Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The Debate on Cyclops (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 January 2007 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

Cyclops was the best character in the X-Men until the writers messed him up. See Martin's post for a few examples of what's wrong with the character now. Personally he still one of my favorites.
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2007 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 2  

The times I'll always remember, and why I'll always love the character, happened when this stripling kid managed to lead Wolverine and Banshee.  Those aren't exactly guys who are easy to lead.

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 3  

what writers do you think ruined him?

Whichever writers decided he had more long lost relatives than Blake Carrington.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 3:46am | IP Logged | 4  

Cyclops is probably the most hated X-Man in Italy.
Not by me, sure. He's one of my favorites. I liked the serious, shy and alone boy who had to lead the X-Men. The first reason for his bad fame here is what he did when the X-FACTOR series. A hero who drops wife and son so he can return with his first love wasn't well accepted. I didn't like that, either. But Cyclops still is one of the best characters in the mutant corner of the Marvel Universe. Dark Phoenix saga... Does a ring bell?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 5  

Back in the day, when the creators knew who he was, Cyclops wasn't just my favorite X-Man, he was up among my favorite Marvel characters. Since the days of Byrne and Claremont on X-Men, however, I don't think writers have really understood what made Scott Summers work. Bringing in Madelyne Pryor and then mangling that relationship when Jean returned was horrible; it betrayed the essence of Cyclops as "the guy who embodies responsibility."

His characterization has been hit or miss in the last several years. The original Cyclops is terrific-- but I don't know the guy with the visor these days. The last time we saw CYCLOPS was in JB's Hidden Years.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

"And if you ask me, Cykes spatial awareness is one of the coolest abilities out there.. love his "pool shot" optic blasts."

If I correctly recall, the scene where this skill is first shown was supposed to be written as a first time/rare thing, but ended up turning into a "haven't done this in a while" moment.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

A hero who drops wife and son so he can return with his first love wasn't well accepted. I didn't like that, either.

To be fair his true love had just returned from the dead. So I think anybody could get a pass for acting out of character.

Edited by Victor .R. Rodgers on 28 January 2007 at 11:01pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Unlike many people, it seems, I am one of the few that actually like the leader characters the best in team comics. I like Reed Richards (the REAL Reed, not whoever that jerk is in the current Marvel Universe), Captain America, and Cyclops the best out of the members from their respective teams.

I do think that much of the bad writing of these kind of characters come from people who think such characters are uncool, and boring because the characters have (had?) solid ethics and values, and were, well, leaders. As such, they are deemed "authority figures," and some people pride themselves on being anti-authority. Many of the writers probably think they are taking a pop at authority by writing the characters so out of, well, character.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Norman Hardy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

In my mind, Cyclops has always been the mutant with the coolest power.  The fact that it was uncontrollable without his visor was even more awesome to me.

I'm a little disturbed that Whedon took his power away in Astonishing, but I know it will return eventually, so I'm not too stressed.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 10  

OK...I've been thinking about exactly when Cyclops's character started to be portrayed badly. I think the biggest shift started to happen when the powers that be decided to launch the X-Factor title. Obviously, they had to have Cyclops leave the main X-Men book to get to X-Factor, and it seems the only way they could do this was to have him act completely out of character.

X-Men 200-201: Magneto has just had his trial and has ended up at the mansion with the X-Men and New Mutants, supposedly changing his ways. Professor Xavier has vanished, is possibly dead, but no one can be certain since there is no body (because he's been teleported away by the Starjammers)

Cyclops now proceeds to let himself get talked into a duel with Storm over who gets to lead the X-Men. Storm, who has no powers at the time, beats Cyclops, who should be able to anticipate her every move and easily win. Wolverine blames this on his heart no longer being in it. After losing the fight, Scott just packs up and leaves. This is WAY out of character.

Cyclops was basically raised and mentored by Charles Xavier to become leader of the X-Men. He has dedicated his whole life to Xavier's mission. Under these particular circumstances, there is no way he would have just walked away, whether or not he and Madelyne had just had a baby. Prof. X was missing, Magneto, who had been trying to kill Scott since he was 17, was living in the mansion, etc. etc.   

The Cyclops I knew would have rallied his team around him, been the leader he always was in the past, kicked Magneto out of that mansion and as far away from the students as possible, or at the very least kept him under very, very close scrutiny, and then pulled out all the stops to do everything possible to find Professor Xavier, including appealing to Reed Richards, Doctor Strange and everyone else neccesary to find Xavier.

Looking back, it appears that for the sake of starting the spin-off title X-Factor, the writers at the time could find no better way to include Cyclops in that book than completely stripping away the characteristics that made him one of the 3 best leaders in Marvel comics history.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Sawin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 11  

Aaron Smith has a point:  this is a good place to show where Scott Summers went off the track.

But I would go back just a bit further -- to where he married Ms. Pryor.  It really bugged me that he fell for a virtual twin of Jean Grey, because I think that it cheapened his relationship with her. 

But it seems to me that Claremont was making female characters dominant and strong at the expense of the male characters.  Weakening Scott Summers and having a de-powered Storm (I have a Modesty Blaise-style origin!) defeat him in hand to hand combat was a real low point.

I love strong female characters, but they need to be strong in their own right.   The wussification of the male X-men members (except for Wolverine, whose healing factor kept him immune and turned him into a parody of extreme macho)
was perhaps a way to break the link from the old (male dominated) team to the new.

Scott Summers was "Mr. X-man".  He personified the team, and as long as he was around, the women could not ascend.  And the only way to remove him without killing him was to have Summers act out of established character. 

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 12  

I wasn't crazy about the Madelyne Pryor business either, but I think Cyclops could have balanced that aspect of his life with leadership of the X-Men. Having his marriage and child and all that over whelm and distract him to the point where he couldn't or wouldn't function as a leader was just bad storytelling.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version