Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Qs for JB - Maximoffs Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Scott and Alex have essentially the same power. They harness the same energy.

That’s not the case with Wanda, Pietro and Magneto.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I remember in the old days when some heroes and villains had costumes, origins, and powers that simply weren't explained - and people accepted that. "How can Superman lift a car?" "How can Captain America/Cyclops get all those ricochets figured out?" "How can Zatara/Zatanna* make magic happen simply by saying words backwards?" How do the Scarlet Witch's powers work?"

Maybe just enjoy the characters without knowing every single detail of their powers and origins? That's kind of fun too. How does Batman know every square inch of Gotham City? Because he does and the "how" isn't very interesting or fun. Sometimes a little mystery is enjoyable; sometimes it makes a good story after the fact; and sometimes it's a later-rather-than-sooner type of origin. All cool with me!

* "Is Zatara/Zatanna their first name, or their last name, or what?" C'mon. It's just their characters - especially sorcerers. Ask Hercules or Thor or Orion what their real names are. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In contrast to DC's Wonder Woman and Supergirl, Marvel heroines tended to have more passive powers... the epitome being they only needed to aim a gesture from a distance: Invisible Woman with her invisible force fields, Wasp with her sting, Marvel Girl with her telekinesis, Scarlet Witch her improbability 'hex' cast. No physical contact required. Medusa with her hair was a bit of an exception though the hair being long provided some distance.

I've always liked Wanda best when her power is explained as an improbability suspension power but a bit of a surprise each time as to how that will manifest, or if it would be enough; otherwise you could just have her solve every problem or threat with just the right specific 'hex' all the time.

I liked the original idea that Polaris (aka Magentrix briefly) might be Magneto's daughter, but it turned out she wasn't and the Magneto she was in contact with was ret-conned to be a robot, and then she was again, and I don't really know anymore. Now I've just read a couple much later X-Men where she has a sister in the Savage Land with those #62-63 'mutates' named Zaladane. Lorna Dane... Zala Dane. A Magneto daughter ending up at odds with him was very appealing, and Wanda and Pietro go back to before Polaris, so it's a great fit for them to be his children I think. There were various 'or are they' stories, the ill-fated WWII heroes The Whizzer and Miss America as their 'real' parents for a while (and thus the last name Frank), but it was going back to Magneto which expanded into more interesting areas and characters; the great image of those puppets, the cow nurse of the high evolutionary's new races (based on Cordwainer Smith stories) and the Knights Of Wundagore, those gypsy caravans... the more visual the better! The Maximoff name to me represented a tie to Eastern Europe and the Romany people.

But... now I think they aren't Magneto's children any more? Bah.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I love Steve Englehart and find that his instincts for most characters were right on target, with few exceptions like "Snap" Wilson and having Wanda study under Agatha Harkness to become a real witch.  That was the beginning of a long, slippery, unfortunate slope for her.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

…Magentrix…

••

She had the power to turn things red?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
…Magentrix…

QUOTE:
She had the power to turn things red?

<insert laughing emoji here>
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I love Steve Englehart and find that his instincts for most characters were right on target, with few exceptions like... Wanda study under Agatha Harkness to become a real witch.

••

Englehart also introduced "real" magic to DOCTOR STRANGE.

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
But... now I think they aren't Magneto's children any more? Bah.

Not only that, they aren't even mutants now. Krakoa calls her the Pretender and some mutants act like she's the devil. Meanwhile, Polaris has been retconned as Magneto's daughter and desperately seeks his approval, despite being raised by loving non-mutant humans.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

When creative bankruptcy become business as usual.......

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Dyslexic fingers are a blessing and a curse. :^)

Am I the only one who has to continually correct their typing on Fantatsic Four? Also Metropoils happens. I used to be a really decent typist on old Remington manual typewriters or even Smith-Corona electrics, but even thirty years of various computer keyboards I can't seem to fully retrain my fingers.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As I get older, I'm not nearly as accurate as once I was when typing. But I've done a LOT of "teh", "adn", and such. I hate it but a man ages, and skills deteriorate.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Polaris has been retconned as Magneto's daughter"

Wouldn't that mean that she's not actually a mutant?
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |