Whether this amounts to a little bit of intrigue or a great deal of intrigue
should not be the determining factor of your ability to acknowledge that it is
so.
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2023 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Two more bullet points worth singling out:

ME: I would like to see one source for your claim that the consensus of historians is that investigation has verified Heminges and Condell are, indeed, the editors as the letters attributed to them claim.

SB replied: That's like asking me to provide one source showing that historians agree that World War II began in 1939. It's the consensus opinion, something so accepted that the only people who trouble to challenge it are the Alternative Authorship theorists.

What bullshit.

First--If it was that easy, then just name one. I can easily find a historian who will state, with evidence, when he/she believes WWII started. So if there's so many historians who claim, with supporting evidence, that Heminges and Condell wrote the letters attributed to them then just pick one and post the name.

The problem isn't that there aren't any historians looking at the Authorship Question-- it's that there aren't any who are Stratfordians.

The "consensus" is not built by historians who are examining the evidence-- because once a historian looks at the evidence then, just like the Supreme Court Justices who look at the same evidence, they stop holding the Stratfordian view.

Shakespeare lit professors, on the other hand? Oh brother. Winkler's book does an excellent job looking around that world and finding the "consensus" is not at all as strong or universal as you present it here.

Anyway, second bullet point:

SB replied: You've (deliberately?) left out Leonard Digges, whose stepfather was Thomas Russell - and who was also one of the overseers of Shakespeare's will.

Typical Stratfordian scholarship and innuendo. No, I didn't deliberately leave Digges out, but since you single him out, let's look at Leonard Digge's bogus connection to Shaksper (which wouldn't connect him to Heminges or Condell, even if it wasn't bogus). The "evidence" that Leonard Digges and Shaksper knew each other dates back to Shakespeare researcher Leslie Hotson, who noticed the "link" between Russell and John Shaksper in 1938, then made claims way beyond what was found in the evidence. First, Hotson declared a friendship between Russell and John Shakespeare must exist, though it is in no way supported by Russell's official position of "overseer" to Shaksper's will-- and then Hotson went on to totally invent locations and opportunities for Digges and Shaksper to become friendly with no evidence that actually puts them ever living near each other or having any personal relationship whatsoever.

But when one Stratfordian says something that supports the weak connections between Shaksper and the works, it becomes unquestioned gospel and is repeated as fact endlessly by defenders of the orthodoxy who won't look into the evidence for themselves.

That is all you're doing here, Steven-- you aren't actually engaging with the evidence. You're taking the most surface-level reading of the folio and pretending that's all there is to it because that is the official Stratfordian position.

Is there evidence that Heminges and Condell weren't editors of the folio?
Yes.
Can we discuss the implications?
No.
Why?
Because they were the editors and no matter what the evidence says, it's not evidence unless it supports the weakly supported conclusion that the consensus of Shakespeare lit professors (not historians) have all agreed to defend.

Yawn.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2023 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Michael Penn wrote: Steven, no putative timeline, whether broadly or narrowly supported, of when the plays of Shakespeare were written/published/performed tells us anything about when, where, why, and how Will Shaksper himself wrote them. Nor does the Folio. Nor does anything else.

SB replied: That's pretty much true of most literature. We rarely have the author's thoughts on the work, or works, they were composing, the reasons they wrote them, etc.

The purpose of this kind of argument, though, seems to be to allow for the possibility that the plays ascribed to Shakespeare were actually written by someone else - again, let's stick with Oxford, the preferred alternative candidate - earlier, or perhaps even far earlier, than they were published. This just doesn't hold water, ignoring the role played by collaborators in co-authoring the plays, or the contemporary references that can be found in them.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2023 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Mark Haslett wrote: The fact is there is no basis for this claim you are making except what is written in the letters. But the letters are clearly not written by them. They are not the editors of the Folio. They have no background in that work, they have no skills for it, they have no connection to their alleged collaborators — their names are there for reasons which are not completely understood and it is not controversial to state this.

SB replied: Heminges and Condell had known Shakespeare for decades. Their relationship had obviously been a close one, given that they were named in his will. 

What "skills" did they need to possess? They needed to remember the plays that they'd appeared in, try to locate copies of them, then arrange with a publisher to have them published in a collection. Why do you feel that this is some kind of extraordinary feat that was beyond them, or some sort of cunning subterfuge that they were participating in?

Mark Haslett wrote: Hotson declared a friendship between Russell and John Shakespeare must exist, though it is in no way supported by Russell's official position of "overseer" to Shaksper's will.

SB replied: Russell's position of overseer to Shakespeare's will - incidentally, I believe that's how the name is spelt in it, not "Shaksper", so I'm not sure why you've used the latter -  is surely more indicative of some kind of relationship between them, rather than indifference.

Mark Haslett wrote: Is there evidence that Heminges and Condell weren't editors of the folio? Yes. Can we discuss the implications? No.

SB replied: Is it possible there was another, unacknowledged, editor, or even editors, of the Folio? 

Yes, possibly. John Florio has been suggested. But even if that's true, it in no way diminishes the role played by Heminges and Condell, nor undermines the fact that they'd known Shakespeare for decades and obviously regarded him as being the author.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2023 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
...the plays of Shakespeare... when, where, why, and how Will Shaksper himself wrote them. 

SB replied: That's pretty much true of most literature. We rarely have the author's thoughts on the work, or works, they were composing, the reasons they wrote them, etc.

That's not "pretty much true" of Ben Jonson, Philip Sidney, Christopher Marlowe, John Donne, Walter Raleigh, John Fletcher, on and on, etc.

For stratfordians, the lack of evidence of Shaksper's doing the works is extremely frustrating.

For antistratfordians, it is extremely suspicious.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2023 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Michael Penn: That's not "pretty much true" of Ben Jonson, Philip Sidney, Christopher Marlowe, John Donne, Walter Raleigh, John Fletcher, on and on, etc.

SB replied: Jonson's pretty much the only person on that list who very much vaunted his authorship. He also vouched for Shakespeare's, although he was more ambivalent about the quality of his work.

What do we know of Marlowe's thoughts on his writing? Tamburlaine and Edward II, while pretty much universally agreed as having been by him - or according to the practices of the day, at least co-authored by him - were never published under his name while he lived. 

What records did Sidney, Donne, Raleigh, and Fletcher leave with regards to their writing? Diaries? Letters to contemporaries?

Michael Penn wrote: For stratfordians, the lack of evidence of Shaksper's doing the works is extremely frustrating.

SB replied: Yes, and it has to be conceded that, desperate to fill in the blanks, far too many Stratfordians have indulged in far too much myth-making.

Michael Penn wrote: For antistratfordians, it is extremely suspicious.

SB replied: To anti-Stratfordians, or Alternative Authorship theorists, everything is suspicious. There's pretty much nothing that they won't find hidden meanings or deep significance in.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2023 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

SB: What "skills" did they need to possess?

Why do I think creating the first folio was an extraordinary feat? Have
you seen it? You make it sound like any bumbler could have created it
— an obvious error on your part.

But sticking just to their letters, they would need: The skills to write in
the style of Ben Jonson, with references to Pliny and Horace, as
scrupulously documented by Stratfordian scholars and pointed out to
you repeatedly in this thread.

To create the folio, the editors also needed the skills of editors. They’d
need to compile and execute notes in the texts and deliver completed
versions of the texts, oversee type-setting, design, layout, and
everything else involved in editing. Some evidence of these skills would
help if you want to credit them for compiling and editing the folio.

The record has no hint of Hemings and Connell possessing these skills.
It is not even certain whether or not they could write at all.

The evidence of their inclusion in Shaksper’s Will is that their small gifts
were after thoughts, added at the last possible moment. This in no way
indicates he gave them manuscripts to caretake and oversee. The Will
mentions spoons and chairs, but not manuscripts which could be bound
and sold for what would amount to hundreds of dollars per copy by
today’s standards. Unlikely on its face, but gospel truth for
Stratfordians.

As to “Overseer” indicating friendship, that’s just wishful thinking.
Overseers officially supervised executors and were paid for services.

And Digges almost never lived with his stepfather, and was a 12 year
old boy at the time he may have lived near Shaksper.

You bring in John Florio as a possible editor, leaving aside the more
obvious and documented case for Jonson-as-editor. Whatever.

At this point, one has to admit you’ve drawn this out insufferably. Like a
child refusing to take medicine, you have taken us so far beyond the
original point that it’s hard to see any value in continuing. You won’t
concede a jot of orthodoxy no matter the evidence.

You will always misrepresent the evidence rather than acknowledge
anything is amiss in the case for Shaksper as author.

(In the will, his name is spelled “Shackspeare”)

Edited by Mark Haslett on 24 July 2023 at 11:14pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2023 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

SB: SB replied: To anti-Stratfordians, or Alternative Authorship
theorists, everything is suspicious. There's pretty much nothing that
they won't find hidden meanings or deep significance in.

Here is the broadest possible generalization meant to cast ad hominem
aspersions on authorship doubters while casting you as a thinker of
reason, patience and good will. “If only the other side wasn’t so
EXTREME,” you seem to say.

Eye-roll.

You hardly opine on this subject unless it is to misrepresent the case.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2023 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Mark Haslett wrote: Why do I think creating the first folio was an extraordinary feat? Have you seen it? You make it sound like any bumbler could have created it — an obvious error on your part.

SB replied: No, I don't think "any bumbler" could have created the First Foliot. It was published by Edward Blount and William Jaggard, who'd had decades of experience of publishing and obviously knew their trade.

Market Haslett wrote: To create the folio, the editors also needed the skills of editors. They’d need to compile and execute notes in the texts and deliver completed versions of the texts, oversee type-setting, design, layout, and everything else involved in editing. Some evidence of these skills would help if you want to credit them for compiling and editing the folio.

SB replied: I don't doubt for a moment that Blount and Jaggard possessed such skills. There's no requirement for Heminges and Condell to have done so. Their role seems to have been to have collected as many manuscripts as possible, and commission Blount and Jagger to publish them in a collection.

Mark Haslett wrote: The record has no hint of Heminges and Connell possessing these skills. It is not even certain whether or not they could write at all.

SB replied: As above, there's no requirement for them to have possessed the technical skills that Blount and Jaggard had. 

With regards to the second point - no, true, but they'd been actors for years, decades, actually. It's reasonable to assume a degree of literacy on their part.

Mark Haslett: The evidence of their inclusion in Shaksper’s Will is that their small gifts were after thoughts, added at the last possible moment.

SB replied: There is no way you can possibly know this.

Mark Haslett wrote: This in no way indicates he gave them manuscripts to caretake and oversee. 

SB replied: Who's claiming otherwise? There were seven years between Will's passing and the Folio's publication, during which time
 Heminges and Condell - perhaps Burbage too, before his death in 1619? - were trying to find as many manuscripts as possible. 

Mark Haslett wrote: At this point, one has to admit you’ve drawn this out insufferably...

SB replied: I won't include the rest of your diatribe, Mark - anyone who wants to read it in full can read your preceding post just above this one.

I can't understand what it is about the Alternative Authorship debate that seems to make you so embittered? I obviously don't agree with it, but I find it an interesting subject to discuss.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2023 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

An exemplary exchange:

Mark Haslett wrote: Why do I think creating the first folio was an extraordinary feat? Have you seen it? You make it sound like any bumbler could have created it — an obvious error on your part.

SB replied: No, I don't think "any bumbler" could have created the First Foliot. It was published by Edward Blount and William Jaggard, who'd had decades of experience of publishing and obviously knew their trade.

In what universe does naming the publisher relate to our discussion about who the editor is?Talking with you is like talking to a three-year-old. At this point, I have to believe you’re doing it on purpose.

Your further claim that publishers provide editing services is not backed up by any evidence. It has never been the case, but you suggest this ludicrous possibility as if carried the weight of fact. Editing is an art and the first folio is a great example of why such skill is considered in that light. The fascinating and admired design and folio is not the result of "technical skill" and no one has ever tried to claim that -- until it became convenient to do so in a context like this.

The editor of the Ben Jonson folio was Ben Johnson, because it was necessary to have an editor. The Shakespeare folio, which is far more complicated, also required an editor. Mountains of evidence suggests the identity of this editor is Ben Jonson, which is not a controversial claim although it is not universally accepted. There is no one who believes the publishers or the editors except you. And you were making this claim with studious disregard for the evidence I continue to provide which backs up the claim that it is actually Ben Jonson.

Mor nonsense from SB:

SB: With regards to the second point - no, true, but they'd been actors for years, decades, actually. It's reasonable to assume a degree of literacy on their part.

This is supposed to account for the volumes of Ben Jonson parallels in their letters and the references to Pliny and Horace? The depths of respect you show my posts could almost dampen a kleenex.

more:

Mark Haslett: The evidence of their inclusion in Shaksper’s Will is that their small gifts were after thoughts, added at the last possible moment.

SB replied: There is no way you can possibly know this.

Again-- you make unsupported claims which contradict the facts in evidence. The will was rewritten and rewritten up to Shaksper's death, but the gifts to the share-holders were not incorporated into a rewrite, but added as interlineations. This indicates it was thought of after the will was concluded-- thus "after thoughts, added at the last possible moment." Can't possibly know this, unless we actually look at the evidence-- which is not your style, I'm gathering.

SB replied: Who's claiming otherwise? There were seven years between Will's passing and the Folio's publication, during which time Heminges and Condell - perhaps Burbage too, before his death in 1619? - were trying to find as many manuscripts as possible.

MARK: How kind of you to inform me of what Heminges and Condell were actually doing in those 7 years. I suppose you have some evidence to back up this claim? Even a shred of evidence would end this entire debate, shutting up all the Mark Twains, Orson Welles, Mark Rylances, Supreme Court Justices, historians like David McCollugh, right down to the most stubborn Baconian.

Please, don't keep us waiting.

I am not embittered by the authorship question. This aside from you is another ad hominem attack. You do nothing but assault the integrity of Authorship questioners and ignore evidence.

I have always been embittered by people who obfuscate and refuse to discuss things as presented or stay on point. You are a perfect example. If you continue to speak in replies that studiously avoid the main point, I will simply put you on ignore. You seem determined to demonstrate you are incapable of productive discussion.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 25 July 2023 at 8:27pm

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2023 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
You won’t concede a jot of orthodoxy no matter the evidence.

Hi Mark -- I'm curious if there's anything for Shaksper as the author that you, as a doubter of Stratford Will, would concede. From my perspective, the other way, for example, I cannot but concede that the actual evidence of Shaksper's education (no speculations admitted!) does not accord with the learning evident in the plays.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2023 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Michael: I'm curious if there's anything for Shaksper as the author that you, as a doubter of Stratford Will, would concede. From my perspective, the other way, for example, I cannot but concede that the actual evidence of Shaksper's education (no speculations admitted!) does not accord with the learning evident in the plays.

I think this is a great question.

I think I can answer best by presenting what I would use as the case for Shaksper:

1) The attribution has come down to us from history and there may be lost evidence which backs it up.

2) The folio does contain the words "Stratford" "Avon", apparent contributions from Shaksper associates Heminges and Condell, and a listing for Shakespeare as an actor. These corroborating pieces of evidence seem to make an obstacle to any case against attributing the works to Shaksper.

But that is absolutely the beginning and the end of the case for Stratford. Nothing else-- no allusion by Meres, Greene, or Jonson or anyone else at any point before, during or after the life of the man from Stratford adds to the merit of his case.

This would seem to be an extraordinary claim, except the number of revealing references to Shakespeare-the-author that have come down to us is so small and manageable that it is possible to look at them each and judge their value.

What I find so interesting about this new book and this argument in general is that the doubting side is the only one looking for evidence with an open mind. I would be happy to find the evidence proved Shaksper did it all. But, having looked at the evidence and the arguments as long as I have now, the chances of that are vanishingly small while the case for Shakespeare being the pen-name of a hidden poet and playwrite has reached such a high-probability that it feels undeniable.

The "argument" posted here about the letters of Heminges and Condell is all-too representative of this debate. Evidence amasses bringing a case for doubt of the traditional view-- but holders of the traditional view refuse to acknowledge the evidence, then back-track on what it would even mean if it were real, then create alternative, less-likely hypotheticals to create logical cut-outs that allow the traditional view to stand without reference to the new evidence (e.g. Florio may be the folio editor! Anyone, but trickster and secret-writing expert, Ben Jonson!).

The point of Shaksper's education has been the subject of recent scholarship by an English scholar with extensive real-estate expertise. The record of the Shaksper family properties actually demonstrates that he was not raised in the family's tiny Stratford property, but on their farm miles outside of town. This all but certifies he did not go to the grammar school and creates an impossible gap between his unlearned, impoverished years in Warwickshire and his London debut as the incredibly accomplished poet of Venus & Adonis with at least 5 plays already on the boards.

Anyway, I hope this seems a decent reply.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |