Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The Debate on Cyclops (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ive always felt that Cyclops' personality, discipline, and leadership ability, when he is properly characterized, was more important than his powers, much in the same way that Reed Richards' stretching ability is secondary to his great intelligence.

Edited by Aaron Smith on 28 January 2007 at 6:24pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

Cyclops was one of my favorite characters of all of them back when I was a kid. Other favorites from that time included the Thing, Deadman, and the Doom Patrol. I could believe in "powers" that were as much a curse to the person possessing them as they were a blessing to the people saved by the hero. Much has been said in defense of Scott's character here that I agree with, and its really nice to read that he is well-regarded in spite of his long history of being poorly written.

Claremont demonstrated in #175 that he could write the character's strengths well, but also that he had very little interest in doing so afterwards.  #201 is the issue I stopped reading about the X-Men.  The "duel" between Scott and Ororo is so obviously biased and Scott comes off as a thick-headed, desperate loser, unable to commit to his marraige, his team, or even the fight he's in at the moment.  He fully integrates his character into Claremont's blanket assessment of men as self-doubting, unassertive thumbsuckers, forever in awe of Women As Individuals and all that they can accomplish... (Claremont's thumbsucking Reed Richards from the FF/X-Men mini-series makes for an excellent model for the current Civil War version, btw.)

I picked up the Cyclops action figure recently and read the #201 reprint enclosed (possibly the worst choice they could have made). I was surprised to find Claremont's verbal rhythyms and ham-handed cliches flow rather well once you get away from them for few years.  The scene with Kitty, Rachel, and the baby was really quite sweet. But the team was obviously headed in directions Cyclops wouldn't comfortably go, X-Factor was calling, and Claremont, with his ever-growing propensities for leather fetishes, psychic rapes, and no-apologies warrior codes, never quite got a handle on Stan Lee's brooding, afflicted teenager who found a place for himself in the world, yet remained at arm's length from it. Everything Scott brought to the team had been parcelled out to other members.  (Inability to connect due to powers: Rogue, Mutant curse: Kurt, Decisive leadership: Storm, Military strategy: Wolverine, Ability to hit things at a distance: Everyone...) Much as was the case with JB's Guardian, the leader of the team became its most expendable member, and by that point I was glad to see him go.  I was happy to leave with him, in fact.

(After posting, I noticed that this one came up as post 138, the issue number of the X-Men with the famous "Exit Cyclops" cover...)

Edited by Brian Hague on 28 January 2007 at 6:37pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

Brian...very good post.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks, Aaron.  I was a little surprised by how the emotions I felt about all this way back when came flooding back...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

One thing that still bugs me about that whole period in X-Men history is that Claremont didn't even portray Storm as a good leader after she ousted Scott. She made enough stupid mistakes to manage to screw the team over for years.

David Parker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 6  

I've always loved Cyclops from the very beginning all the way up to the point where he started sleeping with the White Queen.  Is that still going on?  It's just so wrong for the character. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 7  

JB, you have always seemed to have exceptional ability when it comes to writing team books (Avengers, WCA, Next Men, FF, Alpha Flight, X-Men)

Do you feel that you have a natural knack for writing such stories, or do you have to really remind yourself sometimes to give an adequate amount of attention to all the characters?

Definitely the latter.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 8  

"And, of course, then we get the movies, which are pure fanboy WOLVERINE IS SO COOL crap, and Cyke gets dealt the worst hand of all"

+++

Really? I didn't get that vibe. Granted, Wolverine got all the screen time, but he didn't get to play Cyclops for a chump.

Where do I say he did?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 9  

One thing that still bugs me about that whole period in X-Men history is that Claremont didn't even portray Storm as a good leader after she ousted Scott.

Did something happen after I left? Storm became leader -- my suggestion -- in my last few issues, after Scott took a leave of absence.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 10  

I dropped out of regular comic reading/collecting about 25 years ago, so going over this thread and learning a bit about what became of Cyclops -- one of my very favorite Marvel characters -- has been rather sad.

Tangent: someone had mentioned that Cyclops remained true to the character in JB's XHY. I only recently read a few issues, but the Cyclops I met there again was indeed in every way that one I'd grown up with, from Lee/Kirby through Claremont/Byrne. Nice!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 11  

One of the best parts about working on XHY was that the book was absolutely bulletproof. I did not have to be constantly looking over my shoulder to make sure some other writer had not accidentally (or, in most cases, deliberately) harpooned one of my stories. XHY was set safely in the past, where it was unaffected by anything done in the present. Had the X-Office decided to reveal that Cyclops was really a Skrull, and had been all along, it mattered not one whit to me. "My" Cyke was who he was in the first 60+ issues of the original series, and that was all that mattered.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 12  

Man...i miss XMHY!!!

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version