Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Captain Marvel two people or one? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yes, you're right. 

If I were a professional, I'd tire very quickly of questions about page rates or what a comic is worth.
Back to Top profile | search

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB: Then there were questions about sales, sell-thru, page rates. Was I "jealous" that Todd McFarlane made more than me?

This makes me wonder how many of those people were/are actually frustrated fans-turned-pros. (I guess one might also ask out of plain curiosity, although I was taught that it's bad manners to ask how much money a person makes.)

Edited by Ted Downum on 27 November 2017 at 11:44am

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This makes me wonder how many of those people were/are actually frustrated fans-turned-pros.

••

Such people have been part of the audience since the early days, but they have increased in number, at least on a percentage basis, since the marketplace started collapsing.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

One of my least favorite things about some fans is when they seek out one or two instance of a character's powers being used incorrectly to "prove" that's how the powers actually work.

And some of those fans become pros and they incorporate those same mistakes into the comics they are working on. Then there are those fans and fans turn pro who completely misread a story where a characters powers work a particular way once because of a mcguffin and then make that one time only situation something that said character's powers are capable of doing. This is what happened with Wolverine quickly regenerating after having all of his flesh burned off of his body by the villain Nitro because the writer read and misunderstood an old X-Men story where a powerful magic/cosmic crystal enabled Wolverine to completely regenerated from a single drop of blood.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The steep increase in Wolverine's ability to heal himself is a manifestation of an all-too-typical function. It occurs the longer characters are around. Superman learns to fly, for instance. Super strong characters get stronger and stronger. Fast characters get faster and faster. Etc.

Even Mr. Spock quickly became Super-Spock.

Some of it is fogetfulness. Laziness. But some comes from writers wanting "their" characters to be top of the pyramid.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The increase in "fans-turned-pros" and their growing misrepresentation of my favorite characters (Captain Marvel would be on that list.) turned me off to comics. It became harder for me to condone "artistic liberties" from some ideas that came from selfish concepts that didn't serve the character.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If I had to explain Cyclops starting fires (I do not believe he has heat vision) I'd simply say that his amazing ability to hit targets allowed him to figure out how to use his force beam (in rare instances) to create friction. Make it tough to do and something he doesn't bother with and never look back.

Edited by Richard Stevens on 27 November 2017 at 4:50pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I encountered Rick Jones and Mar-Vell before I ever saw the Fawcett character, and to my shame I'm just now wondering if the Nega-band swap between Jones and Mar-Vell was a reference to the Batson/Captain Marvel relationship.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Craig Bogart: "...and to my shame I'm just now wondering if the Nega-band swap between Jones and Mar-Vell was a reference to the Batson/Captain Marvel relationship."

Huh. I never thought of that, either (although, for me, the Fawcett character came well before the Marvel character).

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The nega-band swap was a conscious and deliberate reference back to the original character by Golden Age fan Roy Thomas, as were Mar-Vell's encounters with Savannah (Sivana) and Dr. Mynde (Mr. Mind).

Thanks to everyone for the kind words on the previous page. My computer has sadly gone the way of all flesh (flash?), so I'm on a borrowed machine this evening and may be offline for a while. I'll try to check in from work and other places when I can, but that's likely to be hit and miss. Best wishes to everyone here and I hope to be back on a regular basis soon. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 27 November 2017 at 8:13pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If I had to explain Cyclops starting fires (I do not believe he has heat vision) I'd simply say that his amazing ability to hit targets allowed him to figure out how to use his force beam (in rare instances) to create friction. Make it tough to do and something he doesn't bother with and never look back.

•••

Time upon a once, that might have won you a No-Prize (something else that got screwed up over time).

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 11:59pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The increase in "fans-turned-pros" and their growing misrepresentation of my favorite characters (Captain Marvel would be on that list.) turned me off to comics. It became harder for me to condone "artistic liberties" from some ideas that came from selfish concepts that didn't serve the character.
++++++++

The hilarious absurdity of it all is that these creators go to great lengths to say, "Look at me! Look at me! I'm doing Important Work, and telling the sorts of stories we've always wanted to see!", but the general public doesn't know or care about them.

Pretty much the entire planet knows and/or cares about characters like Wolverine, Captain America and Iron Man, at this point. Ask an average citizen to name a comic book industry professional, and you might get names like Stan Lee or Bob Kane. Kirby, if you're lucky. That's about it. No Grant Morrison or Bendis or Alan Moore or Jim Lee or Rob Liefeld.

The civilians know and care about the characters (mostly via the movies, at least), which is how it should be. So, representing the characters properly should be of utmost importance. 

Having an interest in how the books are put together and by whom can be very enlightening, but I think that the fundamental core of anyone who's into comics should be a love of the characters and the medium. That's certainly what I care about. 

I don't see myself ever "growing up" because I love the characters and the medium too darn much. And there's still a lifetime of stuff to explore that I haven't even gotten to. So much history,,and so many great stories by great creators. I have no need for modern comics. Why bother, when there are decades' worth of amazing back issues to dive into?

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |