Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Can someone tell me the age difference of these characters? Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2006 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 1  

So here's the deal, I like the Fantastic Four, especially when JB was doing it (it was there I first saw his work) so something I've been wondering, what's the age difference in years between Reed and Susan?  A friend of mine was like "So, she's attracted to Reed Richards for his intellegnce inspite of his age?  How far apart are they in age anyways?"  I didn't know how to respond since I wouldn't even know or if JB ever mentioned it during his run since I never got to read all of JB's run. 

I do remember one splash page JB did in FF can't remember issue number, the one where Susan, Johnny, and Jennifer were back in New York "in the year 1939."  It showed a very young Sue having a crush on an older Reed.   Just wondering fellas, since in real life if two people care about one another, age shouldn't matter.  (over 18 damn it, before someone says it.) 

Back to Top profile | search

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2006 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

I always thought Reed, Ben and Victor Von Doom (because they were all in college together) were about ten years older than Susan. I presumed Reed's grey temples were a hint that he was well into his 30's, but he just might just have been very prematurely grey.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2006 at 11:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

I remember an issue where they celebrate Reed's birthday during Mister B.'s run, and if memory is correct he just turned 40 ...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Sawin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2006 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

IIRC, JB once put 40 candles on Reed's birthday cake.  He also once pointed out that Cerlize Theron was "too old" to play Sue in a movie.  Theron just turned 31.

So that's what I got.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 5  

There's a scene JB did where Sue first meets Reed when he was a border at her house. IIRC Reed was starting graduate school, and Sue was anywhere from 9-11, old enough to have a crush on him, so I always pictured him being 15 years older, 20 tops.

Also in the Diablo issue (232), the hairdresser makes the comment that her new cut will make her look "20 years younger" and her reply is "wonderful milo, i'm sure my husband will love being married to a child.

Honestly overall, I'd put Sue at 25, Reed around 40-45.

Edited by Daniel Kendrick on 16 August 2006 at 12:01am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 6  

I always pictured Reed between 45 and 50, not less than 45. I pictured Sue as around 25, possibly even younger.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 7  

Susan is at least 10 years younger than Reed, I think. If I racall correctly, they first met when she was a child and he a young student.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 2:19am | IP Logged | 8  

My two cents...

Johnny Storm was a teenager when the comic book first began, a slightly older contemporary of Spider-Man. I would suppose that puts him around 17 years old. Sue Storm then would probably be between four and eight years older, which puts her about 23 years old. As for Ben Grimm and Reed Richards, they would be basically the same age, which is probably between fourteen and eighteen years older than Sue, so that would be about 39 years old.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 9  

Not long after I started reading the FF, someone posed this question in the letter column. Stan replied that Reed and Ben were in their late 30s, Sue was in her 20s, and Johnny had just turned 16. So Sue is about 10 years younger than Reed (possibly more), which is how I played them.

+++

Johnny Storm was a teenager when the comic book first began, a slightly older contemporary of Spider-Man.

That math may be a bit off. Allow me to expand. We first met Johnny Storm when the FF revealed themselves publicly in issue 1. There is a clear indication that a fair piece of time has elapsed since they gained their powers, probably about a year of training before Reed deemed them "ready for action". This would make Johnny 14/15 when they took that rocket ride.

Parker, on the other hand, is probably quite a bit younger than his classmates. It seems unlikely that he would not have moved up thru grade school and junior high faster than, say, Flash Thompson. His youth is probably one of the reasons he is deemed a "wallflower". So he is probably also about 14/15 when he gets the powers. Then follows an indeterminate amount of time in which Spider-Man becomes a national celebrity, also conveniently getting in lots of training in the use of his powers. (It amazes me how many people seem to miss this bit. There are always folk asking "where did he get the training" that made him "ready" to take on Doc Ock and the rest. We see that, in the first story, as Spider-Man is shown being most proficient with his powers by the time he is on what seems to be the Ed Sullivan Show. And Sullivan, of course, was not known for giving air time to merely "local talent". Spider-Man would have been around for a while before he showed up on national TV.)

Mix all these factors together, and I think we end up with Johnny and Peter being about the same age.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 10  

So, JB, what would you say is roughly the age gap between Reed and Sue?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 11  

I thought Johnny Storm was a bit older than Peter Parker because the former seemed so into driving his hot rods and I thought the latter was maybe about learner's permit age, i.e., like a 17 versus 16 year old difference. But as I said they are definitely contemporaries -- maybe six or nine months apart?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 12  

JB, what would you say is roughly the age gap between Reed and Sue?

Answered that in my previous post, JM

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |