Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Sarah Silverman on Killing Jesus Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

People are up in arms over Sarah Silverman saying she hopes the Jews did kill Jesus, and that she would do it again.

Now, she said this in the context of one of her characteristically outrageous comedy routines, so only a chowder head would get upset, but let's consider this statement outside that context.

As the Roman world became more and more the center of the Christian Church -- one of your top ten historical ironies -- the newly Christianized Romans wanted to divert attention from the fact that it was THEY who had done the deed. A quick look around told them everybody already hated the Jews, so it took very little effort to hang the blame on them.

But is "blame" the right word? This was all part of The Plan, right? Jesus came to DIE for our sins. And since suicide for our sins was not an option, somebody had to KILL him.

So, you Christian noise makers, instead of getting upset at Ms Silverman, every Easter send her a Thank You card.

Back to Top profile | search

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 2  

We killed Jesus.  The Jews and Romans are just stand-ins for all of us.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

John: We killed Jesus. The Jews and Romans are just stand-ins for all of us.

Whoa, man! I wasn't even in town that day! -- Not Guilty!

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

If the Bible is false, then my guess is that during that
time a group of guys got together and knew they could
not get people to drop their religion and decided
instead to alter it. That way they could keep on
believing, just in a different way. Maybe their intent
was to turn, "eye for an eye" "stone them for their
sins" into "turn the other cheek" and "forgive your
enemies".

So maybe ISIS needs a Jesus moment.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

On a slightly related note, the most bizarre article I saw (on a Christian site) was about Judas. Yes, they conceded his actions were necessary and all part of the 'divine plan' but they ended the article by stating that despite the necessity of what he did, he must still be held accountable. 

WTF?!

Surely he did the world a favour? If it hadn't been him, then SOMEONE was needed to put the plan in motion and save our souls?

Followers of religion really have no idea...

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

There's one gigantic hoop Christans of all stripes seem able to jump thru: sure, the Jews and Judas (redundant, I know) were "only following orders," but they had free will, and could have chosen to disobey those orders!

"And for our next trick, we will prove that fire is cold!"

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

But is "blame" the right word? This was all part of The Plan, right? Jesus came to DIE for our sins. And since suicide for our sins was not an option, somebody had to KILL him.

Kirk had to allow Edit Keeler to die. McCoy wasn't aware of that, so he blamed Kirk (at least at first). "He knows, Doctor, he knows." 

But did the Jews know? 

“Ye are of your father the devil and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him.  When he speaks a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar and the father of it.  And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.  Which of you convinceth me of sin?  And I say the truth, why do you not believe me?  He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God” (John 8.43-47)

“Stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so you do.  Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which showed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers” (Acts 7.51-53)

The Jews are murdering devils, and it seems for that alone deserve damnation. 

But they are worse than devils merely incapable of knowing the truth of Jesus. They could have known, but refused to know, yet still murdered him. The Jews long before Jesus were murdering devils, the Jews of Jesus' time were murdering devils, and... the Jews... afterwards...?

History provides 2000 years of the Christian answer to that.

BLAME!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ah, but their failings were intrinsic and so they could be relied upon to live down to the Lord's expectations of them. And since those failings are their own, of course they must pay a price for them, the same as any of us must pay the price for our failings... That the Lord was counting on them to screw up in exactly the fashion they did excuses nothing, y'see? He didn't force them to behave that way. They simply were true to who they were, as God made them... okay, waitaminnit... :-)

Didn't Silverman's "Jesus is Magic" come out in 2005? Is this something that's coming back for some reason? Is there actually a very long list of things for conservatives to get offended about and they're only just now getting around to comedy routines from eleven years ago? Or would that be skipping ahead for them?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 9  

Brian, I believe it's because she spoke at the DNC last week. It's an example of "see how evil these people are! Look at who they let speak for them!". Oh, and also an example of being humor impaired.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2016 at 12:15am | IP Logged | 10  

Maybe it`s in the news again after 2005 because of the internet? I keep seeing memes,scams and hoaxes from years ago suddenly popping up again.
Regarding faith and delusion,i had a rather odd exchange with a friend of a friend last week...On Facebook my friend who is a mental health nurse posted a picture meme of all the good Obama had done,a friend of hers replied that The Obama`s are Satanists,their daughters are adopted because Michelle used to be a man.I asked what proof she had,DNA? Had she seen Mrs Obama naked etc? She replied that there was a Satanist cabal ruling the world and only Putin was preventing WWIII.She then went on to say that she didn`t read newspapers or watch tv news from the likes of the BBC as they were all run by the cabal,with members like Simon Cowell,Sharon Osbourne,The Who,Led Zep etc.She claimed she got her `news` from internet sites run by ex-military and journalists who`d escaped the mainstream media.When i asked for sources for her claims the first link she posted was a BBC internet news item! When i pointed out that the BBC as she claimed was part of her conspiracy she got a bit irate! Then claimed that Fox news was the only trustworthy news provider other than her internet sources! Basically,there was no reasoning with her,as her faith in her sources is SO strong that she she`s Satanists everywhere.Remember how i mentioned,that my friend is a mental health nurse? This person is a colleague,NOT a patient.Scary.

Edited by Bill Collins on 03 August 2016 at 12:17am

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 August 2016 at 5:03am | IP Logged | 11  

Maybe it`s in the news again after 2005 because of the internet?

••

Almost certainly! The Disinformation Highway never let's anything die!

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2016 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 12  

"We killed Jesus."

Hey, I may have slandered the guy at one point or another,
but I never touched him.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |