Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Favorite Scenes Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

... I knew my work would never have the power of Kirby, or the quirkiness of Ditko, or the anatomical precision of Gil Kane, or the sheer magnificence of Kubert, so I decided -- counterintuitively -- to go the other was. To go for that thing that is so difficult to pull off in comics: subtlety. 

It's great seeing an artist with humility, but I have to disagree with you  (with all respect). Sure you nailed down the subtlety, and maybe your art isn't as quirky as Ditko's later style (it could have been had you wanted too), but I absolutely think you captured the power,  anatomical precision, and sheer magnificence.

In fact I think that's why your art stands out - you had the right balance of all those styles.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

Regarding the Avengers panel above; my 13yo reaction was the same as Wasp's that she had made the cut, stunned!
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

This from FF #242 is the one that unexpectedly sprang to mind:

The whole issue (and mini-arc) is a fave, of course, but what I like about this particular scene is the sense of fun, Ben using his great strength in a way that's kind of easy to relate to real life and that good old trope of the thugs getting their comeuppance when they pick on the wrong person. This was one of the first issues from JB's run I picked up and I also liked how there was a sense of the heroes being up to their own individual, special adventures in their own title -- Ben didn't look like the Thing I knew and I didn't know the story behind it. But I knew there was some kind of story behind it and it was fun to be involved.

On to #2 and it's one that's already been mentioned up-thread. It's from FF #285 and it's the panels juxtaposing the mention of the fuel turning poor Tommy into the Torch, and then Tommy's silhouette next to the fuel can. The reader is forced into adding 2 and 2 together together and coming up with the horrible outcome.

And my final one. I'm going to go with Alpha Flight #19.

I post the page above, but really it's the whole business of going back in time to find out what brought Ranaq back in the present, the wild west setting crossed with conjuring up one of the Great Beasts and then the inability to meddle with what has always been.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks for posting the scene with Storm and the hairpin Dusty. I think it might be my n°1 as well. I remember spending hours looking at it and reveling in the horror and tension.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 5  

...Storm and the hairpin...

•••

Ah, if only you could have seen that scene as Chris and I created it, before Shooter "fixed" it.

On the topic of the Great Beasts, btw, you're mostly aware that I made all that stuff up, yes? There are no Inuit legends of such creatures, but I sure had fun writing like there were!

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 6  

The Thing meeting his earlier self in Marvel Two In One #50. Great story but that page where they first meet each other blew me away when I first saw it. I loved how the "lumpy" Thing was colored, a different shade of orange and the brown trunks. It looked cool.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

MTIO #50 is such a great comic. So much fun.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

Up to that point during the 70's, many of the FF origin flashback scenes had the Thing looking like a teddy bear.

The only time that I remember someone other than JB drawing him with the dinosaur hide was Sal Buscema in FF190.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

On the topic of the Great Beasts, btw, you're mostly aware that I made all that stuff up, yes? There are no Inuit legends of such creatures, but I sure had fun writing like there were!
-----------------------------------------
At the time I originally read the Alpha Flight stories, I thought maybe you were using extant legends and myths. I learnt with interest from you on this forum (a few years back now) that you just made it all up -- you did a great job with it! Alpha Flight had its own vibe and identity and a large part of that was the magical stratum involving Snowbird's mission, Shaman and the Great Beasts. Pretty nifty how you wove Sasquatch into it as well -- poor Walter!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 10  

X-Men #132: The pages where Cyclops follows Jean and Wyndgarde up the stairs in the Hellfire Club to be confronted at the top of the stairs by Mastermind and the Black Queen. It's such a well-paced snap of a mousetrap that had been winding for months.

Fantastic Four #250: The opening where Spider-Man comes across Reed strewn over New York, and Reed relates the story of Gladiator's attack. I read and re-read that issue for years before discovering it was the second part of a story. The recap is so well-integrated it never occurred to me.

Generations 3: I don't have the comics with me, so I can't look up the issue number, but it's a one or two page sequence of the Supergirls flying through space. It's a moment of pure joy. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 11  

Fantastic Four #250: The opening where Spider-Man comes across Reed strewn over New York, and Reed relates the story of Gladiator's attack. I read and re-read that issue for years before discovering it was the second part of a story. The recap is so well-integrated it never occurred to me.

••

I had a similar reaction when I read the second issue of THE NEW GODS by Kirby. I'd missed the first. The issue worked so well as an introduction, I could not imagine what went in front of it!

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

I dug through the gallery and found the original Storm hair pin scene:

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |