Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.16--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If it hadn't been for the Kitty character I would've stopped buying X-Men long before I did, there were some cool additions like Lockheed the little dragon (at least how Paul Smith drew him, later he was made more cartoonish), but it was the new kid with a group of experienced superheroes, and the Colossus crush, that kept me around. I tried to get into the Rachel storyline, her and Kitty (and Ilyana) seemed to bounce between the two titles, and I did like the most of the New Mutants and followed them for the first couple of years anyway (Sam, Dani and Roberto were the strongest personalities), but it's hard to imagine the stories post #143 holding my interest with no Kitty there, and the best like #151-152 and #168, focused on her.

I've said before how too many things go dumped onto Kitty who was fine as she was to me, things that made her less relatable... the genius IQ thing being more than the 'gifted' pretext for her parents it was meant to be, then the awful ninja cliche stuff, finally an agent of Shield. I like this Kitty before those attachments much more missing only the dragon.

Off topic: I started to wonder awhile ago why more super folks don't have pets? I guess it could be because they don't know if they will be around from one day to another to take care of one, but it would be nice to see say Storm having some birds maybe, or Colossus a dog (and would it get along with Rahne of the New Mutants?). I thought Lockheed added a lot to the comic while I still read it, pretty much the ultimate dream fantasy 'pet' for most readers I think!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 19 October 2020 at 1:48pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Rebecca wrote:

I thought Lockheed added a lot to the comic while I still read it, pretty much the ultimate dream fantasy 'pet' for most readers I think!

Not a fish? Fish are fun.

Really.
Back to Top profile | search

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This Kitty does feel a lot more like a 13 year old than the one in the 'real' title did in the post-Byrne era - at least after the loud disco based outfit was rightfully gone.  I have 4 daughters so I have a pretty good idea on how 13 year old girls act (3 down, 1 to go).  They know everything and are always overcompensating to show they know it all.  But a firm word from an authority figure and boom back in line for a few minutes, then back to the usual.  Sigh.  Fun read though - wondering if Prof X is ready to stop her quickly here after last time.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So much going on!
It is great though.

Side question - Will we ever find out what happened to Franklin Richards or is that side plot considered done?

(been worried about the little guy)

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member

Evertonian

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brad Hague wrote:
Will we ever find out what happened to Franklin Richards

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

GAH! Just spotted a typo on today’s page. Something for tomorrow.

Raj Dhami
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2020 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This latest issue is awesome!!!  the art, to my eyes at least, just seems to be getting better and better; from the page panel layout, the body language of the characters to the rendering and dynamism of Nightcrawler.

Classic stuff!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 October 2020 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

…the art, to my eyes at least, just seems to be getting better and better…

••

Thanks! That means I'm going in the right direction!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 October 2020 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I like the idea of Kitty being able to leave people (not including their heads) stuck in floors, walls and other objects without causing death or pain, but don't know if that works give the way her powers... errr... work.

••

Seems to me that having one's atoms mixed with those of another object would mess with the various neurological signals being sent thru the body. Including pain. So the effect might almost certainly be lethal, but it would not necessarily be painful.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 October 2020 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

How Kitty's power is SUPPOSED to work, which is how I am playing it in ELSEWHEN:

File this in the same drawer as Manta, who I intended to be able to feel movement thru light (as her namesake does thru water), but who Chris wrote as having--YAWN--"infrared vision". Apparently out of the back of her head!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2020 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Today's page is yet another winner! That panel showing Kitty taking Cyclops through the ground is particularly well done. Those original X-Men uniforms look so good that I sometimes wish there were a way to get the current team into modified versions of them.

Aaaand it looks like something I hoped would happen has!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2020 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Cyclops, looking like... exactly what he should look like. Love it! 

And "boss"! YES!

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |