Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 24 Next >>
Topic: Methadone Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 1  

JB, regarding the exorcised Skrull related story line lifted out of Elsewhen, did you have any plans for the Super Skrull?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 2  

No.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 3  

That Skrull-as-FF-in-front-of-X-men plotline would have been an interesting bookend to the Skrull-as-X-men-in-front-of-FF plotline you did back in FF 250. Devious little cockroaches!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 4  

One of the reasons I forced myself to chop this subplot was knowing that I had done variations of it not once but TWICE before!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 5  

Thanks, JB. I feel like your Super Skrull is one of those characters where your version is the definitive version. In some ways, knowing the Super Skrull was not part of the removed story makes it easier for me. =)
Thanks for sharing the unused pages.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 6  

2 thirds of a mile, that would be about 1 kilometer, wouldn't it. Apt, since Nightcrawler is a European.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 7  

JB.

Going back to the drawing you dropped on page 5, the Skrulls look like they are about to crap their pants.

If that is an Imperial Guard/Shi'ar ship, I would think they must have had some previous dealings with them.

Would the Skrulls see the IG more of a serious threat than the heroes of Earth (FF, Avengers, X-Men...)?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 8  

No longer my concern.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 9  

One of the things I like quite a bit about ELSEWHEN is that it's able to exist apart from the Marvel continuity of decades past. Much like comics used to be, it's telling its own story, not leashed to whatever the company is doing as a meta-narrative that month or season.

I'm glad that the X-Men in this story won't have their adventures interrupted to feature a guest spot from the latest grand plot gimmick dreamed up by a whim of iron.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

Andrew, I agree wholeheartedly. Elsewhen is much better not having to adhere to the restrictions of published comics. In the past few decades I have stepped away from reading comics it does seem like a shift in the medium occurred. Stories went from occasional lightning in a bottle issues to occasional lightning in a bottle story arcs to events driven by stories to their final bastardization of stories driven by events. The form is driving the substance now instead of the other way around. Remember when the Dazzler was forced on the Uncanny X-Men creative team? It's like that idea is driving the medium and being stretched across 12+ issues and/or multiple titles. In the past, much like Elsewhen, Spider-Man could drift into another title for a few pages and be on his way. That is not the current climate for comic books.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

Exactly, Eric. Too many series seem to be limited to what the company's "big picture" is all about. 

Spider-Man is fighting Electro? Hell with that, we have an alien invasion story and Spider-Man has to be fighting aliens! Too bad if you worked up to that story for five months.

The Fantastic Four is on Monster Island, trying to solve the murder of Mole Man? Hell with that, we have a magical battle royale with Agatha Harkness as a player, so the FF MUST be there for it. You'll get to do your little Mole Man story later, the readers won't care...

And on and on. If it's frustrating for readers, it has to be ten times so for creators to have editorial is driving the story.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2020 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 12  

No longer my concern.
----------------------------------
You have such an ability to just cut away from ideas or stories that are no longer viable. I call it the 'Byrne switch'. I know some writers would somehow try to make it work.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 24 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |