Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: January 6 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2022 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ron, thanks for clarifying.  I don't have an opinion about the quality of the television coverage, because I've followed the hearings online much more than I've watched them on TV.

But even before the hearings, I think it was clear to most people that any wrongs committed by Trump involved the cooperation of other people, either as surrogates, direct participants, or just people who covered for him.

Edited by John Wickett on 15 June 2022 at 8:46pm
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2022 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

We've know for quite awhile now that Congressman Loudermilk conducted a very unusual tour of the building the day before the 6th with people known to express violence toward named sitting lawmakers! He lied, said there was no tour, even had a top security official corroborate that lie, and Loudermilk is still in office today. Many others witnessed that tour but they were mistaken? No, there is surveillance material of these people taking many photos of stairways and security checkpoints... those areas are not normal tourist attractions.

There should have been charges before now, much closer to the events. Obviously what has swayed Republicans like Graham and McCarthy from the truth they initially confirmed is how there have been few to no consequences for the people at the top. McCarthy went from demanding action against Trump to showily posing with him in his Mar-A-Lago resort. These mid-terms are going to see a party more in bed with Trump than ever before which is saying something! Countless experienced people with records of achievement and ethical standards have been replaced sometimes by utter fruit-loops, in the spirit of Karl Rove and accusing your 'enemy' of that which you are most guilty this is the real replacement theory no longer theory but put into practice to hollow out and weaken the U.S. for the benefit of a very few... including foreign enemies like Putin whom many of these people were openly admiring over the past couple of decades. That ought to have been a clear shock and warning.

Not with a bang but a whimper? As goes The Voice Of America so goes America? The long-standing infrastructure of the postal service was a target for Trump's revenge since he was caught in that jewellery tax avoidance scheme which misused it. A vote for Trump to stick it to enemies like Obama may've seemed a fine idea with some of his supporters, but what if all his enemies are actually not yours? What if you need some of these long-standing institutions, that built the country, which he has damaged and which he and his bed buddies are only going to want to eradicate from the comfort of their secured gated resorts and mansions? Don't think you'll ever be "armed with a sidewalk"?

I'm worried the next stage is for another big ratings show trial through the media in place of actually charging some of these criminals. How does he and most of his co-conspirators keep getting away with some of the most threadbare lies, hardly veiled intimidation, and toddler-level counter narratives... how? Answer that to really know how you get to here and now. Other than a lot of people failing, through incompetence or deliberately, to do the jobs they are well paid for, I don't know. :^(

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 15 June 2022 at 8:58pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2022 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

So much evidence of criminal, corrupt, and immoral behavior.

The intertwining of video and testimony is pretty compelling.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2022 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And yet he’ll still be our next president.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2022 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If that Loudermilk is allowed to worm his way out of what he did in helping the attackers of his colleagues (only having to be brought before some internal ethics committee whoever that might consist of) I'd be really cheesed off. The buildings were closed to tours/tourist during covid and he flouted that rule... where they get off taking a supposedly principled stand on the filibuster rule I do not know! The people who witnessed that bizarre 'tour' were branded as liars and acting politically when they spoke about it... I hope they will be around to see some justice.

The photos of Pence and family hiding in a room with curtains closed, and the gallows erected for him, ought to be enough to say there was no mere "protest" in mind.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2022 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And yet he’ll still be our next president.

Jury is still out on THAT one (literally!)... sounds like all the talk I heard from ppl who felt Biden didn't stand a chance to beat Trump in 2020 to begin with!! Many friends AND family of mine told me they were sure he'd serve a 2nd term... so I think I'll hold on till at least next year when the real build up to the 2024 election begins.

We are in uncharted territory.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 16 June 2022 at 11:23pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2022 at 1:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Nah. The only way he doesn’t win is if he dies before the election. And then
we’ll get DeSantis. Who may or may not be worse.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2022 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"And yet he’ll still be our next president."

Not long ago I was convinced that Trump was the only Republican who couldn't defeat Biden in 2024, but at this point I think you may be right.  

Personally, I wish that neither of them would run again.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2022 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Trump will be the next president. Because there really are that many morons
around.

But won’t he be pretty much the same age Biden was when Trump was
mocking his age? Oh yeah, forgot, Trump has somehow built a cult whereby
he can say about others things that when said about him, people are being
unfair.

I’ve not seen much footage showing long uncut speeches/talking from
Trump recently. How’s his dementia progressing?

Geeze, Putin, Johnson, Trump, the president of Hungary.

We really did decide to give up on democracy didn’t we.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2022 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Trump rally today in Nashville, so dust off those 'Trump Lashes Out!' headlines... oh wait, the last use was only a couple of days ago, not much time for dust to accumulate.

Just think, they might witness 'history', even 'holy' history (note big sign above stage reading 'Faith & Freedom') if he declares he will run in 2024. Hot ticket! And to think in the beginning he had to pay people to attend, well, pretty sure he pays that same black guy with the 'Blacks For Trump' sign conveniently parked behind him. Hope he was paid upfront. We know Herman Cain would've been there anyway... if he could (oops).

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2022 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

In the Trump birthday thread, I said "Hope it's his last!" amd I have to admit that I felt a bit uneasy about it. I don't like wishing death on anyone. But really, it feels like the only way out of this mess is if he assumes room temperature*.

• He's never going to face criminal charges, let alone actually be convicted of them. 
  • He's going to be allowed to run for President again.
  • No Republican that maintains political aspirations would dare speak out or act against him because that will just end their career and be replaced by someone who wont (also leading to my first 2 points above), and they won't dare risk losing MAGA voters as long as the man continues to convert oxygen into carbon dioxide.
  • There will be little to no challenge to Trump in the 2024 primaries.
  • The people that voted for Trump in 2020 (which don't forget gave him the second-highest amount of votes in history - it's just that Biden managed to beat even that) are not going to be swayed by these hearings, so he'll probably get at least the same amount the next time around.
  • With enough cracks in the economy and the little to no actual enthusiasm about Biden's performance, some of his 2020 votes may well go to Trump in 2024 and have him beat the previous near-record.
* Yes, I stole that from Rush Limbaugh, but I may as well use it against someone he helped put into office.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2022 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yeah, the most worrying thing is the shortcut thinking that a lot of swing voters are probably going to do. They'll look at how the economy is doing in the leadup to the election. They'll compare it to how the economy did under Trump. And even if they don't believe it's down to either guy (which it won't be), they'll make a snap judgement. If the economy is going great guns, they'll plump for the incumbent. If the economy is doing badly, they'll vote in Trump.

The big hope is that 2024 is still a substantial chunk away when it comes to the economy and things could be better by then. If inflation is still a problem in two years, though, then it's nailed on people will vote for change.

Edited by Peter Martin on 17 June 2022 at 7:24pm

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version