Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Generations III Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Message
James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 16 March 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2441
Posted: 12 August 2026 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I did not realize there was a GENERATIONS III until I happen to see issue #7 in a mall newstand (yes, a newstand). From that point on, I purchased  the last 5 issues from a comics shop.

I went the Ebay route for the earlier issues.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Brad Wilders
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 15 December 2008
Posts: 191
Posted: 12 August 2026 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Generations and Elsewhen are among my two favorite superhero projects by JB both in terms of writing and art.  Perhaps not a surprise that both are "JB unchained" from DC/Marvels' then-current continuity.  
Back to Top profile | search
 
Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 01 May 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 17852
Posted: 12 August 2026 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB, did you use markers for some of the inking?
Back to Top profile | search | www
 
John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137194
Posted: 13 August 2026 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

As I recall, it was all brush.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 20 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 14958
Posted: 13 August 2026 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This remains my favorite JB drawing of Wonder Woman

Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137194
Posted: 13 August 2026 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

One of mine, too. The lush lines, I think.

But wassap with that bat-ear tangent?!?

Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8708
Posted: 13 August 2026 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I have to admit that when I first saw this cover, I assumed that it was a different woman than Diana in the role, because to me her face looked very different than the way you drew her just 5 years before. But it was just a change in style!
Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8708
Posted: 13 August 2026 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The thread gives me a chance to break this out:


I remember reading the comic and being struck by how nicely Scott Free's face was rendered in the second panel - it was quintissential Byrne to me.

Fast forward a year or so, and I'm at MOC 2004, looking through Jim Warden's catalog, and the same page was staring me in the face, priced for next to nothing. Even though I have no affinity towards these characters, I thought "Welp, guess this means I have to own it, then"*. Least it was easy to get it signed right away!

*I had the same reaction 20 years later with the Byrne/Baker AVENGERS ANNUAL page sitting in front of me - though that was decidedly NOT priced for next to nothing!




Edited by Vinny Valenti on 13 August 2026 at 3:18pm
Back to Top profile | search
 
Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 28 July 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 32281
Posted: 13 August 2026 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

*I had the same reaction 20 years later with the Byrne/Baker AVENGERS
ANNUAL page sitting in front of me - though that was decidedly NOT priced
for next to nothing!
****
Zounds!

One of my favorite panels ever.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8708
Posted: 13 August 2026 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I found out after the fact that that exact panel was used on Hercules' OHOTMU Deluxe entry - that made it even more special to me!
Back to Top profile | search
 
Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 28 July 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 32281
Posted: 13 August 2026 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Wine! Women! Games!
Back to Top profile | search
 
Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member


Joined: 07 January 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 4175
Posted: 13 August 2026 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I LOVED GEN3 -- there, I've said it! 

As a reader, it took a little bit of work, but to me, totally worth it. 

And I really liked the look of the art, the thicker, bolder lines. I thought it was excellent and it surprised me that DC never collected it. As a matter of fact, I was missing issue #4 for YEARS. 

GENERATIONS is your gift to comic book lovers. In some ways, it's your greatest work in its slyness and depth, it's humor and homage -- it works on so many levels. 

Am I done gushing yet?
Back to Top profile | search
 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |

Forum Jump

 Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login

You are currently viewing the MOBILE version of the site.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL SITE