Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Why Not “Free Range”? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2024 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I read a book called Poverty-by America that does a good job calling out the right wing who blame the poor exclusively for their own misfortunes, and the left wing who verbalize the need to help, but don't want shelters in their own neighborhood!

And to agree with JB's point, I'd say renaming something doesn't do anything to address the problem.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2024 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Maybe there’s another way? Once again, I am again reminded of Carl G. Jung.Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual's conscious life, the blacker and denser it is. If an inferiority is conscious, one always has a chance to correct it...but if it repressed and isolated from consciousness, it never gets corrected, and is liable to burst forth suddenly in a moment of unawareness. At all counts, it forms an unconscious snag, thwarting our most well-meant intentions.Carl Jung, C.W. Vol. 11 Psychology and Religion: West and East In the Book of Daniel we read how the prophet reveals to King Nebuchadnezzar his dream, and the meaning thereof. This needs to be emphasized because Daniel actually reveals the dream to Nebuchadnezzar, which Nebuchadnezzar could not remember. I will repeat that Nebuchadnezzar could not actually remember the dream. First, Daniel revealed the dream to Nebuchadnezzar. Secondly, Daniel also reveals the deeper meaning of the dream to Nebuchadnezzar too.Reflecting back, the circumstances behind my own dream were so queer from what I actually expected that I simply had to share it. And noting the similarities with other African influences over the years I have noticed an uncanny pattern emerging in our modern age. As noted above, C.S. Lewis once said, speaking of these pagan myths, “they were like ‘strange dreams’ of the Truth that was to come”. But could this be said of Hollywood, too? Maybe these strange dreams we are having is the coming of someone else? Maybe the Magical Negro is actually the Lord pouring out his Holy Spirit as the entire world unconsciously prophesies of the return of Enoch, the seventh from Adam?Is your mind an aftermath of images? Or is your image an aftermath of minds?God knows your sins and calls you by name.The devil knows your name and calls you by your sins.When I fast and exercise I am clear minded. But sometimes admittedly I am impatient with the 'Uncertainty Principle' of other's false perceptions around me. Seeing the world through their eyes is like seeing the world through a distorted prism of alien philosophies.

Edited~Matt.  Sorry, but the font size was driving me crazy.  

Edited by Matt Reed on 25 February 2024 at 1:05am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2024 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Unhoused still sounds a bit negative.

How about 'Undocumented Residents'?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 February 2024 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Let’s bring back “the Forgotten Men”. During the Great Depression they managed to make that almost sound romantic!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 February 2024 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brandon Frye wrote:
 How about 'Undocumented Residents'?

“Undocumented” carries so many negative connotations, especially in America in 2024.  And the unhoused are not undocumented.  They have documents, they just don’t have stable housing. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 February 2024 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This is such a wide ranging issue that doesn’t have one singular answer.  So many do not have stable housing for a variety of reasons: a poor economy forcing people on the margins out of jobs, or people who are inadequately cared for by a mental health system that is so expensive and far out of reach for so many, or by a system that criminalizes abuse (be it drugs or alcohol) so that they can’t seek the help they need.  Among so many others. We are only now reaching the point where we have to, MUST, accept these things as fact.  But we, as a country, still refuse to acknowledge them.  Being unhoused or homeless or indigent or whatever nomenclature you choose to use isn’t seen as something that happens to you so much as it’s something that you choose to do.  

In America.  In 2024.  

Who THE FUCK would ever choose to NOT have a home?  No one.  

So there are systemic issues at play, ones we are very much NOT willing to deal with nor even consider.  Easier to blame and look down upon rather than put yourself in their shoes.  

I don’t pretend to know the answer.  Living in LA where the homeless or unhoused problem has gotten infinitely worse over the nearly 30 years I’ve lived here, it’s an issue to be sure.  But no one has an answer because, I think, they aren’t attacking it from multiple fronts.  They, being the politicians, just don’t need the optics of homeless encampments on Ventura Blvd (of which there are many) or Melrose or in Santa Monica.  Move them out and it’s all solved.  Moving on.  

This situation will only get worse, not better, if we don’t address the root.  And we’re far from addressing even the leaves let alone the root. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2024 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This all smacks of our lovely double-ex Home Secretary saying
homelessness was a lifestyle choice.
Beat up the marginalised & thugs will love you for it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2024 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

John Byrne, could please tell more about “the Forgotten Men”?.

Matt.  Sorry, about the font size. I usually type my deeper thoughts in Microsoft Word and then copy and paste.

Edited by Dale Lerette on 25 February 2024 at 7:37pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2024 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

One of the things we've done is to close mental institutions, this leads to many who used to be in them not so much integrating into society as becoming a component of the homeless population when support gets cut. Throw in drugs and substance use and where can things go? It's unpopular to bring back institutions but the people who cannot and never will be able to make use of help to control their own lives make it worse for all those who can. A Las Vegas police chief once said it was less than 10% of the 'street' population which cost 90% of the police budget and time, the ones who with a lot of help could straighten out but with less than a lot became the recurring problem person in that 10%. Everywhere has made the police force the main entity to 'deal with' the mentally ill and substance addicted... and it's rarely a good fit.

Deal with the extreme minority who can't/won't control their lives and the money saved not treating them endlessly in a way that never works for them can go to the vast majority that really can be helped, that are working poor and can't afford decent housing, that have treatable addiction issues... instead of a revolving door band-aid where police who cost a bit themselves are wasted on the same few extreme people over and over, and paramedics are parked permanently on scene to bring an OD back yet again to be saved many times while a pensioner waits a couple hours with a broken hip (perhaps even suffered after a break-in for drug money) for the same kind of attention.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 25 February 2024 at 8:00pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2024 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I am still praying that all humanity would be gifted in the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. These are the blessings we use in marriage. Against such things there is no law.  

There is a ‘Present’ that is everywhere at once. Right now it is the Present. But if I wait a few seconds it is still the Present. And if I wait a Thousand Years, it’s still the Present. What divides the Past & Present yet retains so interconnected?

Once upon a time I’ll pass on to the next
For as soon as I am here I’ve left.
However this is merely how you perceive.
For I never really change and yet still continue to weave.

I am reminded of that old poem from long ago:

“Has it ever struck you that life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes by you so quick you hardly catch it going?” -- Tennessee Williams  

I have wondered if there was a word for something that seemed bad but was actually good? 

Some people use the idiom of a 'blessing in disguise' - something that seems bad or unlucky at first, but results in something good happening later: Losing that job was a blessing in disguise really. 

But some idioms can be very bad if you DO them expecting to be immediately rewarded. A blessing in disguise can change into an actual curse if you arrogantly do it expecting to be rewarded. In this case it can be a situation of your pride before you fall.    

As far as I can tell no one person has all the answers. The only way we can get through it is when we work together. What unites us is much greater than what divides us. 

But the whole human race has to search through our past, present, and future together along the full spectrum of all our virtues:  love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. 

True respect is when true heroes reciprocate the heroic virtues of everyone around them with everyone around them while enhancing everyone around them -- we radiate an Aura of Positive Reciprocity.

The supernatural reciprocation of loving mirthful laughter between families creates a cloud of positive energy that unites us so faithfully that we can move entire mountain ranges together.

Many people do not realize when something is a sacred it is considered so holy is untouchable. Life is like a very fine balancing act between all the authentic virtues.

Many people say the Lord's prayer "...and lead us not into temptation." But deep down they don't actually believe God would actually tempt them. Perhaps a better word to use is 'test'. And God would most certainly test us as He sees fit, even leading us into temptation. I remember a time when I prayed this but I did not really believe God would really lead me into temptation.

Example 1: God tested Abraham in the positive sense and Abraham passed the test. When I say positive sense, God told Abraham literally what to do, “Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.” This would be filial fear.

Example 2: God tested Judas in the negative sense and Judas failed the test. God told Judas ambiguously what to. As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. So Jesus told him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.” If Judas had actually believed when he prayed "...and lead us not into temptation." the virtue fed to Judas would have been the humility of the Holy Spirit. Judas would have been gifted with discernment of the spirits. And Judas would NOT have betrayed our Lord.   

I suspect a big difference between Catholics and Protestants is that Protestants do not believe God would actually tempt them. Catholics know full well God can most certainly test us. The real challenge seems to be for us to have the humility to offer His test up to God.  

The answer to the conundrum is to Always Choose Life in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. These are the weapons we use in battle. Against such things there is no law. 

This is why Einstein loved the Catholic Church. In the end only the Catholic Church was left to fight the Nazis.

“Only the Catholic Church protested against the Hitlerian onslaught on liberty. Up till then I had not been interested in the Church, but today I feel a great admiration for the Church, which alone has had the courage to struggle for spiritual truth and moral liberty." -- Albert Einstein

Tesla once said, "If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world." Replace hatred with chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience, kindness, and humility and light up the world for our Lord. This is what authentic free energy is all about. 

"If your chastity could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."

"If your temperance could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."

"If your charity could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world." 

"If your diligence could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world." 

"If your patience could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world." 

"If your kindness could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world." 

"If your humility could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."

Self-centeredness is NOT "self-care". Promises are only as strong as the actions that follow them. 

Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary. -- Saint Francis of Assisi

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2024 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Dale, know your audience.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 February 2024 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That’s some seriously confused “history”!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |