Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: Kamala Harris Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2024 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Valid point...but this time, people actually like the nominee.
Back to Top profile | search

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2024 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Walz.

I can see him as a safe pick.

LET GET IT ON!!!!!

🗳🗳🗳🗳 VOTE BLUE!🗳🗳🗳🗳

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2024 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I see that Felonious DonOLD tried to do his best to blame yesterday's stock market sell-off on Harris.

Today, as of this posting, it's back up 600+ points.

He just can't nail her for anything. 

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2024 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If Harris is going to have a chance to win, she needs to reign in all those "uncommitted" Democratic primary voters who are unhappy about Gaza (particularly those in Michigan).  As Dave noted, a Shapiro pick would have put the war front and center as an issue and potentially alienated those voters.  And as JB noted, if you have a non-WASP at the top of the ticket, you pretty much need a WASP (or at least a WASC) on the bottom. 

Would Shapiro have helped in Pennsylvania?  Possibly, but it's unclear how much influence a VP pick actually has on the outcome.  I'm trying to think of the last time either party selected a VP from a swing state and then actually won that state.  I guess it was 1992 with Al Gore.  But Clinton was a Southerner himself and likely would have carried Tennessee without Gore anyway.

With one exception, every Democratic VP pick since then has been from a solidly Democratic state.  The exception was John Edwards in 2004, but North Carolina was not a swing state at the time (it was solidly Republican) and Edwards wasn't able to move the needle enough to help win it.  

On the Republican side, I guess Wisconsin was sort of a swing state in 2012, and Romney chose Paul Ryan from there.  But that didn't work out for him.  

You really have to go all the way back to 1980 (when Mondale helped make Minnesota one of only six states carried by Carter) to find an example of a VP pick seeming to have a notable effect on the winner in their home state.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 06 August 2024 at 8:56pm

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2024 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Black/Jewish would have broken their brains.

Considering her husband is Jewish, one can always hope.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2024 at 3:35am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The coordinated Republican response is that passing over Shapiro was overtly anti-Semitic, but not in any way that implies Republicans are similarly anti-Semitic for having never nominated a Jewish vice president, or president for that matter.

Also, they want to relitigate COVID at what they think will be Walz's expense, apparently forgetting that while every politician more or less failed, the Trump administration pandemic response failed everybody.

Finally, Walz's emerging nickname is Tampon Tim, deriving from his advocacy of tampon dispensers in bathrooms of all genders, because nothing attracts independent voters like visceral disgust with menstruation.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2024 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

So happy it’s Tim Walz!! he has been such a great governor for our state. We really got to see him on a daily basis throughout Covid and everything that happened with George Floyd. He gave daily briefings on the news and was an open, honest and authentic communicator. Really strong leadership during a time when we were getting nothing from the president of the United States.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2024 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Trump lied about Covid from the very second he was informed. 

Just in case the short attention span voters have forgotten (how the fuck this can be is beyond me), his Clorox/Lysol  suggestion should be repeated ad-nauseam.

🗳🗳🗳VOTE BLUE🗳🗳🗳

Edited by James Johnson on 07 August 2024 at 3:48pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 August 2024 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Trumf responded to Covid the way he responds to everything, by warping reality. He didn’t want a pandemic on his watch, so there was no pandemic on his watch.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2024 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

...sounds like the Jedi mind trick......

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 August 2024 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Black/Jewish would have broken their brains.

Considering her husband is Jewish, one can always hope.

•••

There are parts of this country where having a Jewish husband will count against her.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2024 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB wrote:
There are parts of this country where having a Jewish husband will count against her.

Up until the point she lovingly slides out "One of our attorneys is... a Jew" with what she thinks is an emphasis intended to show... I dunno, largesse? - I'd never quite heard the word said with quite so much honey-coated disgust.

I've said it often: before Trump ran for President, my wife and I were American. After, we suddenly found ourselves to be "a Jew" and "a Puerto Rican".
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |