Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: why was create comics’ first gay guy such an &$!@#? Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

I always liked Northstar.  Sure he was a jerk, but being a jerk can also imply self-confidence and being brutally honest.  I liked all the Alphans, but Northstar was my favortite.

Of course, I started collecting Alpha at #23, finished the Byrne run, and quickly departed after the first few Mantlo issues.  But I later got the entire Byrne run.  I picked up on the gay theme, but scratched my head because clearly it could not have been so!  On this occassion, I think Shooter was dead on and Mr Byrne's being subtle about it was the best approach.  Times were different then, and comics had a large children audience - I think it would have been inappropriate to address those issues at that time.

I never picked up that his problems with Walter Langkowski had to do with jealously of his sister though.

Back to Top profile | search

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

Merci, Mig... Now, get real ! There are arrogant a..holes everywhere in the world !

No names !

Back to Top profile | search | www

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

Dave - "The full majesty of Odin"?

I laughed so hard I nearly choked! What a classic! Many thanks!

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

The Shrinking Violet/Lightning Lass (she had gotten back her lightning powers) relationship was Paul Levitz's doing.  It was subtle, but I picked up on it.  I have this theory most of the people from the planet of the twins are besexual, since it would check their reproductive propensity and stop the threat of overpopulation.  But this is me thinking too hard on the subject...

I never picked up on the Northstar thing.  I'm quite sure Shan and Danille being gay is a retcon.  Though I'd say Jean-Claude is more a "reveal".

Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

To this day, I STILL see no implication in JB's run that Northstar was attracted to Walt.

Wasn't there an element in AF#24 where they needed the help of "One who loves him, One who hates him", and a third person that I forget what the criteria was, in order to save Langkowski's soul? The assumption was that Aurora loved him, and  Northstar hated him - but if he actually didn't hate him, wouldn't the attempt to save Walt have failed?

Me am confused....

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 6  

Vinny, I think that it was so subtle that a lot of people didn't catch onto it, I know I didn't at the time.  Whenever you're producing a work under a restrictive code, be it the Comics Code or the Hays Code, you need to be very careful (and clever) to have those underlying meanings come through without it being noticed by the censors.  The true test is when a work can stand alone as being great without the viewer/reader needing to be aware of the subtext, and  Alpha Flight does. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

Oh sure, I'm not complaining - just that while I was able to go back and piece together Northstar's sexual orientation after the fact (I learned it from an issue of Comics Interview he did in '89), I still see no clues about the Walt thing when I re-read them.

(AF#7-8 were chock full of clues that Northstar was gay, provided you knew what you were looking for at least!)

Jay Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ed Aycock wrote:
Vinny, I think that it was so subtle that a lot of people didn't catch onto it,

The sound of me encountering the "Northstar is gay" implication:  Whiff!!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

Y'know....I don't have my copy of AF#24 handy, but now that I think about it, didn't the threesome actually _fail_ at getting Walt's soul after all? It was seeing them dead that made "Walt" reveal himself and use some of his essence to revive the fallen Alphans (I think Talisman was the third). If that's the case then I guess JB didnt contracdict himself!

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

Also, when they were getting ready to go down into the Well, and trying to figure out who "hated Walter," Aurora was quick to pick Northstar, but he got a little tongue-tied in his reply.  Then he went along with it. 

(Bill Mantlo had Northstar cry when he believed that Walt was dead in #29; don't know if you'd want to count that as "evidence," though.)

Frank Lauro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

Xi'an Coy Manh and Danielle Moonstar are currently romantically involved?

Wow.  I've been away from my old NEW MUTANTS friends for a loooooong time.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 12  

Come to think of it, I always did wonder at why Northstar was in the Well of Souls. 

As an aside, damn what a gorgeous issue AF 24 was.  I wondered at the time how JB drew the Realm of the Beasts and didn't lose his hand fromc ramps afterward.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |