Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 03 - Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Bearmingum"  hahahahahahahaha

I forgot..you are a Midlander yourself

I have to avoid contact with the natives in Birmingham otherwise my accent slowly "declines"

(apologies for the thread drift....he started it!)
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That last panel should be made into billboards and posted around the hometown of every new guy assigned to draw the X-Men. Hope that was a "damn I'm good" moment for you, JB, because those faces are PERFECT!

••

I was having some work done on the exterior of my house last week, and the guy in charge mentioned that his son, working with him, was a comic fan. The son was 20-something, and I invited him in for a Studio tour. He commented that his favorite artists were Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee, and when I showed him the ELSEWHEN pages in progress on the drawing board, he asked why I had drawn Cyclops "like that."

See, this is what triggers my deepest, darkest depressions. Everything I think has gone wrong with comics, and Marvel in particular, is, to a couple of "generations" now, the way the comics and characters are supposed to be.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The only change I wasn’t keen on was to Cyclop’s visor, the slimmed down Cockrum version to me is quintessential John Byrne.

••

I would not have said I "slimmed down" Dave's version. Looking at the old stuff, if anything I'd day I made the visor bulkier. Unconsciously. Like Storm's Tastee Freeze hair, or Colossus' belt buckle.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have to avoid contact with the natives in Birmingham otherwise my accent slowly "declines"

••

There's a funny old joke that perfectly illustrates the Birmingham accent. Unfortunately, it only works vocally. Written down, the punchline is lost.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

That pose and angle of Cyclops in the next to last panel is wonderful. 

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

See, this is what triggers my deepest, darkest depressions. Everything I think has gone wrong with comics, and Marvel in particular, is, to a couple of "generations" now, the way the comics and characters are supposed to be.

Whole bunch of people think the earth is flat or that vaccines create autism. Doesn't make them right. At least now the kid has had the seed planted that maybe, just maybe, others have gotten it wrong.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Whole bunch of people think the earth is flat or that vaccines create autism.

••

That deeply depresses me, too.

As our own Paul Gibney has often said, it's a pity stupidity isn't painful.

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And we've mentioned here already how his healing power became godlike.
-----------

Yes, the was some point where it was stated he could (given even power) come back from a drop of blood... Which is just too over the top...

What was the original intent -that he was tough and just healed a lot faster than everyone else (not necessarily a mutant power)?  Just curious...

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I saw the healing factor AS the mutant power. It made him super tough, but not indestructible. And it allowed the Canadian government to perform surgical procedures that would surely have killed anyone else.*

(While I was still on the book, Shooter's Whim of Iron declared that Wolverine could not have an adamantium skeleton, since that would mean he had no marrow to produce white blood cells. I said the healing factor meant he didn't NEED white blood cells, and went on with business as usual. After I left, tho, Shooter must have increased pressure on Chris, as he started that nonsense about Logan's bones being "laced" with adamantium, which was ridiculous based on what we'd seen.)

* Maybe it WOULD have been easier if Wolverine had remained the eighteen year old with telescoping claws in his gloves. The character Len Wein created,

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I really enjoy seeing Xavier interact with the team in this
way. Cyclops is basically the field officer, but they
follow Xavier when he is there.

I think I bring a lot of expectation baggage to these
stories, and seeing the dynamic between Xavier and the team
exceeds those expectations. Some amazing character moments
here.

And of course, I dig the action! Come for the destruction,
stay for the character moments. :-)

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Loved these last few pages, got a real sense that I'd just read an actual story, albeit a brief one. Beautiful art in those pages too. Loved Xavier's face dominating the page, loved the top-down shot of the room etc.

Sebastien Herve
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was having some work done on the exterior of my house last week, and the guy in charge mentioned that his son, working with him, was a comic fan. The son was 20-something, and I invited him in for a Studio tour. He commented that his favorite artists were Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee, and when I showed him the ELSEWHEN pages in progress on the drawing board, he asked why I had drawn Cyclops "like that."

This boy was so lucky and dumb at the same time !

Episode 3 is absolutely fabulous. A masterpiece !

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |