, secret Muslim” dogwhistles instead of the “saying the quiet parts out loud” of the Trump era. 

The birther crap was relatively mainstream, reaching highs of 20-25% of adults believing or suspecting that Obama was not born in the US, with much higher numbers among Republicans. 

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2024 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Tea Party actually started becoming a thing in December of 2008 as a protest against Obama … who hadn’t even taken office yet.  If anyone recalls now, their purported thing was taxes (hence the acronym “T.E.A. = Taxed Enough Already”). But it was so transparently a racist response, even then.  One that went from being subtext to text when Trump ascended and gave people permission to trade in their racist dog whistles for bullhorns.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 September 2024 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

But—but America has never been a racist country……..!!

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2024 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I get you guys, and obviously you live there so not my intention at all to lecture you on that.

But, while Trump and the Tea Party and all sorts of freaks were clearly mad about the whole Obama thing and made their opinion known, I still think that while Obama was in office the "resistance" was still pretty low and fringe.

Most didn't go mental in public when Obama took office, but they "cultivated" the rot instead so to speak, looking for a catalyzer and that catalyzer was Trump.

That's what I meant to say, but obviously just an opinion from a foreigner.

If they were perceived as a real threat, Obama wouldn't have done that roast. 

He (and all of us of similar mind) felt confident that these freaks weren't going to take power anytime soon.

Mistake, obviously.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 14 September 2024 at 7:08am

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2024 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The right has never been silent. The whole `silent majority' thing made me laugh when I first heard it. The `Silent Majority' is more like The `Won't Shut The Hell Up Minority'....

The problem is that they think they're the majority because they talk too much. Right-wingers are the very example of the saying `Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it'. 

I've been in several online discussions in Facebook and elsewhere where someone brings up politics in discussions that have nothing whatsoever to do with politics, where some rmoron will start complaining, and 99% of the time its sme right-wing moron insulting the left, occasionally using that stupid `libtard' term. Had someone do it in a basketball discussion about the Lakers, and recently one talking about Beyonce being shut out of the CMA Awards. The person who brought up politics in that one got eaten alive quick.

The conservatives - and especially MAGA - do not realize the rest of us think they're all morons. Because they are constantly proving it. I'm a moderate, but I'd side with the liberals if it came right down to it, because the conservatives are trying seize power to run AND ruin this country.

And yes, the Tea Party was definitely racist. Plus another example of right-wing ignorance. They were complaing about Obama and blaming him for taxes, but they were Bush II era taxes. 

Edited by Brian Floyd on 14 September 2024 at 2:07pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2024 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As I have mentioned before, when I was living in Canada, half my life ago, one of the major political parties was the Progressive Conservatives. While I did not consider myself affiliated with them, I did like the name.

So I think of myself as a (lower case) progressive conservative. Basically, let us go forward—carefully.

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2024 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I used to call myself a fiscal conservative and a social liberal.

When I really thought about it what I really meant was I didn't want to pay taxes so "welfare queens" could live it up etc.

Yes, I am a former republican who bought into stupid BS and I thought that way when I was in a position where progressive policies whould have helped me personally.

Now that I'm older and not in that position I believe more than ever this country needs to change and the sooner the better.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2024 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As I have mentioned before, when I was living in Canada, half my life ago, one of the major political parties was the Progressive Conservatives. While I did not consider myself affiliated with them, I did like the name. 

So I think of myself as a (lower case) progressive conservative. Basically, let us go forward—carefully.”

Whether it is Canadian or US politics, the right wing always campaigns with slogans about “going back”, or being “great again”.  They want their nation to step backward in time to a rose coloured glasses version of the past.  They selectively leave out the negatives associated with the same time.  And they have little vision for a new future to address new problems,

For example, for US Republicans, they look back on Reagan’s 8 years  as a vision to get back to.  Yes, there were good things about climbing out of recession, lower taxes, and becoming such a dominant military that Russia gave up and the Berlin Wall came down.  But let’s not think about the way that deficits and the debt soared, the futile war on drugs that was really aimed at incarcerating African Americans, and delays in fighting AIDs because it was a “gay disease”.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |