Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 57 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 27--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You will not be shocked to hear that I am looking forward to next issue! (Like I ever wasn't, right?)
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Agreed with people saying speculating is worthless - too often I'm wrong - and thankful for it.  No fun if the story always goes the direction I expect it to, if it does that then I might as well write it.

Loved the 'Commonwealth' comment, as I understand it most in the Commonwealth saw the Yankees as 'Johnny come lately' types - show up only when convenient, not when needed (especially after they came in late during WWI then ignored their treaties and avoided WWII for a couple of years iirc).

Also love the total freedom here for JB to do this how he feels is right.  No editorial dictates saying 'this is what other people did after you, so to keep readers happy just stick to it OK?'  Instead we get a much better Logan - one who can't heal from everything and certainly not instantly.  I love the bones not healing super fast - should be interesting to see how the rest of the story goes.

Whim of Iron...heh...made me think of one of Shooters earliest creations - Ferro Lad, can turn into solid iron but still move.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It seem like Logan’s healing factor worked faster back in the day.

We need a Wolverine: The Hidden Years. LOL
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We’re dealing here, of course, with the “healing factor” as it was when I left the book. Not instantaneous, but quick enough to keep him from being too long incapacitated—at least once the adamantium bones were swapped in.

Most of you here already know Shooter was grumbling that the healing factor and adamantium bones were “unrealistic”, even to forcing Chris to rewrite Wolverine’s run in with those Hellfire Club goons. Despite my having drawn a solid hit from machine gun fire, Shooter ordered it scripted as Logan being only “grazed”. Once I left the book he upped the pressure on Chris that ultimately gave us “laced” bones. (What does that even mean?!)

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

My biology is foggy at best, but in order to function the bones couldn't be just pure adamantium, right? Bones do more in our system than just give us structure and hold us up, don't they interface with the other systems on a cellular level that would make metal bones of any kind shut the other systems down? I thought that's why they started using the "laced" terminology: (had no idea about the behind the scenes drama) bones gotta do what bones do.   < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wolverine’s biology ain’t like us reg’lar folk.

One of Shooter’s arguments against adamantium bones was that white blood corpuscles are manufactured in the marrow. We of the X-Office pointed out that Wolverine didn’t NEED white corpuscles.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

A certain leap does need to be made in order to get to super heroes. Where blood is made, laced or replaced (old habits die hard), bone or just added claws, etc. all mean we have to be accepting to the fiction. I think it isn't too far a leap to ask a reader to allow Logan's physiology to be slightly or wildly different than what we know as human. The next step is to accept it without following it with, "ok, but what about..."

We need enough info to make it interesting, plausible within the comic story and framework only. Issues of Elsewhen will not be preceded by newly created Marvel Handbook entries to support the series. =)

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When dealing with comic book science, I think it works because is almost always the best explanation. It's when real world explanations are invoked, that unwanted questions are invited. For example, as a youngster, I had no trouble accepting that Captain America could jump out of an airplane and land on his shield without getting hurt, but when the stories started telling me that this was because his shield was composed of a vibranium alloy, which nullified the force of the impact, I began wondering why the shield, when thrown as a weapon, created an impact. Eventually, I accepted that it works because, but I think it's best to avoid the whole circular process in the first place.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Once at a con, a fan asked me what kind of spider had bitten Peter Parker. “Were you planning an experiment?” I asked.

I then told him it didn’t matter, as all North American spiders are to some degree venomous.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

First of all, let me say I love where this is going and I love even more how it's getting there :)

But I think we can all agree that we play fast and loose with the degree of consistency and believability we put upon these yarns we all enjoy so much. My line in the sand is, "does it keep me from reasonably enjoying story being presented"?

That being said, no one will ever be able to provide sound reason for why Colossus' blue tights go away when he transforms!  :)

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Unstable molecules!

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

In my mind, John Severin inks the flashbacks.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 57 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |