Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Important Lesson! Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2024 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

But I'm not sure its ever been outright said regarding Diana.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 September 2024 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Didn’t say it had been.
Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2024 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Haven't been following anything new with Hercules, but given that he's thousands of years old, if they just present his involvement with another man matter-of-factly*, I guess I wouldn't see an issue with it.

* I really liked the way the writers on WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS handled the sexuality of the main characters - they were "revealed" to pretty much all be pansexual, and it wasn't a revelation at all. It just got fleshed out in context. They are also very long-lived, so it's not hard to imagine them not being too attached to one gender over another.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 September 2024 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

When Denzel Washington won the Oscar for Best Actor, the Press asked him about the accomplishment of being a Black actor doing so. He said it would not really be an accomplishment until the race of the winner didn’t matter.

I wonder if the same might be said about LGBTQ characters. True equality comes from the banishment of all labels.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2024 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"When Denzel Washington won the Oscar for Best Actor, the Press asked him about the accomplishment of being a Black actor doing so. He said it would not really be an accomplishment until the race of the winner didn’t matter."

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------

That's actually very similar to how I felt when Barack Obama was elected President of the U.S. People saying how wonderful it was and celebrating the uniqueness of it, and all I could think was, no..this should be the norm.

Edited by Jason Scott on 08 September 2024 at 9:57pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2024 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Come a time when the only thing that matters is QUALIFICATIONS and we’ll have true equality.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2024 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Before the nitpicking starts, I will mention that I am well aware that many societal changes will need to occur before that kind of equality becomes common. Mostly in education.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2024 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm reminded of a scene from ALL IN THE FAMILY that had a profound effect on me as a kid. The Bunkers and Lionel Jefferson were playing a board game where each person had to pick another player where they get to air their grievances with. It was Lionel's turn, and Mike automatically assumed that Lionel was going to choose Archie, but no, he actually chose Mike, who was taken aback:

Lionel: Mike, you're one of my best friends, but I wish you wouldn't just talk to me about the latest civil rights issue, like I'm your representative of the Black community.

Mike: Well, what else am I supposed to talk about with you, the weather?

Lionel: Why not? Black people have weather, too!

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2024 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's always a good thing to break down barriers. People will not make a big deal about the 5th black President. But it made history to have the first. Kinda like how Biden isn't thought of as a catholic President.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2024 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Long ago the Forum’s own Paul Gibney suggested that a solution to Marvel’s mutant glut might be revealing that there was a virus that imitated natural mutation, and many, if not most “mutants” were actually normal people infected with this virus. The number of real mutants could be reduced to a manageable number without resorting to “massacres”.

I mentioned this idea to a couple of senior editors at Marvel, around the time I was working on XHY. Within a very short time it was all over the internet that I wanted to turn ALL mutants into people infected with this virus.

Since one of the editors was a proud Luddite who refused to have anything to do with computers or the internet, it wasn’t hard to guess where the leak had come from.

Fast forward to the present day and an upcoming X-Men story will be about an infection that is turning humans into mutants.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/bringing-back-old-names-to-t he-x-men-this-week-xspoilers/

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |