Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Life begins for the Hobgoblin Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2022 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Forty years ago today, the Hobgoblin first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #238 - "Shadow Of Evils Past"!It's a pity that Roger Stern's run ended when and how it did - I'd have loved to have seen his entire Hobgoblin saga as intended, rather than the bumpy ride we got, although at least he got the opportunity to provide the reveal he wanted in "Hobgoblin Lives!" years later.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2022 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Hobgoblin story under Roger Stern and John Romita, Jr. was one of the true high points of the 80s.

A nice mystery, new villain and great arc all brought about by managing to bring a concept back in a new and fresh take.

There is a good article on the Hobgoblin in Back Issue # 35 with interviews with Stern, DeFalco, Owsley/Priest, Frenz and David.

Roger Stern says that he began to work out who the Hobgoblin was with DeFalco (editor of ASM at the time), but left the title when Danny Fingeroth took over as he couldn't work with him the same way he did with DeFalco.

His original plan was to have the Hobgoblin story resolve around issue 260 with the reveal of his ID.

The issues started when DeFalco didn't wan to use Stern's choice Roderick Kingsley as he didn't like the idea of the twin brother to throw suspicion off, and based his resolution as the Hobgoblin being Richard Fisk, and Kingsley as The Rose.

Then when Priest/Owsley took over as editor it just descended in to the madness and confusion that lasted until Stern cam back for Hobgoblin Lives.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That was right when I was getting into comics and I was all about the mystery of Hobgoblin's identity. He's still one of my favorite Spider-Man villains. I re-read the omnibus a year or so back and, man, all the excitement came right back.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Same as me. He became the de facto (De Falco?) super-bad for Spider-Man
for me. Loved the character. I knew the history of the Green Goblin by that
time but I hadn’t read any of the comics yet. So Hobgoblin was it for me. I
really liked The Rose, too.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hobgoblin was the perfect way to have the Green Goblin continue without having Harry be a villain or doing something really bad like resurrecting Norman Osborn.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I was reading the old Green Goblin stories through Marvel Tales concurrently with the new stuff. 

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Hobgoblin was / is a favourite of mine.

I think if Roger Stern had continued or even Tom DeFalco had been allowed to go his course, the character really would have had a far greater impact.

By 1987 after too may red herrings and false starts, I think people were tired of the Hobgoblin story, and the character just became more maligned.

So what should have been a really great and constant edition to the Spider-Man Rogues Gallery was left to flounder, and, I guess Venom got the spotlight instead.

Although with Venom I thought there was no need to introduce Eddie Brock when Lance Bannon, and the way Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz were plotting him could have easily been the host for Venom.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |