Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Favorite Scenes (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 1  

FF #247 - What a awesome 2-page splash!! Really nice set up to an interesting story explaining the nature of
Doom’s monarchy of Latveria and how he gets the FF to help him defeat his rival Prince Zorba.

Iron Fist #12 - Iron Fist comes face to face with the living legend Captain America.
Great sequence where Danny leaps down the stairs to save Jarvis.

X-Men: Hidden Years #7 - Really hard to pick here but I just LOVED the composition used here and the artwork was amazing.
Enjoyed how you fit Ororo into this timeframe. Better than your old stuff! ;)

-C!
SaveSave
SaveSaveSave

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 12 May 2017 at 11:32am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

"I turned in that WONDER WOMAN cover saying 'Here's another one we won't be able to sell in Germany!'"

Q4JB or anyone who knows:
Were alternate covers available for markets that found the image objectionable?  Or did those issues just get skipped altogether in those markets?
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

Superman & Batman: Generations - The death of Superwoman (Kara Kent) at the hands of her own brother Joel Kent!!! 

--------------

This was on my short list.  Even on re-reads it hit me pretty hard.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

Charles - That page from Avengers #165 was on m list as well. I just was waiting to see if another scene would come up to take it's place as my third pic. So far, nothing just yet.

That whole Perez/Byrne run of Avengers is my favorite run in all of comics - hands down. Perfection!

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 12 May 2017 at 2:37pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thomas Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

So many moments from such an amazing body of work but three that pretty much immediately sprang to mind for personal reasons are:

1 - Marvel Team-Up #79 - the issue is cover dated March 1979 and so I must have got it early that year. It was one of the first (if not THE first) American comic I'd bought off the shelf. I'd have been 12 years old and I loved the story and was blown away by the art. The arrival of Red Sonja just stuck in my memory...

2 - Avengers #165 - April 1980 and The Avengers strip was being reprinted in a UK magazine called 'Marvel Superheroes'. I'd only recently got into reading superhero comics and was quickly getting up to speed on who was who character wise and, by trying out lots of different comics, which stories and art I liked - though I still wasn't putting writer/artists names to the issues just yet. But this run of The Avengers I was really enjoying, and in particular the Nefaria story and the art was great.
Count Nefaria had beaten The Avengers - twice- and then Thor shows up. The final page just cried out ... FIGHT!! It was an interminable wait until the following month's issue.

3 - X-Men #111 - November 1980 and the All New X-Men strips were being reprinted in a UK magazine called Rampage Magazine and I loved them. Then the art style changed and I loved them even more. I started to put writers and artists names to the stories and my favourite was a guy called John Byrne doing these X-Men tales. Getting to know more and more about the characters I'd figured Magneto was a major villain so when he appeared at the end of #111 - a story I was already enjoying - my jaw hit the floor. The image just exudes power and again the wait until the following month's issue and what promised to be a classic confrontation seemed to go on for ages. My 14 year old self couldn't get enough and I've been a fan of Mr. Byrne's work ever since.

Oh, and it was a few months later, re-reading my comics, that the penny finally dropped - with a loud clang - that those earlier stories with the art I really liked were by the same Mr. Byrne who was doing the X-Men. I've made sure I've checked the credits ever since.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

That Thor/Nefaria page was completely redrawn by Dave Cockrum.

Thomas Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

Really?!  Sorry I didn't know that.

It is a while since I've read those issues - they made an impact on me though as I still remember them to this day. Must dig them out and give them a re-read.

Was there a lot of redrawing of panels/pages?
I'm intrigued now as to why and when such things were needed and how the editorial team went about it.
Did they try and get the original artist to do it if they were available or did they just just get whichever artist was free to do it?

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

1) The fight scene between Snowbird and Kolomaq. Just seeing how much storytelling could be accomplished with just panel borders and lettering/ sound effects blew my mind. 

2) Thor testifying at Namor's trial. I don't know why, but the zipatone (sorry if I'm getting the name wrong) just finally clicked for me with the picture of Thor's face while he testified. It gave me a renewed appreciation for that period of your art. Plus, it was a really good portrayal of Thor's level of respect for man's justice system. 

3) The reveal of what the alien bride that the Super Skrull had arranged for the human he was working with in Namor looked like. It was just such a perfect ending to that tale. 

I know you get a lot of "your old stuff was better," but I don't believe that. I think the reason these are all from so long ago has more to do with it being easier to make an impression on a younger person than someone who's seen a lot more scenes in the interim. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

Little things:

Marvel Team-Up (I don't know the number) Spider-Man, Hulk, and Woodgod. My first JB comic. Two scenes I would stare at over and over: Spidey dodging laser blasts that cross between his legs. The Hulk stopping his fall by tearing the sides of a missile silo.

Another little one: Reed and Ben are fighting HERBIE, and Reed shoots a cable at Ben to keep him from falling into the Negative Zone. I loved how the cable splayed out!

Finally, the multiple-image of Nightcrawler dodging Wendigo!

Just art that fascinated me, and I still get a kick out of today!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

Was there a lot of redrawing of panels/pages?

••

Increasingly so, over the Shooter years.

There's a mind boggling story that came out of an editorial meeting, back in the day, but unfortunately it was Mark Gruenwald who told it to me, and without Mark to back it up, it can't really be repeated.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 11  

Was just listening to an interview with Steve Englehart where some re-drawing of his last FF issue was done to deliberately attack him/his family. 

If true, what a spiteful, bitchy, unpleasant place Marvel was at times. 

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 12  

Avengers 181: " Unfortunately I mentioned this to Shooter, and the next thing I knew he'd gotten George to recreate the scene for the cover. This created in the minds of many fans the same question you just asked."

JB was it just a coincidence that Black Panther was sitting in the chair that both you and George drew. Having both yourself and George doing the same scene in 1 issue was a fan's dream .

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version