Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Ditko in the ’70s (and beyond) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2023 at 3:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's a number of FLY covers by Ditko (who was also doing the interior art and most of the plots), mostly from 1984, with most of them inked by Rudy Nebres.  A strange mix!  I must say I prefer #8, the only one where Ditko inked himself.

And here's the double-page spread for BLUE RIBBON COMICS #1, also by Ditko & Nebres, for a book full of Simon & Kirby reprints.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2023 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Cool! Marvel Tales #167 added to my 'list'. I remember buying #137-onward for awhile but didn't get to that number.

I got The Fly up to #5. I didn't dislike Rudy Nebres' art, I liked Nestor Redondo best of the Filipino school, but he was a bit heavy-handed as an inker.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2023 at 4:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There's something almost wicked in assigning Nebres to ink Ditko. Editorial indecision.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2023 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Here's Ditko's character STATIC in a variety of different titles, all penciled and inked by Ditko.  He started at Eclipse, went to Charlton, ended up at Renegade Press, and then the material was collected and published by Robin Snyder.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 24 February 2023 at 1:05pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2023 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rudy Nebres is probably the king of overpowering inkers.  He just obliterates the style of anyone he inks over.  So I tend to like him only if he's inking himself or someone who's not as good an artist as he is.

Charlton Action featuring Static was the last comic featuring new material that Charlton ever published (they were otherwise reprint-only at the time).  It's appropriate that Ditko was the one to ring down the curtain on Charlton as a comics publisher. 

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2023 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've never seen Static before. I *love* that design!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2023 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The only Static I have is what ran in Eclipse Monthly. Like some of the later Kirby comics, there are Ditko comics that are very pricey now, and the two Charlton Statics seem to fall in that category (like the first Mister Machine in 2001). In a way it's good to see, unless you really want them but don't have them. :^(

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

MACHINE MAN is the rarest of the rare--a series with the rest half of the run drawn by Jack Kirby and the second half of the run by Steve Ditko!  He didn't do all the covers of his run though, but here are the ones he did.  (All penciled and inked by Steve Ditko unless otherwise noted.)

MACHINE MAN #14 penciled by John Byrne and inked by Steve Ditko

I think these are all great, especially 10, 11, and 14--where Ditko inked Byrne!  Did Ditko ever ink ANY other of the more modern artists?!?

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
Did Ditko ever ink ANY other of the more modern artists?!?

As I noted upthread, the first ten pages of Micronauts Annual #2 were pencilled by Rich Buckler and inked by Ditko. And I mistakenly stated that was the only post-60s instance in which Ditko inked another artist.  I'm thinking now that Annual and this Machine Man cover might be it, though.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ah yes, thanks!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2023 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think Ditko had more input storywise into his first five issues of his run on Machine Man with Marv Wolfman credited as writer, although 'Marvel method' there often was by the main artist of course.

I was looking at the cover of Incredible Hulk #235 (first of three stories with Machine Man leading into the return of his own title) which doesn't seem to have been signed, and wondering if Ditko had a hand in it. It could be Milgrom trying to look Ditkoish, but then Ditko's version hadn't been published yet (not until the month after #237).

Was going to try a joke about what evidence is there that there really was a Steve Ditko after the threads on Jesus and Shakespeare, but nooo, I really better not. :^)

Did Ditko ever do any kind of romance or cartoon animal comics ever? I mean not horror and not counting Konga... I'm having trouble imagining either somehow. It seems like Kirby did some of everything over his career.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2023 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yep!  The Grand Comics Database says that it's Al Milgrom inked by Steve Ditko!

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |