Posted: 04 June 2005 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm 34 like you...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Chris Malgrain wrote:
I'm 34 like you...

And we have an appreciation for John Byrne's work and drawing in common! Sheesh we're practically twins!!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Malgrain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hum,were you by any chance born in November? o))

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Chris Malgrain wrote:
Hum,were you by any chance born in November? o))

Yes! Yes I was!...Oh wait..No I wasn't...Dammit!

I'm a Pisces, February!

Rich Henderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Darren Taylor wrote:

Here's another sketch...

Darren you do some damn good work my man. Although I know you're not doing comic art professionally I hope you are working in professional graphics in one way or another. My only suggestion with the character above is to loose or alter the "V" in the groin area. I worked on a similar design back in the early 90's and found, as I do with your design, that it pulled the eye away from the piece and was a bit distracting. Just mt 2 cents. Keep up the great work.

Vladimir Fiks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Here is Darren's (unnamed) character with a Vlad ink treatment. He just
hates when I cover up his "purty pencils" LOL

Vlad
Back to Top profile | search

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Vladimir Fiks wrote:
Here is Darren's (unnamed) character with a Vlad ink treatment. He just
hates when I cover up his "purty pencils" LOL

Vlad

As I said in my private email. Brilliant work once again dude and the blacks -really- pull the piece together.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Rich Henderson wrote:
Darren you do some damn good work my man. Although I know you're not doing comic art professionally I hope you are working in professional graphics in one way or another. My only suggestion with the character above is to loose or alter the "V" in the groin area. I worked on a similar design back in the early 90's and found, as I do with your design, that it pulled the eye away from the piece and was a bit distracting. Just mt 2 cents. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Rich. I have to admit to being somewhat troubled with that section of the design also...given I'm now doing panelled work with this character I really need to sort something out!!

Thanks for your input and I'm really pleased so many people have got some enjoyment out of my art.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Darren and Vladimir, thanks as always for the comments.

Darren, re your comments on breaking into the industry...one of the things I discovered was that sometimes, the comments you receive on your work are constructive criticism meant to help you improve.  Sometimes the comments are b.s., because the commentator either a) doesn't know what to say or cannot articulate his thoughts intelligently, b) isn't in a position to offer you work in the first place, or c) just doesn't like your work for personal reasons. 

Personally, I don't see an over-reliance on JB in your work...that's just my opinion. 

I got the same kinds of responses.  At a certain point, your skills are solid enough to get work.  You're not the greatest thing since sliced bread (very few come into the industry fully-formed), but you're good enough.  So then you have to deal with the OTHER side of the equation; what's generally referred to as the "hidden job market."  Meaning, at that point its all about timing, relationships, being in the right place at the right time when the opportunity presents itself.  That could take years for some.  No way to predict or control it.

John Buscema told me how he knew guys whose lives were wasted waiting for that call from the industry.  He counseled me to not allow that to happen, to continue working in whatever area of illustration I could find work without putting everything in the one basket of comics.  He'd been through it all, seen it all, and just didn't think it was worth it.

Mind you, I'm not pooh-pooing the pursuit of working in comics.  I loved doing it.  Coolest gig in the world.  However, I also love storyboarding, and nothing gave me a greater sense of satisfaction, accomplishment or pride than creating my own comic book.  Illustration has many applications.

Back to the board...

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

In absolute agreement with you Glenn.

Instead of taking a job in the art field, I took a job in Sales. I have -never- really used my artistic skills for anything other than my own pleasure. I get commissions here and there, although I've decided to put a stop to those now!

I guess all I'm concerned with is perfecting my artistic skills. John Byrne started me off down this path, oh-so many years ago by influencing me the love of drawing Superheroes has not yet faded and I love drawing. I guess I'll be an old man and still searching for that elusive 'perfect' drawing;-)

But at least I'm happy trying-LOL.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Glenn Brown wrote:
Personally, I don't see an over-reliance on JB in your work...that's just my opinion. 

Thanks Glenn...around 1990 I started trying to remove the JB swipes from my repitoire. I used Alan Davis' artwork to give me somewhere to head too. All I succeeded in doing was cloning myself to another artist!!

I stopped drawing but continued doing little doodles everyday and about eight months to a year later I returned drawing properly and a strange thing had happend. My mind had begun to co-ordinate what I was seeing in my head with the dexterity and fine motor skills all my years of swiping and studying had provided my hand. Then over the last decade my ability to "see" the form and rendering has only come more and more into focus.

I'm comfortable now that the artwork I do, is me. I can "tune" in to other styles but the image is still me.

So I'm pleased that you struggle to see much of John in me now. His inspiration is still there though.

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2005 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Justin Wasson wrote:
Picture I did for a friend of mine.

Justin Wasson

Very cool!

<< Prev Page of 2588 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |