Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Superman’s 75th and Me Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 1  

Thinking over this again, DC should be granted brownie points in having, at least, the sense to ask JB to contribute to Superman's 75th.

Granting that his run on the revamped Man of Steel was short (compared to the FF run), and the editorial road peppered with deceit and back-pedaling, John's Superman remains THE Superman for many fans who discovered the Last Son of Krypton during his tenure.

A 10-year old (say) coming across MOS in 1986 would be in his/her late 30's by now. About the right age to start waxing nostalgic about the comics of one's youth.

Speaking for myself, despite the scent-of-Reaganism, I would gladly have continued reading the adventures of Superman as minted by JB. To this day. Especially in light of Fourth World, Wonder Woman, Demon, and Doom Patrol.

For a while, JB joined Jack Kirby in his ability to render any (or almost any) character in the publisher's stable in a way that essentially true, and in  establishing a modern blueprint for others to follow.

Only other two guys I can think of that might have successfully attempted and what John did that are Perez and Simonson. They haven't so well never know. And bear in mind that Kirby's Spider-Man was so-so and Neal Adam's superheroes a little too grounded in reality.

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 11 May 2013 at 11:44am
Back to Top profile | search

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 2  

"The Ordway inks are definitely superior, from a technical standpoint. But they are no less disrespectful of the pencils."
John Byrne

"I get where you are coming from JB. I can't imagine the frustration an artist must feel when seeing the time and effort of full pencils go to waste."
Paul Greer
~~~~~~~~
That's why I prefer JB to be inked by people like Dan Adkins, Dan Green, or even Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez (his inks over JB's pencils in the NEW TEEN TITANS ANNUAL 1986 is the best I've seen), that is to respect the effort of full pencils.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

Jesus: Thinking over this again, DC should be granted brownie points in having, at least, the sense to ask JB to contribute to Superman's 75th.

---

It was neat when Byrne contributed to the wedding issue (although I was never a fan of the event). Seems DC does try to include Byrne when it comes to historical events. Byrne is a big part of the Man of Steel's history.

I think DC also asked Byrne to contribute on Flashpoint and Before Watchmen. They seem to knock on his door once in awhile. 

When was the last time Byrne worked with DC? The JLA Classified issues? I think that was in 2008...

Edited by Nathan Greno on 11 May 2013 at 12:03pm

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

Nathan, JLA Classified was JB's last published DC work. He has been with IDW for five years. Where does the time fly? 

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

Hey Jodi, Jason and I will be in Chicago for that con. Come on over to the convention thread if you want to come. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

For a while, JB joined Jack Kirby in his ability to render any (or almost any) character in the publisher's stable in a way that essentially true, and in establishing a modern blueprint for others to follow.

••

In what is perhaps the reverse of tooting my own horn, I do not approach any preexisting characters thinking Now I'll show the world how JOHN BYRNE does this! Whether it be the FF, the X-Men, the Hulk, or Superman, unless I am specifically instructed otherwise, I look first for the roots of the character. My oft used (and quoted) mantra has been "The guy(s) who created the character(s) probably got it right."

Does this mean slavish devotion to all that has gone before? Of course not. In fact ALL that has gone before is what usually requires some inspection and pruning. Superman, for example, had picked up a lot of barnacles. Barely recognizable as the character created by S&S.

Many Marvel characters had origins deeply bound to the Cold War mentality of the early Sixties, as well as Stan and Jack's somewhat liberal interpretations of science! Revisiting origins often necessitated finding more modern (and preferably timeless) ways to march the characters down the same road. (A few less Dirty Commies, a few less nuclear accidents!)

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 7  

Interesting to note that ACTION cover seen above. . .

. . . does not have the "fat" S emblem Neal usually draws.* I wonder if Murphy altered it in the inks?

________

* Not a pejorative. There are two principle styles for the S -- or used to be, before every artist got to do it HIS WAY -- which I have dubbed "fat" and "skinny". I prefer the skinny S, Neal prefers the fat.

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

Just keep working, JB. Maybe things will be different at DC by Superman's 100th birthday. Who knows? You might do that whole issue!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

Just keep working, JB. Maybe things will be different at DC by Superman's 100th birthday. Who knows? You might do that whole issue!

••

I only have to live to be 88 to get there.

Sorta planned on being long dead by then, but some anniversaries are worth hanging around for!

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'll stick around if you will.

Gregory Friedman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

All most all of those are cool variants; especially for long time Superman fans.   I'll have to wait a while so crazy ebay prices on those come down to sane levels to purchase most of them.

, despite the scent-of-Reaganism,

What scent of Reaginism?  I've heard this before about Byrne's run and I don't quite understand it.  JB is hardly a man of the right and there is nothing about his run that sticks out as political.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm all in for JB on the 100th Anniversary of Superman! Long gone by 88? No way. I'm all in for celebrating your 100th when it comes around as well. 

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |