Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Favorite Scenes Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2017 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 1  

Iron Fist #12 - Captain America comes across Iron Fist with an unconscious Jarvis.

Fantastic Four #236 - Doctor Doom towering over "Tiny Town"

Marvel Team-Up #55 - An over-sized Adam Warlock encounters therocket which Spider-Man is on.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

Here are three that come to mind.

(Had to split the She-Hulk scene in two to make it uploadable)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 3  

1)FF #269 - A triumphant Reed Richards being informed that Sue had miscarried. That broke my heart. This was homaged by Mike Allred in this week's Silver Surfer.

2)X-Men #132 - Wolverine in the sewer. That blew my then 8 year-old mind!

3) Superman #9 - Metropolis 900 Miles. Just a brilliant character piece.
Back to Top profile | search

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 4  

I'm a little busy today, but I can't help but mention a favourite scene of mine.
Man of Steel #2
When Superman is flying carrying Lois. She is suprised that he knows where she lives, and he answers something like "I know where everybody lives".
Is it true? Then it is really awsome. But hey, he's Superman.
Or is it a fluff? Maybe he didn't want to admit that he was interesded in her.
I loved the ambiguity.

Edited by Sergio Saavedra on 12 May 2017 at 5:06am

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 5  

Noah -- those are awesome.

I remember going back to that She-Hulk double page spread over and over to read all of the gags in the comic book descriptions.  (My favorite was the Iron Man theme song sunf to the tune of the Spider-Man animated theme song!)

I'm trying to remember if the figure in the barn in the Man of Steel last full page shot was ever explicitly identified.  I think it was Metallo's creator but have another feeling it was Lana.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 6  

...I think it was Metallo's creator...

••

Yup.

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 7  

Again, having difficulty with this one.  I'm keeping my first selection and adding two more that I really liked.  Favorite?  Certainly recent favorites and since I'm having trouble with "of all time" I may as well go with them.

The scene in Doomsday.1 #4 where the priest goes to meet with the outsiders and how that is resolved is a favorite.

The reveal at the end of High Ways #2 was excellent.  Unexpected and well paced and made me think, "Oh, f..."

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 8  

1)FF #269 - A triumphant Reed Richards being informed that Sue had miscarried. That broke my heart. This was homaged by Mike Allred in this week's Silver Surfer.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
Oh really? I will have to try and see that.

Roberto Melendrez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 9  

The end of the Lex Luthor short story Metropolis 900 Miles. Af that moment I realized that Luthor isn't just a threat to Superman. Luthor is a threat to everybody.  He quite literally gets a kick from psychologically tormenting others. He doesn't just think he's better than the rest of us. He acts on it!  One of the themes of JB's Luthor is that his hubris is what ultimately keeps him from defeating Superman. This story neatly supports my 2nd favorite Byrne scene. 

Luthor's hubris is in full effect.  He is so profoundly flawed that he can't possibly accept that Superman relates to humanity - because Luthor can't relate to humanity!  He is the stumbling block to his own success.  Luthor will never beat Superman because he is so arrogant that he will always screw it up for himself.  Superman is no slouch in the brains department either of course but Byrne's Luthor is ruthless enough to beat him if only his arrogance didn't get in the way.

My 3rd favorite is this cover.  JB cleverly figured out a way for Wonder Woman to serve in the JSA during WW II and I loved it! So simple and so much fun! Seeing everyone on the cover smiling as they rush towards adventure reminded me of the rush I got as a little kid when I read the  Wally Wood illustrated issue of All-Star where the Golden Age Superman rejoined the JSA. Absolutely brilliant! 

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 10  

I can't even begin to try doing this but I enjoy the replies so far !

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 11  

I turned in that WONDER WOMAN cover saying "Here's another one we won't be able to sell in Germany!"

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 12  

Already a lot of my favorite scenes discussed here but thought I could still add a few gems....

Superman & Batman: Generations - The death of Superwoman (Kara Kent) at the hands of her own brother Joel Kent!!! AMAZING spin as we never saw THAT coming! Enjoyed JB’s storytelling throughout this tragic chapter in the life of Superman. Luthor is pretty villainous in this one!!

Marvel Team-Up #59 - Yellowjacket and the Wasp team up with Spidey… I remember actually CARING for Hank and Jan for the first time when I read this… and the explosion cliffhanger at the end was perfection. JB, your sense of dramatic shots was impressive to my young eyes!!

Avengers #165 - Perhaps one of the few Avengers issues I can’t help looking at when I want to see a pure slugfest featuring my favorite team line-up. Wonder Man vs. against Count Nefaria especially won me over... and once more JB showed off his flare for dynamic action sequences!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |