Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Unsalvageable heroes Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ed Love wrote:
As conceptualized, the Atom or Man-Thing might be limiting for ongoing monthly stories.

I agree about Man-Thing, but I always thought miniature/shrinking characters had virtually unlimited tales to tell. 

Just my view, of course, but if I look around my apartment, communal garden, street, city, etc., I see many hazards and challenges for a tiny character, whether it be trapping them in a park pond to face fish or being stuck in a washing machine. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Julie Schwartz once said that after they'd done the first six issues of THE ATOM they realized all the stories were told.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Making Man-Thing furry, sentient and communicative
misses the point. Why didn't Stine create another
character?

It was mind blowing to me. He must have not known
anything about the character and they just let him make
up whatever he wanted. I kept thinking there was going
to be some alternate reality explanation or
something....nope.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's weird to me that when I was younger Cyclops would always be one of my favorite characters and my friends would mock me for it.

Everybody liked the "cool" ones. Logan, Gambit or even Bishop (ok, I loved Cable!).

Then after I stopped collecting, a friend told me what had happened to Cyclops and how he was pretty much a villain those days.

So glad I stopped. Still love the character for what I remember him to be.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

When I was young, Cyclops WAS the cool X-Man! See how much damage can be done by a character being poorly handled!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Of the original X-Men, I've often considered which ones could or couldn't support a solo feature.

Two keep coming to mind that wouldn't make it without some substantial changes. I don't think that Angel or Professor X would be very good on their own.

That doesn't mean that a solo feature wouldn't work with a feature about a man whose powers are flying and some vague bird-ish traits, or a telepath... or even a man in a wheelchair.

But Charles Xavier just seems to work only in a team setting - which isn't a bad thing.

Similarly, I don't think the Angel is a good solo character. We all know characters whose only power is flight (winged or not) who can hold a feature... but I don't think that Warren Worthington III is one of those. There are very defined aspects to his character, but I'm not sure they all add up to a regular strip holding a lot of attention... unless, of course, his character was radically modified. Archangel might be a good book.

Also, I noticed something at 90s Marvel (and DC to a lesser degree) that I saw in late 60s DC comics. Characters of every name, type, power, smell, etc. got either their own ongoing or limited series. A metric crap-ton of X-Men, supporting characters, villains, etc.

I think about series like "The Creeper", "Hawk and the Dove", "Metamorpho", "Secret Six", etc. that DC put out for public consumption. This big difference is that a lot (not all, granted) got a tryout in one of DCs two "audition" books - Showcase or Brave and the Bold. Marvel had a lot of "feature" books that were like this, but I don't remember a lot of those post-speculator-boom Marvel titles that had try outs... it seemed like the House of Idea just flung #1s at the wall to see what would stick. So I guess the "unsalvagable" idea is a little different for a publisher...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2018 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Julie Schwartz once said that after they'd done the first six issues of THE ATOM they realized all the stories were told.

I would always defer to talented writers where possible. I just feel there are many opportunities for small characters. Almost every household item I can think of can be a death-trap for the likes of the Atom (toasters, vacuum cleaners). There's the pet cat, too. And a small communal garden like the one outside my apartment block is a "jungle" to the likes of the Atom. 

But I don't, of course, have experience of writing superhero characters so could be wrong. 

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2018 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Similarly, I don't think the Angel is a good solo character.

Gambit's maybe had four years' worth of comics spread out over a few different series, and Deadpool and Cable were in the right place at the right time, but the founding X-Men and the All-New, All-Different X-Men (apart from Wolverine, obviously) haven't had much luck as solo characters.

That being said, I could see Angel as a solo character easily enough. He's a founding member of the X-Men, he's a billionaire playboy, his family has connections to the Hellfire Club...there's a lot to work with there. Build up a supporting cast at his corporate headquarters or have him start up a non-profit that helps new mutants and you don't have to make his wings "carry" the whole book.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2018 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

We should do the same thread with vilains.
Look what they did to Magneto!

I must say that Cyclops was my favorite hero too as soon as I read my first X-Men book.

Then he married his lost love clone...

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2018 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I must say that Cyclops was my favorite hero too as soon as I read my first X-Men book.

Then he married his lost love clone...

••

There are advantages to being an old geezer like me! My first X-Men comic was the first issue, back in the Sixties. I had years of the real, unmucked Cyclops (even if the stories themselves were sometimes less than stellar).

When he really started to slide off the tracks, I think, was when Shooter insisted the character be drawn big and beefy, so he would "look like a hero!" (Ironically, this was all turned around by the time X-FACTOR came along, and Shooter decided "Slim" Summers was the way to go!)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2018 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Andrew F., I considered all the factors about Angel that you presented, and I just couldn't see stories that would be interesting enough to maintain a readership. Again... that's as he started (or, let's say, as of GSXM #1. Change him around, and sure - the whole (anti-)point of this post is about characters being interesting with modifications.

That being said... I'm not a comic writer. Messrs. Byrne, Simonson, Stern, Waid, etc. could likely make a very tasty pie out of Warren and his adventures.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2018 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Reminder: No quotes from Wikipedia. No exceptions.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |