Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Doug Jones in an Upset!!!!! Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If it's not one thing, it's another.  Supposedly, the GOP wants to slow the transition.  FYI, in the link, if you want to get involved, and more info after the link -

"Last night, the people of Alabama rejected the politics of bigotry and hate and elected a progressive Democrat to the U.S. Senate. It was an historic night and a powerful reminder that Democrats can win anywhere in 2018.

But before we can take a break and celebrate our victory, we have a problem: Republican leaders are planning to wait until January to seat Doug Jones — after we vote again on their tax plan.

This is an outrage. Doug opposes this plan to give massive tax breaks to the top 1% and strip health care from millions of Americans. He should get to vote on it.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said just a few weeks ago that we should “let the people of Alabama make the call” in this race. Well, they did — now Republicans need to give that will a voice in the Senate.

So much is at stake in Washington right now — from the tax bill, to net neutrality, to the urgent issue Doug mentioned in his victory speech: the ongoing fight to save health care for nine million lower-income kids.

There is no reason other than craven political opportunism to delay seating Doug and that’s why we need to put pressure on the Republicans today before they get away with this:

Last night was a tremendous victory in the fight for the best of who we are as a country and if we continue to do the hard work over the next year, I believe next holiday season we'll be celebrating a Democratic and progressive Congress.

Thanks for all you do."

Kamala Harris
U.S. Senate, California

Edited by Eric Russ on 13 December 2017 at 3:57pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Steven Myers wrote:
A victory for Country over Party! I'm proud of Alabama for voting for the best PERSON, not the political subdivision they like best. 

Very well-said -- my sentiments exactly!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
There is no reason other than craven political opportunism to delay seating Doug and that’s why we need to put pressure on the Republicans today before they get away with this:

I see Kamala Harris has started an internet petition to get Jones seated more quickly.  Yeah, that ought to work.

I know she means well, but it's silly to talk about "putting pressure" on the Republicans.  There is literally nothing she or anyone can do to force the Republican Senate leadership to seat Jones before January 3rd.  They don't want to do it.  They aren't going to do it.  They could care less about public pressure regarding something like this.  They aren't going to do anything that will in any way increase the chances that their tax cut for the rich will be stopped. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

To be honest I'm at least somewhat annoyed that Jones won by so little. Moore is a pedophile. And yet apparently lots of "conservatives" will vote for anyone as long as they run as a Republican.

Imagine the fire and brimstone that would've emerged if there had been news that Jones was the pedophile, not Moore. 

Partisan hacks, they are many.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Moore has not yet been convicted of any crime, and he has enough Republican supporters who will grasp at even that straw.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It shouldn't have taken evidence of pedophilia to disqualify Moore, either. He disqualified himself through his abusive treatment of women, gays and minorities who had the misfortune to land in his courtroom, not to mention poor whites. He took a secret six figure salary from a nonprofit whose primary measurable outcome is to pay six figure salaries to Moore, his wife, and his son. He was twice removed from office. Now he's going to spend his hopefully brief eventide years raking in a fortune from selling gold coins and reverse mortgages to impressionable senior citizens and basking in the adulation of the squalid religious right. He'll probably become a radio insult comic, like most legal scholars of his reptilian ilk.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Adam Schulman wrote:
To be honest I'm at least somewhat annoyed that Jones won by so little. Moore is a pedophile. And yet apparently lots of "conservatives" will vote for anyone as long as they run as a Republican.

In a state that hasn't elected a Democrat to the Senate in a quarter century, it doesn't surprise me at all that this wasn't a landslide.  Neither am I annoyed.  Baby steps. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If Moore had been elected, it would have been entertaining to see how fast he got kicked out of office. Congress had already said as much.

Speaking of evil, hate-filled douchebags...

Remember Kim Davis, the clerk in Kentucky who got in trouble for refusing to issue licenses for gay marriage, due to her religious beliefs? Then got in trouble again for telling her assistants not to sign them either?

Well, someone's running against her, and she had to watch them sign the papers to do so, and file them.

It's one of the gay men she refused to issue a license.

Now, I'm under no allusions she probably won't get re-elected, but it's still funny that someone she pissed off is going for her job. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine. Moore is not a pedophile. A pedophile is attracted to prepubescent children. There is zero evidence that this was the case. It is a very dangerous word and it should be used properly. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's a ridiculous peeve, Neil, and corrosive moral hair-splitting. There's nothing dangerous about refusing to distinguish the immorality of a 30 year old man who sexually assaults a 14 year old girl from the immorality of a 30 year old man who sexually assaults a 12 year old girl.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Adam wrote:
To be honest I'm at least somewhat annoyed that Jones won by so little. Moore is a pedophile. And yet apparently lots of "conservatives" will vote for anyone as long as they run as a Republican.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the wicked that they were pious.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Neil, you are correct by strict definition. But here in the United States - in a country where 24 or so percent actually VOTED FOR DONALD TRUMP - it's very hard for us to use exactly correct vocabulary. People here understand the sense of the word pedophile, even if it is the wrong one. And their vocabularies are pretty damned limited.

And I'm not sure what the right word would be. Google tells me hebephile applies to attraction to 11 - 14 year olds, and ephebophile is 15 - 19 year olds. All are heinous, but I doubt if one person in a thousand would know what those words mean.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |