Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: The Stratford Man Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Henchman

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Are there any examples of a member of the nobility being "outed" as having written for the common folk, and suffering disgrace as consequence?

Why, yes.

William Stanley the 6th Earl of Derby (who married Elizabeth De Vere in 1595) was a well-travelled patron of the arts. In 1599 a Jesuit spy George Fenner complained that Derby was "busiest only penning comedies for the common players" to support the Roman Catholic cause. In 1601 Elizabeth wrote to Robert Cecil against a ban on her husband's involvement in plays.
Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

William Stanley the 6th Earl of Derby (who married Elizabeth De Vere in 1595) was a well-travelled patron of the arts. In 1599 a Jesuit spy George Fenner complained that Derby was "busiest only penning comedies for the common players"

W.S !  Wouldn't he be another contender with those initials ???

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 2:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ahh. I checked. He is among the likely candidates and has been since the 19th century...

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Steven: And again, this brings me back to the question I asked before - what is the basis of alternative authorship theories?

The basis for the theories is an interest in knowing the truth.

As soon as anyone looked into who Shakespeare really was there came questions about the official story. The deeper one looks, the more questions crop up.

There was no attempt at a biography of his life as author for 300 years after the birth of the Shaxper.

In that time, a mystery developed. Who was this man? What, if anything, of the man is in the work?

Small, unquestioned links were established to the Stratford man, but many who bothered to look into it were unsatisfied.

250 years later came the first biography. A few years after that came the first book questioning the identity of the author - Delia Bacon's 1857 "The Philosophy of the Plays of Shakspere Unfolded". Bacon was a brilliant historian/lecturer sponsored by Nathanial Hawthorne (who provided the preface for her Shakspere book).

The Stratfordian case has inertia and tradition but little else to satisfy anyone curious about who the man was who wrote these works.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 27 January 2021 at 11:47am

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Mark: The consequence is not the issue.
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
Steven: ?

I thought that was precisely the point of the Oxfordian, or anonymous noble author argument - that they daren't let their authorship be known, because of the consequences to them. Apologies if I've misunderstood this point.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------
Mark: At this point, you have really failed to uphold your points beyond repeating them.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- -
Steven: My points have been repeated, and sometimes expanded upon, because they haven't been countered, or satisfactorily answered.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- -
Mark: You were taught the "fact" that the Author was unschooled. Therefore, some questionable references to such become, to you, unshakable proof that this is so.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- --
Steven: I wasn't taught that Shakespeare was unschooled. I believe that he did go to the King Edward's School, while cheerfully conceding that there's no solid proof that he did.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------
Mark: The legal expertise found in Shakespeare's works lay this notion to waste on its own. But then he does it again with medicine. And again with knowledge of Italy. And again with knowledge of falconry, etc.
Steven: The plays do display a strong sense of legal understanding (see particularly the Salic law scene in Henry V, interminable though it it). But as Oxfordians - or anti-Stratfordians, if you'd rather - themselves note, one of the things we do know about Will of Stratford is that he was a litigious man. Indeed, this often forms part of their case against him - he seems to sue for fairly innocuous reasons, but doesn't seem to press suits when it comes to the publication of bad quartos of his plays (or "the plays", if you'd prefer).

The plays also show repeated errors in history and geography that are difficult - not impossible, but difficult - to reconcile with a classically-educated, well-travelled author. And to a deeply erudite contemporary like Ben Jonson, Shakespeare's errors were comical.
Mark: Taken as a whole, the amount of research that Shaxper is alleged to have done 
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- ---
Steven: Oh, again with the "Shaxper"! Look at the spelling of his name in the royal patent creating, or confirming, The King's Men! :)

And what rare, or virtually unaccessible, texts, are you referring to, and in respect of what plays?
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- ----
Mark: "Genius" doesn't begin to cover it.
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
Steven: Shakespeare was a literary genius, who could write brilliantly on subjects that he didn't always fully understand.

The plays aren't academic treatises. They were meant to be entertaining. And they were, and still are. That they have factual errors in no way undermines their artistic success.
Steven, replying to Mark rRegarding the history of alternative authorship theories - I won't repost the post, directly above this one  - yes, alternative authorship theories begin to gain purchase as a kind of reply, or response, to a similar growth in Bardolatry. 

However frustrated Stratfordians may be over Oxfordian, Marlovian, Baconian, etc theories of authorship, they need to acknowledge that  it's their own insistence on Shakespeare's infallible genius that have provoked them. Acknowledging his collaborators - Nashe, Kyd, Marlowe, Middleton, Fletcher, etc - and accepting that every line by "Shakespeare" probably wasn't written by him may be a bitter pill to swallow, but it will lead to a greater appreciation of the works, a correct allocation of credit, and a refutation of alternative authorship.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- --
Mark: The Stratfordian case has inertia and tradition.
Steven: Oh, there's lots of myths and wild speculation, no doubt. But there's a lot of evidence that can't just be shrugged at.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- -----
Cory: Fenner's complaint is that Derby is undertaking frivolous work rather than dedicating himself to the Catholic cause. 

Steven: The latter might be considered treasonous, but in what sense is the former causing Derby to suffer disgrace?
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------
Cory: In 1601 Elizabeth wrote to Robert Cecil against a ban on her husband's involvement in plays.
Steven: Unless I've misunderstood your comment, Elizabeth was pleading with Cecil that her husband be allowed to continue writing plays for common people - is that correct? If so, that demonstrates that however incommensurate such an activity was for someone of noble birth - and I'm not denying that, incidentally! - it wasn't something scandalous that had to be suppressed at all costs?

Edited by Steven Brake on 27 January 2021 at 12:55pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Jesus Christ. Who is saying what in that post?

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

@Brian: 

:)

I've tidied it up a bit. Hopefully it's clearer now!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Steven: Oh, again with the "Shaxper"!

Don't look for this to change. We can at least assume the man was comfortable with the way he spelled his own name, can't we?

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Steven: My points have been repeated, and sometimes expanded upon, because they haven't been countered, or satisfactorily answered.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

Your point is the Works show evidence that the Author was not highly educated.

Your evidence are some mistakes in the works and references which you interpret as Greene and Jonson claiming the Author had a poor education.

This claim is countered by experts in law pointing out massive knowlege in the cannon and examples of obscure legal references that require special access to legal records and special knowledge to comprehend.

Your rebuttal is to repeat your claim that there are some mistakes in the works and that Greene and Jonson didn't think he was educated.

That's not an argument.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 27 January 2021 at 1:47pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Steven: Acknowledging his collaborators - Nashe, Kyd, Marlowe, Middleton, Fletcher, etc - and accepting that every line by "Shakespeare" probably wasn't written by him may be a bitter pill to swallow, but it will lead to a greater appreciation of the works, a correct allocation of credit, and a refutation of alternative authorship.

Claiming that other authors did the work is a confirmation, not a refutation of alternative authorship.

It also leads nowhere that solves the legion of mysteries raised by the Authorship question.

Once we agree that Stratford didn't write it all, why must we cling to the notion that he wrote any?

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Mark: Don't look for this [the spelling of Shaxper] to change. We can at least assume the man was comfortable with the way he spelled his own name, can't we?
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------
Steven: Oh, don't be disingenuous. The insinuation is that William Shaxper of Stratford-Upon-Avon got muddled up with William Shakespeare, the pseudonym of the true author.

Look at the image of the royal patent confirming the creation of The King's Men. The second on the list is William Shakespeare, and that is exactly how it is spelt.
Mark: Your point is the Works show evidence that the Author was not highly educated. Your evidence are some mistakes in the works and references which you interpret as Greene and Jonson claiming the Author had a poor education.
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------- -
Steven: Jonson's own comments to Drummond are unequivocal. They may be unfair, tainted with snobbery and driven by jealousy, but he's clearly condemning what he sees as Shakespeare's lack of education.

Even in the commendatory verse in which he lauds Shakespeare, Jonson comments on his "small Latin" and "less Greek".

Greene doesn't specifically comment on Shakespeare's education, but he's similarly annoyed about what he sees as a presumptive attitude, condemning him as someone masquerading as something quite other than what he really is.

These were Shakespeare's contemporaries, men who knew him. It's difficult to see how any later critic can just dismiss them.

You insist that the legal references in Shakespeare came from "restricted records" - what is your source for this? As I understand it, English laws and statutes were written in English, or translated from French into English, for older records. And, as I've pointed out, and indeed as anti-Stratfordians have pointed out, Shakespeare - or "Shaxper", if you'd prefer to use the variant that he intermittently used - seems to have known his law and been rather litigious.

Most critics acknowledge the errors in the plays, and can sometimes have great fun in pointing them out. Such errors in no way diminish the achievement of the plays, but they do counter the likelihood of them having been written by a supremely educated nobleman.
Mark: Claiming that other authors did the work is a confirmation, not a refutation of alternative authorship.
I'm not claiming that other authors wrote the plays, I'm pointing out that Shakespeare worked in collaboration with other authors in writing the plays.

It's accepted that he and Marlowe wrote the Henry VI plays together (possibly alongside Nashe, and I believe Richard III is also seen as a Marlowe-Shakespeare collaboration).

Middleton's hand has been detected in Macbeth, Timon Of Athens, and possible Measure For Measure and All's Well That Ends Well.

Fletcher is seen as having worked with Shakespeare to create Henry VIII.

And "Shaksper" fooled all of them into thinking he was a writer?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

About Shakespeare and the law... speaking as both a lawyer and law professor...

I don't think that the plays show either an informed amateur or an absolute practicing expert. But there is technical expertise in the art itself, woven right into the fabric. I understand this is a literary judgment as well as one based on legal knowledge, but just speaking completely pro-Stratford, this conclusion strikes me as self-evident. Many orthodox scholars posit that Shaksper could have gotten his particular knowledge as a young clerk, although of course that's just speculation. A colleague of mine, and one powerfully pro-Stratford, has added to the speculation ironically based on Mark Twain, suggesting that just as Twain had a lawyer acquaintance review and provide legal ideas for his "Pudd'nhead Wilson," so too could Shaksper have had a similar acquaintance or set of acquaintances.

I think there's a mystery here, surely. As has been mentioned in this thread above, the Gravedigger Scene in Hamlet has for over two hundred years been recognized as closely parodying the case of Hales v. Petit, featuring the suicide of Judge James Hales of Gray's Inn, a case decided in 1562 and first reported in 1571, but not translated from the Law French in use in England until the 18th century. If Shaksper wrote Hamlet some 25 or more years later, as has been thought, how did he come to learn of what was contemporary juicy gossip for lawyers at Gray's Inn a quarter century earlier, when Shaksper was only seven years old and far off in Stratford, based on a case in a Norman-French-Legal language of which he had no knowledge at all? From his supposed lawyer acquaintances too, we can guess...? (Awfully helpful, his buddies, in practically every play!)

But, of course, you know who haunts this question? None other than De Vere, who began studies at, naturally, Gray's Inn, in 1567, which was, go figure, exactly between Hales being decided and reported, precisely just when its subjects and subject matter would have been every lawyer's lips.

(I'm a Stratfordian, just to be on the record -- but not because I'm all-fired convinced in every possible way.)

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |