Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 50 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.18--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I’ve been looking for some time for a nice “organic” way to bring Sean back into the mix.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"I was needin' a cup of sugar an' faith an' begorrah, who're those aliens, Professor?!" 

(just kidding- nobody stops in to borrow a cup of sugar any more)

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 26 January 2021 at 10:34am

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Interesting turn of events.  Not sure if "harvesting" means an actual "resurrection" here, and even if Lilandra is "resurrected", what condition she would be in mentally (still wants to be dark phoenix or not).  But interesting nonetheless... The IG might get more than they bargained for.

It's most likely I'm still missing something, but I'm still not quite sure why the IG attacked Jean if they knew Lilandra had become dark phoenix, unless maybe they thought Jean could somehow aid them in their mission even without being dark phoenix (who they must know could clean their clocks.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Mr. Byrne, I think I phrased my comment badly. I was just thinking about long distance attacks, not the nature of their effect. Certainly YMMV, and you ARE the imaginary X-Man here.

In my own consideration - certainly Havok's power isn't nearly as focused as Cyclops. If you want a keyhole opened, you ask Scott. If you want a building knocked down, you ask Alex (although Scott's good for that too.) Alex needs a LOT more training to get to subtlety, and even then - not likely. I'll ditto that for Lorna.

I included Iceman because he is best used attacking at range. Surely an ice "beam" is physical and not so subtle. But an ice ball attack is a bit less "personal", and a freeze attack strikes me as a pretty good ranged attack; Ororo can do the same, but with much less subtlety.

Nightcrawler, to me, is a crossover between ranged and melee. Undoubtedly his attacks are hand to hand. But how he gets there is a long distance type of attack. Since it seems that he can teleport in zero time (rather the definition of teleporting, I would say), it's sort of like a long distance punch. But certainly it's impractical to port in, lay a couple of punches, and port out again.

Perhaps I ought to consider Sunfire; a true blue ranged attacker. And with enough ego and character to go up against Wolverine. A Sunfire cameo might be nice... he's an ANAO X-Man too, kind of.

And without a doubt, Banshee's power diminishes over long distances; he's not the line-of-sight attacker that Cyclops and Marvel Girl are.

Again, just my silly discussion; I wouldn't think of contradicting you, but just chatting with you. Thanks for your reply on this!

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Also, I really love the physical contact between Jean and Scott, as well as Scott's words of concern, on this latest page. I'm just a romantic at times...

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Maybe it's more like they found Jean was alive and well, knew she had been Dark Phoenix, and wanted to neutralize her before she had the chance to take them out.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member

Evertonian

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Given Jean's connection to the Phoenix entity it would have been surprising if the IG hadn't sought her out.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Imperial Guard's actions stem from their imperfect knowledge of the situation.

From the Imperial Guard's perspective... Jean was separated from the Phoenix entity, a process that the X-Men were told was a psychic lobotomy, but in reality was a separation process, removing the Phoenix entity, while also damaging Jean's mind.
[Outside the Guard's knowledge, Lilandra and her closest advisors discover that Jean was in fact a copy and decide to keep the secret to themselves].

Lilandra becomes the Phoenix and the Guard are heavily damaged. Cybernetically patched up, they come to earth in a bid to rescue their Empress if they can and remove the threat of the Phoenix.

They come to earth and start with Jean Grey, who they discover has her mind back -- not the neutralised child thing they expected. What do they decide to do? They decide to take her prisoner, presumably with a view to interrogation to find out just what is going on. Oracle arrives at her window, says she is a prisoner. Jean attacks her. And so on.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Important to keep in mind that it was Jean who attacked Oracle, not vice versa.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think Jean gets a pass on attacking a menacing alien.

Now that the action is settled down a bit, Oracle does look tragic. Duty over a peaceful death?

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If somebody tried to take me prisoner with no explanation of who they were and why I was in trouble, I'd probably react somewhat negatively too ;-)

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Well, it seems that interaction between Jean and Oracle has not yet come to an end...
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 50 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |