Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB/the group - your favorite company crossover? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Message
Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 09 November 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 793
Posted: 08 October 2026 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Really wish the first JLA/Avengers crossover was done. Those pages were gorgeous . The published one was a hot mess and what's with everyone having a button nose. 
Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8726
Posted: 08 October 2026 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Kind of a sliding doors moment - does the She-Hulk GN and ongoing series happen without you putting her into the FF? Would you have had interest in the character otherwise?"

---

Interesting timeline. I wonder if that would have lead to JB taking on DOCTOR STRANGE instead. I believe he said that he was offered the book, but he already had AWC and SHE-HULK on his plate.
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137241
Posted: 08 October 2026 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, Ralf offered DOCTOR STRANGE. That would have put me handling four monthlies. I suggested maybe making STRANGE and SHE-HULK bimonthly, but Marvel didn’t go for it.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 23 September 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Posted: 08 October 2026 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We never really got a lot of JB's Doctor Strange, right? Handful of FF appearances, I think I remember him showing up in Lost Generation, the panel in Uncanny - what am I missing?
Back to Top profile | search
 
Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 28 July 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 32308
Posted: 08 October 2026 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Did Shaman consult him once in AF?
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137241
Posted: 08 October 2026 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

For many years I didn’t think I had the right touch for Strange. By the time I did my Iron Fist story in NAMOR I was feeling more comfortable.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 23 September 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Posted: 08 October 2026 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

NAMOR. How the heck did I forget the Namor appearance, that's how he got his wings back.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8726
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's interesting to think what could have been with a JB DOCTOR STRANGE run. Outside of a few gems, Strange never seemed to have persistent staying power. Same goes for Namor*.

*Want to know how significant JB's run was? Everyone is still calling him "Namor" instead of "The Sub-Mariner!"


Edited by Vinny Valenti on 09 October 2026 at 1:21pm
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137241
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Credit where credit is due, it was editor Terry Kavanagh who chose the title.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 28 July 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 32308
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

“Namor, Marvel’s First Mutant”
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137241
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

First and Mightiest!!!
Back to Top profile | search
 
Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 16 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 2423
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I wouldn't have a clue as to how to go about writing Dr. Strange.  I think there would be too much temptation for magic to be a deus ex machina to get out of any conflict. 


Back to Top profile | search e-mail
 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |

Forum Jump

 Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login

You are currently viewing the MOBILE version of the site.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL SITE