Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Favorite Scenes Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 1  

The death of the X-Men in Days of Future Past. Even if it was in a distant (alternative?) future, it had quite the impact on me.

The whole Death of Guardian sequence, which is a masterpiece of comics narrative!

Dr. Doom's revelation in Terror in a Tiny Town.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 2  

I dug through the gallery and found the original Storm hair pin scene:

••

That's Chris' note at the right, referring to himself in the third person.

The point of the scene as written was that Storm was agonized by Nanny coming in and restoring the "hair pin" (actually a lock pick), sat for a moment to compose herself, then resolutely set about shaking the thing loose again.

Back to Top profile | search

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 3  

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

Another favorite sequence was Annihilus answering a telephone and taking a message for the Human Torch from Juliette D'Angelo. Hilarious!! 

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 5  

I just thought of the scene where Jean confronts Jason and drives him mad. Really powerful stuff.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 6  

Here's an issue that was clever... Fantastic Four #265.. illustrated by JB from the Trapster's perspective, through his eyes, and partly narrated by the Baxter Building itself; viewed through its built-in cameras. Of course, the villain thwarted by the building’s automated defenses... but it was a treat to see "the house that Reed built" from this perspective -

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

Couple of more pages from FF #265 -

-C!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

A story for which I actually received a fan letter from STAN LEE!

He called my tale "a little gem." Imagine hopping in my time machine to show that to my 13 year old self!!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

Very cool, JB.... praise from Stan and well-deserved. Aside from the Tapster's perspective, I also enjoyed the way you showed all the interior shots you could think of 'touring' the Baxter Building!

-C!

Phillip L Lightfoot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

Shooter's edicts are odd.  His changes actually make the Storm lock-pick sequence less clear.  I seem to recall CC having to put a thought balloon into the middle of the fight with Magneto just to explain how the X-Men got free.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

"The House That Reed Built," the sideways issue of FANTASTIC FOUR,  the "Snowblind" issue of ALPHA FLIGHT, and such are grateful examples of how creative and even experimental JB is, and I don't think he receives enough credit in the area of his experimentation. One of the many reasons JB is my favorite all-time artist.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

I had to think about this for a while, and try and detach myself from what would be my favourite pieces of art, as opposed to a complete scene.
My choices will probably seem a little bizarre, but in their own differing ways they each blew me away.
The first would be What The? Issue #2

I laughed long and hard at Dr Bloom trying to convince Rex Ruthless that Superbman was really Park Bench. Just the ever increasing exasperated levels of proof that Bloom was bringing up including wheeling in the Smallville parants who happily went along with it. Sheer Genius!

The next would be another Marvel DC crossover, Batman/Captain America.

As a kid I had always thrilled at the thought of those two clashing, as they always seemed like the best of the best from their respective worlds. And this lived up to my expectations. I had so much glee at the thought they would be trying so many different fighting styles on each other that ultimately they would end up recognising who each other was, because quite simply nobody else could do it better!

And finally, this moment from Fantastic Four Issue #288.

Obviously Secret Wars I & II were very flawed stories, and all the editorial interference that had writers scrambling to make the continuity work must have been a nightmare at the time. However I just love Reed standing up to the Beyonder, the all powerful being, and essentially saying, "No, wait a minute. There's something that even you can't have your way with!" It feels like a real James T Kirk moment from Classic Star Trek of the mortal man challenging the god like being, and triumphing through their smarts and passion for a good argument. And Reed's voice feels so on point, as befits the smartest Superhero around. Made me want to punch the air in delight!

I could have quite easily chosen a lot more, for very differing reasons, but those three were unforgettable for me.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |