Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: The WGA Strike UPDATED: SAG-AFTRA Strike Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 03 August 2023 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It’s a lose-lose to fight for the mythical Jack and Jill public which, where this strike is concerned, really doesn’t affect their day-to-day. Either the 1% donate to help their fellow actors, the vast majority who make a fraction of what they do and are fighting just to get to the $26.5k gross for heath benefits to kick in among many other concerns, or they don’t for some supposed fear that their generosity will be turned against them.  

Their donations, kicked off by The Rock, are publicized so that others in his financial sphere follow suit and do the right thing. If the public can’t figure out the reason why they HAVE to donate to a fund to help actors during times of need, that they’re doing it to help the thousands of people who are in the same industry yet are not as fortunate, then that’s Jack and Jill’s problem.  No PR is going to convince them any different.  

Back to Top profile | search

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2023 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's an unfortunate fantasy among the public that talented people get rich doing art.  SOME do, but the vast majority don't.  You're fortunate (and busting your ass) if you can, but most have to have regular jobs to support it. I've seen genuine astonishment from people who think I'm raking it in making indie comics and selling posters. (Ha!)  My musician friends have often embodied the old joke about 4 guys piled in a $600 van filled with $10,000 of gear to drive 100 miles for a $20 gig.  I've seen it.  Many times.  

People love what we do, but often resent having to pay for it.  All those background actors, "assorted voice" VO actors on video games, etc. are important.  They deserve to be compensated fairly.

Just as an aside, I have marveled at con-goers wincing at a $5 comic book while complaining about the 47th DC reboot while carrying $1000 worth of Toys they bought that day.  I didn't count, but I've seen it more often than I care to. It's amazing what you can overhear sitting at a con table.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 03 August 2023 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The thing is? This is really a local issue.  Y’all may not get your shows and movies this year or next, but LA is hurting.  The last strike in ‘07-08 purportedly cost the city $2.5 BILLION.  That was 16 years ago, not adjusted for inflation.  

Flash-forward to today.  Everyone is hurting, from the people who supply craft services (those snacks backstage), to grips, to gaffers, to lighting technicians, to costumers, designers, prop houses, drivers, and runners.  The florists, restaurants and bars who host events.  It trickles down.  

I’m not union because I’m not offered that opportunity, but it hits me as well.  Link 

It ain’t pretty here.  Been bleak for months and no signs it’s getting any better.  With the COVID shutdown and now this? Then the reduction of series on streaming and the curbing of costs associated with studio losses.  Fuck me.  That said?  I support my sisters and brothers who have a union and their fight. I see the moment and understand its importance.  

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2023 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Whenever I watch a movie with my younger son (age 15), I always make sure to sit with him through the full credits, and I make a point of, well, pointing out the astonishing number of people involved in bringing the notion of a film into actual existence. I believe it's important for him (for all audiences, really) to at least one time learn but then ever after appreciate the difference between a key grip, gaffer, and best boy, etc. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 August 2023 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Some of us older folks remember when movies ended with THE END. Maybe a repeat of the cast (and not all of them).

SUPERMAN-THE MOVIE was the first to include the full credits, running ten minutes!

Now, we have not only become accustomed to the credits running so long, we expect extra story to pop up in the middle, or even after them!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 August 2023 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's an unfortunate fantasy among the public that talented people get rich doing art. SOME do, but the vast majority don't. You're fortunate (and busting your ass) if you can, but most have to have regular jobs to support it. I've seen genuine astonishment from people who think I'm raking it in making indie comics and selling posters. (Ha!) My musician friends have often embodied the old joke about 4 guys piled in a $600 van filled with $10,000 of gear to drive 100 miles for a $20 gig. I've seen it. Many times.

•••

Back in Fairfield, on a street populated mostly by multi-millionaires, I was generally assumed to be The Rich Guy on the block. After all, I was somehow in Show Business, right?

And while I did make a very nice living, I’ll always remember one of my neighbors grumbling that after she and her husband thought they’d paid all their income taxes, they still owed $200,000. I told her I hadn’t even made $200,000 that year!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2023 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Unbelievably arrogant.... Warner Bros. Discovery execs claim the Hollywood strikes have saved the studio somewhere in the “low $100 million range."

Let's see how much money these studios save when they don’t have any new content coming in!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2023 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I am constantly wondering: the thousands and thousands of pitches,
scripts, and treatments that have not been “picked up” over the past
decade, paid for by the companies? That’s their property, right, and can be
developed?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2023 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Seems the studios’ strike chief negotiator told the WGA they are NOT willing to negotiate on success-based residuals.

Buckle down for a rough winter of TV programming.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2023 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The President of Disney has already mused that they might recut some early Disney streaming shows like Wandavision or S1 of Mandalorian and show them on ABC this fall.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 August 2023 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Strikes, by their nature, attack the bottom line of the bosses, and generally inconvenience the consumers. The latter being the very people that the strikers want on their side.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2023 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Update: Disney is not just thinking about, Ms Marvel will be shown on ABC from 8-11 pm tonight, and next Saturday.   

Guess I wasted my money buying a Disney+ subscription.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |