Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 37 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.32--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2022 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

GREAT last page!

The Dooms and Wolverine are just perfect.
And a great cliff hanger!

Awesome.
Thank you!
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2022 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well that really is one heck of not one but multiple cliffhangers.  Believe it or not, I’m somehow more curious as to the fate of Scott and “Jean” ( but as you know Jean/Phoenix has been my favorite character). 

Any details you share as to what was going to happen would be marvelous but, if not, I’m sure I can fill in some possibilities on my own… (I have my own story for what could have happened if the original Dark Phoenix really inhabited the original Jean and what the fallout from that could be for Jean trying to come to grips with killing a whole planet, so I’m ok with imagining where Elsewhen might have gone  -at least in my own mind)

Every one has said this multiple times (myself included) but thank you so much for these issues.  I couldn’t have imagined a few years ago we’d see such a long X-men run from you and it did not disappoint.  Some truly outstanding art and writing!

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2022 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

At the risk of mind-reading, I think it’s quite telling that the three Dooms
appear identical. A nice change from stories where alternate reality
versions of the same character MUST look different. I think it says
something about the mind of Doom.

But maybe I’m just wrong.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2022 at 3:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Interesting thoughts, Michael. Identical Dooms do signify some sameness of mind-- and their nearly silent reception of Wolverine feels cool, collected and confident.

I'd rather be an inexperienced Sprite chasing that murderer Magneto than be anyone facing 3 or more calm and confident Doctor Dooms.

In his autobiography, Frank Capra describes how he got so excited by the script for MEET JOHN DOE that he was half-way done shooting before they realized they didn't have an ending. They knew they needed Gary Cooper up on the roof, threatening to jump, and they had a great way to get him up there-- but they didn't know how to get him down. They tested it with a couple endings and some kid (according to Capra) wrote in with a third solution they liked better. They shot that and released it, but never felt like they really got it right.

I love that movie. I love this story. Somehow it's rewarding to see the characters get into such hot water-- even though there isn't necessarily a complete ending for getting them out.

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2022 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I just realized what that last page is: a crossover from Doom Patrol.

...apologies, I'll see myself out.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2022 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The next installment might as easily have been called "The Three Dooms of Wolverine."

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2022 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The multiple Dooms are one of the elements I decided to cut.

Too much of a bad thing—plus too similar to the multi-Magneto plotline I’d just finished.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2022 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

John's Wolverine is the best in the business! I will miss these morning installments. Thanks again for the awesome run... I get that this story was troubling you but I would have had no problem with the "bookend" nature of the repeated multiple villain iteration plotlines. In fact, their differences (and I suspect Doom's "alternates" WOULD be "differently different" from Magneto's) might have been instructive and telling! But you know your muse and I'm grateful for all that you have already given us, which is way more than we deserved! Thanks again.

Terry St Jean
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2022 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

With 3 Dooms, the next issue could be called "Thrice Upon a Time"

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2022 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Kurt's conundrum seems pretty doggone dire to me.

We know from the alternate Nightcrawler that teleporting other people from alternate universes is at the very least painful in the extreme ---  and as shown during the alt-X-Men's escape, it withered the poor chap down to the point of death.  Just dried him right the heck up.

Can you imagine the strain of dimension-hopping critters as magic-powerful as Doom?  "Our" Kurt has to be as weak as a kitten with little chance of escaping on his own, and if Magneto had no problem with burning him out, you know that Doom will reduce him to ashes if it means rescuing his mother.

So... yeah.  

Dire.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2022 at 1:10am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I would say the multi-villain thing was not so much a repeat as a continuation --- the consequences of what Magneto started via Nightcrawler.

(...and the Doom-banter would have been priceless, no doubt). :)

Jonathan Kaye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2022 at 2:18am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB, thank you for everything.  For the stories that hooked me as a child, and for the wonderfully unexpected gift of Elsewhen that brought it all back again.  "My cup runneth over" indeed.

<< Prev Page of 37 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |